1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is USCM hostile?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Darrian77, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Darrian77

Darrian77 Void-Bound Voyager

So while playing on my human I heard online about USCM (human military) bunkers and thought it would be awesome to live among my fellow humans. However, after finally finding a bunker, I was surprised and disappointed when the soldiers greeted me with bullet... why is the USCM likr this? I recall a codex entry describing a new policy where they welcome friendly aliens inntothe bunker for possible trade and recruitment. While I can understand xenophobia after earth's loss and even trying to make the bunkers restricted for isolation during the earth crisis, you would think that they would be NEUTRAL towards humans at the very least. After all, you are playing as a refugee from earth and this is the human military. It isn't that unreasonable to expect them to try and shelter and help you or at least ask you to leave. Are there any plans to change this in the future? It would be nice to finally live alongside my fellow humans

2. lupadim

lupadim Pangalactic Porcupine

It would be great if the races would co-operate (glitch castles will be neutral with glitches, USCM will be neutral with humans). It would be interesting if each race had some kind of "base" (a dungeon), and if you find a dungeon of your own race, you can get quests there or something like that, and maybe even be able to wear an uniform and work there.

3. Darrian77

This would be really cool. And the neutrality dosnt even have to be race locked. The USCM is supposed to allow friendly aliens in the bunker, according to a codex entry (mobile phone wont let me paste link, look up "A New Policy") and there is also a codex entry for a glitch castle where the glitch in the csdtle invited the stranger in and treated him/her with genuine hospitality. (Look up "A Guest In The Castle) do why do they seem to hate us?

4. EldritchSandwich

EldritchSandwich Void-Bound Voyager

The way I understand it, at this point the USCM are basically like the Enclave from Fallout; they like to think of themselves as the last official representatives of the human government, but in practice they're basically a bunch of paranoid gun nuts who'd rather disavow the rest of the human race and start over. When they see you, they're probably not thinking 'oh, a fellow human and a last precious survivor of our race' so much as 'oh great, one of those disgusting sub-human peasants looking to bleed us of the last of our valuable resources.'

So there's that.

Also, given their general portrayal, I'm pretty sure "A New Policy" is more or less about the USCM luring in and forcibly conscripting visitors rather than having any real friendly contact. At least that's how it comes across to me.

5. claudekennilol

claudekennilol Space Kumquat

Same reason I can't walk into Guantanamo.

6. Sir Orange

Sir Orange Ketchup Robot

They're paranoid but at least they're not assholes like the Hylotl.

7. hrafnkel

hrafnkel Subatomic Cosmonaut

In my headcanon, after Earth fell to whatever monster destroyed it, the human military wings mostly fell under the control of isolationist warlords and whatnot. Human history has shown that this is prone to happening when the central authority disappears. I haven't really filled out my human codex yet though so who knows. Wish they'd get human settlements (that are friendly) added in, though.

Hawk Novablast likes this.
  8. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Even if they would be friendly my main would still hunt them all down with his nice little army ^^

The USCM is corrupted, it must be destroyed hehe

9. Starboundcommunity566

Starboundcommunity566 Pangalactic Porcupine

There isn't suppose to be any advantage to being a race whatsoever...I don't like it, but its the way it is.

It would also be strange if you were on a server and you could go and loot places while others are stuck fighting the guards.

10. ClixBlox

ClixBlox Star Wrangler

Because they are human. This is the same with all two-eyed beings. If they could only open their third eye so that they could see that things don't need to be so aggressive.

11. Mouse Invictus

Mouse Invictus Void-Bound Voyager

Agreed. I would like to see this too. Maybe you are given a "test" mission to detirmine loyalty. You are then given access to bunker/base/etc, given a uniform, quarters, and access to more missions. Too over the top?

Hawk Novablast likes this.
  12. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

Alright let me address... everything... in this thread. First of all, the USCM's new policy, is (I personally believe) years after the events that transpire for the player, or one speculation is that it will occur after a certain benchmark in gameplay and then the USCM bunkers will be open to everyone. As it is now, the last orders that the USCM got were to stand put and not let ANYONE in, including humans. This is why they are still hostile to humans. And unless the USCM does change it's mind after a benchmark, there will be no neutral USCM villages, because, well, humans were stupid and didn't colonize anywhere. As for glitch castles, those are weird because the glitch have agreed to never let a monarch take control again, the "kings" in castles are likely very paranoid of other glitch attempting to kill them, and either way you're intruding so "intruders will be shot, survivors will be shot again".

13. DannyMaku

DannyMaku Subatomic Cosmonaut

My guess is the USMC was headquartered on Earth, which got ripped up by the great tentacle monster, which threw the military into disarray.

14. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

There's no need to guess that.
    Last transmissions from USCM command:
    People who are more interested: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/starbound-lore.45322/

15. Namiwakiru

Namiwakiru Black Hole Surfer

You are right in theory.
    But I think the direction it has been taken also warrants some realism.

The USCM was a military, but with the destruction of its supply lines and command structure, it's just a group of remnants who just happen to wear USCM clothing.

The codex you found might have been sent to them by a surviving unit and completely ignored when faced with quickly dwindling supplies. It's no secret that we as humans can sometimes quickly lose sight of our humanity when faced with fear and destruction.

As it stands, most races have evil factions floating around, the Avian zealots, the Glitch faction who inhabit those strange medical pyramids and the Apex lab factions. While those factions may be made up of certain races, they are not an indication of that race in its entirety .

Even now humans while not facing destruction fail to treat our fellow man as equals. If just being human was enough then we would not be such an unaccepting bunch

And you can live among your fellow humans, just build a town and fill it with human spawners.

It would be nice to have even more factions as main and side quests are added in the future though. Can you imagine landing on a planet and finding a USCM unit defending a civilian town from another USCM group after they fell out?
    Maybe even make a choice, join the good side and chase off the bad or join with the bad and wipe out the goody goodies for a share of the spoils.

Hopefully these sorts of things begin to appear in the game, but as it stands race is not a solid defining aspect which can be viewed in black and white, and I must say that creates a more interesting universe.

Hawk Novablast, LastDay and nababoo like this.
  16. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

It's important to note that the command structure was not entirely destroyed. General Kale survived and made it to mars. As well, it would seem there is an officer in each USCM base.

Hawk Novablast, nababoo and Elate like this.
  17. penguin055

penguin055 Pangalactic Porcupine

Because they're all a bunch of jerks. Now go kill them.
    Also, kinda on topic, when you free Florans from those Floran prison dungeons, they attack the guards, then attack you. Those ungrateful little weeds.
    Another kinda on topic thing, as my Avian character, when going into an Avian dungeon, the guards attack me, calling me "grounded" among other things. I just think that's pretty cool.

LastDay and Serenity like this.
  18. Darrian77

Many good points made in this thread. I hadn't thought of the various commanders going rouge and the bunkers locking down to solely protect themselves, and now that I've thought about it, the gun greetings make a lot more sense. It does add quite a bit possibilities later, like a civil war of sorts among future human settlements and rouge USCM units.

Yeah, I just learned about the spawners actually. I found one of the prisons and after clearing it out, I've started restoring it and converting it from a prison to a future colony for humans. Thanks though!

19. Balmer

Balmer Big Damn Hero

It might be nice if the game world were different from the real world. I'm not so sure I'd try just walking into a military facility with my gun, ore and all my swag.

It'd be nice if humans weren't most famous for killing other humans.

20. Buttlord

Buttlord Orbital Explorer

They shouldnt be violent towards Humans by default, IMO. The "No race should have advantages" thing is dumb.