1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Why im highly disapointed about the team from Starbound part 2

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by leonD, May 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leonD

leonD Cosmic Narwhal

Well yea, i re-role the topic again.

What i mean is my topic here http://community.playstarbound.com/...apointed-about-the-team-from-starbound.22335/

Why i do this again?
    "So I just finished skimming this thread, and I've locked it as it's just become a large argument."

Exactly, that IS the reason WHY i re-open a new topic about - its a large argument and if someone FEAR about to talk about it, tell me a real reason.

My last topic got over 8 pages with only one respont form myself. The most people didnt understand my last topic and only said "its a rage topic" or stuff like "stop crying"

so again:
    - its not about the beta
    - its not about the release date
    - its not about i hate starbound
    - its fucking hell not about something like that!

I try again to explain my reasons, cases and opinions what i try to say, clear and easy, softly and not in any wierd words.

Image you create a game, a good game so you say. IF you give out from yoruself a release date, as sample.....it was Easter 2012, i guess when you say it self you would say the game is as good as finish this time if it was.....let me say beginning 2012 this time. IF you say now you cant hold the date AND you canceled the date by yourself and make a new date, let me say....end 2012 and you bring up pictures from how the menu looks like in....summer 2012...should that not done already before easter?

got it?

IF not, PLEASE read my last topic i dont wana explain here all again.

and when i say read i MEAN read it and not fly over the text like good 8 pages of (mostly) not understanding my main reasons- answered guys out there.

I will see, people who understands me and who not.

Gaikang and Sousuke Kuroda like this.
  2. Starsly

Starsly Big Damn Hero

Ok, so this is what i'm getting: you are butthurt over the fact that Starbound did not come when it was said to come, well i have news for you, things don't always turn out as planned. It's a big game and making games takes time, for most of their developing time, the developers were not able to live a normal life, and they were not able to code and do things such as that during most of the time.

3. leonD

leonD Cosmic Narwhal

heh, nice you read it, now read my last topic and explain what you learned. i guess nothing.

4. The topic by itself is fine as long as people don't start derailing it and it stays constructive (which the last one was not).

IndieGamerRid and WoxandWarf like this.
  5. enthusedpanda

enthusedpanda Pangalactic Porcupine

Dude, if you want to hire me as a totally neutral third party to proofread your posts and make them non-pidgin English, I'm game. This is painful.

6. leonD

leonD Cosmic Narwhal

ok other sample. you make a first person shooter and you said you build it but only the stages are ready. after the r.date is over, you show pictures from your first gun. got it? guess not sorry.

7. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

Hi again, I understand what you are Implying and what you are saying so here goes! The dates that where given where educated guesses and after they failed to get the game out when they wanted they pushed it back to simply saying "somewhere in 2013". As for the code? I have programmed before and one little thing can delay for a bit . An example would be the most recent icon glitch, while fixing up shields all icons where bronked and it took a decent bit to fix it, i dont even know if it has been fixed! Now imagine removing an entire feature, they would have to engineer new code for everything and that would delay everything a few months. Look at the mock ups and the recent screen shots, things have improved majesticly! Side note:they just got crafting working so its safe to assume they have been working on core mechanics like stability and not- break-everythingality. The game is far from playable for the common people

plasmaman2, Gorshum and Dagorran like this.
  8. Dagorran

Dagorran Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The thing is, it might not have been done. With all the recent updates it looks like the core of the game was the hardest part and because of various reasons it took A LOT longer than they expected or wanted. Now that they have the core system done they are fixing up the UI and making it nice and shiny, adding new items, and generally making the game better. At this point it more than likely is coming out by the end of 2013.

Edit: There was also the thing where they developed a whole space station concept then trashed it for individual ships because they felt it would cause problems in multiplayer.

9. How about we try this; I clean up all the posts discussing how this topic is a bad idea, and then see how long the topic can go without someone mentioning that, posting a single image, etc.?

Ghoul159, Ketoth, Corsair114 and 4 others like this.
  10. Spike

Spike Supernova

Now, remember, menus might be the last thing game devs want to add. They can test games without menus with cheats they use for the game; the interface and the crafting recipes are there for our sake, so they might be developed LAST. This has also been mentioned in the very last post on your previous post, where one of the mods quoted Tiy saying that they have a bulk of thing done already.

11. TheLoanArranger

TheLoanArranger Ketchup Robot

This. The order that things get done is not necessarily the same as the order you think they should. It doesn't mean time was wasted.

IndieGamerRid, Khood and WoxandWarf like this.
  12. Magician Xy

Magician Xy Ketchup Robot

I realize this will probably get locked also, but i want to make sure this gets in here before people are encouraged by this post to whine with similar complaints:

Making a game is a lot of hard work. And I don't mean "I'll work hard for a week or so and then I'll be finished." I mean months and months, if not years and years, of thinking, planning, designing, preparing, deliberating, coding, testing, managing, etc etc etc go into making a game.

Think about it. What all goes into making a game, if you were going to start doing it?
    1. What's the game going to be about? What will the player be trying to do? What's the game's setting? What sort of monsters will they be facing? Will there be a plot? What items can the player get? How should the player progress through item tiers? Should the game be multiplayer? How many players should be able to play at once? How will the dynamics of the game change with multiple people? What will the world look like? I can think of a hundred more questions. These are all basic questions that we need answers to, and we haven't even started coding yet
    2. Graphics. You need to create graphics for all the items, all the characters, the armors, the weapons, the terrain, the planets, the liquids... Now add in animations. That's a huge drain in time on its own. Oh, and make sure those graphics look consistent. And they better be good quality too.
    3. Coding. Oh my GOD does this take long. There's some complex game logic that goes on behind the scenes, and that doesn't even include infrastructure code (server communications, data storage, loading times, lag reduction, etc etc). Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of lines of code need to be programmed. And now test all of it to make sure there are as little bugs as possible.
    4. Add in community suggestions, new features the devs thought of, and them realizing something they designed wasn't fun after all and they need to change it... if you're upset it's taking more than one year to make this game, you're not only extremely impatient, you're also very unrealistic.

Gorshum and WoxandWarf like this.
  13. leonD

leonD Cosmic Narwhal

still, should that not be done already or is here the new Duke N. Forever synrome break free again? Self HL2 which was over 3 times canceled hat good reasons and they SHOW them all. I mean why i build a game (which i did long long time ago...i can still remember~)

If i say i build a race game, it should come out end 2012 and in the middle of 2013 i still dont have finish one race track, people would ask me what have i done all the time dont they??

14. Haunt

Haunt Pangalactic Porcupine

Look. It's not like you paid money for the game a year ago and now you're being let down. You could've seen the game in action, running quite well, several times before through Tiy's streams. It's fine to be impatient about getting something you want, and I'm almost with you for how long I've waited. But fact is, there's nothing much to do except wait. Whining won't magically finish the game and release it only for your pleasure.

Also look at this post, the first letter of each paragraph after the "Hey again guys," spells BETA! P'raps this is what you've been waiting for.

IndieGamerRid and Starsly like this.
  15. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

Complaining about a lack/delayed source of entertainment sounds silly to me.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  16. Spike

Spike Supernova

Well actually, unimportant stuff like menus items and crafting recipes are incredibly easy to make, and are not needed for them to test out the core mechanics of the game. These things (including items, yes) might just be the finishing touches on a game, since they're small things that doesn't need to be addressed for the devs to test out the other features of the game. Let's not try to say that the devs have done nothing over the summer; they have done many thing, such as physics, light, and the famous random generation code starbound will be known for. Let's be a bit patient; I'm sure the devs are hard at work finishing up the game, and we can probably see it in the summer of 2014, after they push the date back for a bit more polishing.

Dagorran likes this.
  17. enthusedpanda

enthusedpanda Pangalactic Porcupine

leonD is Tiy going schizo after a three-day binge. He's given away too much.

IndieGamerRid and WoxandWarf like this.
  18. leonD

leonD Cosmic Narwhal

2 years worked at one rpg, still it was not finish
    3 years creating a privat jump in run
    3 years work on a base for an pen and paper.

questions? Oh and no i dont used any maker. ^^ back to my topic.

yea how i said already whoudnt they ask me?

yea please do that. that would help up the topic more alive and less off topic.

19. TheLoanArranger

TheLoanArranger Ketchup Robot

If you had finished a whole lot of other things that had to come before that, they'd be just as silly as you asking this question now. Seriously, it's been said over and over again, the order doesn't necessarily match what you think it should be. There are thousands of tasks and most of what non-programmers would consider "short" tasks actually happen at the end.

IndieGamerRid, Gorshum and WoxandWarf like this.
  20. UncleCoord

UncleCoord Big Damn Hero

I am not entirely sure I understand your complaint even having read your posts...

You are upset because no progress has been made on the game? Have you seen the front page? Watched the live streams?

This game has had a HUGE amount of progress, now we are getting to the end it will speed up, as we have seen in the daily updates.

But that is because absolutely massive amounts of work have already gone into the game, now its all tweaking and minor features... so that is what they have done...

This brings me back to my initial thought... what exactly is your complaint?

Haunt and WoxandWarf like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.