1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Who Are the Eyeguard?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Owl_Stalker, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

This is an
    Eyeguard
    EyiGuard.png

"Hai der."
    This thread is for discussing just what the heck these things are and what they want to do.

The Eyeguard (Also known as Winged Demons, Dragon Guards, Eyemen, Looksie Doosies) are a group of aggressive people from the Eye Biome. They spawn in structures that appear to be glitch. They are commonly sighted with tools of torture (Ex: Shackles or Pilllories) and are sometimes found near piles of book.
    Qoutoes:
    • ▪I... see... you!
    • ▪You can't escape our gaze!
    • ▪Death comes for us all... today it comes for you.
    • ▪Your blood will appease our lords...
    • ▪Something wicked this way comes... me!
    • ▪Abandon hope, pitiable explorer.
    • ▪I will show you the true meaning of fear.
    • ▪We will tear your soul apart!
    • ▪The Universe is a cruel place, as you will see.
    • ▪Birds, fish, monkeys... they're all just meat to us.
    • ▪The dread lords thank you in advance for your sacrifice.
    • ▪We shall reap what you sow!
    • ▪The universe will burn, and we shall watch.
    • ▪Prepare to embrace the darkness.
    • ▪Your soul smells tasty.
    • ▪I am become Death, destroyer of worlds.
    • ▪Your story ends here, little traveller.
    • ▪I don't know who these guys are, I'm just going with the flow, sorry!

So, who do you think these ominous figures are! Discuss and theorize!​

Relten likes this.
  2. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

there is another thread of this, ill see if I can find it

EDIT: couldnt find it... looked in many different places

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
    Serenity likes this.
  3. LethalShade

LethalShade Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There is an entry about them in the Bone Dragon codex :

Feathery Dust likes this.
  4. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

Despite the fact that they are indeed glitch underneath the armor, I believe this is a placeholder, and that they are actually their own race.
    ...That's all I got.

5. Feathery Dust

Feathery Dust Spaceman Spiff

Whatever they are they are they seem like a cult to me, but probably a very different one than the regular cultists.
    It seems as if they want the world to end, and cause as much suffering as possible, and in my opinion that makes them the "Eventually Main Bad Guys" for the main storyline. What I mean by that is that once for example: An Apex takes down the MiniKnog in their main storyline they find out that there's a bigger threat out there, which I am sure would be the Eyeguards.

6. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Im guessing some Lovecraftian Cthulu sort of Deal going on with these, though Im inclimed to say these might be Glitch due to a Malfunction in the, how do you say it, intentional execution of the Self Awareness Glitch, discovered by Platinum Ace.

So far,its the only theory Ive got, them being Glitch and this level of "Coruption" being exibited, or perhaps some power related to these "Altars"...

Probably Tentacle Worshipers, strange alegiance, but live and let live, eh?

Serenity and Hatsya Souji like this.
  7. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

Personally, I think they are Glitch. My own theory develops around a new Glitch cult, similar to medieval, apocalyptic heresies. We have to consider the possibility that actually not every Glitch may be happy to live alone, and that not every Glitch is able to live his individuality as we humans do. In that case, some of these Glicth may have founded a cult which works as a new "collective". This may also be true when looking at the infamous cultists. If you lose the connection to your regular, everyday life, it may lead to a somewhat extreme situation in which you give your life to a crude community. Think of those people who become part of a sect when they lose hope or sense of life.

LastDay likes this.
  8. Zavod101

Zavod101 Phantasmal Quasar

They seem to be glitch, but according to the last lines there seems to be something wrong with their way of speaking. So they're most likely a different cult

9. ravenscroftranch

ravenscroftranch Industrial Terraformer

i would guess theres some creature that spreads the eyeball biome so maybe this creature reprograms the glitch to serve it or this group of glitch serve this creature and perhaps its a human behind it since it seems they dident mention humans or plants actualy so maybe its a cult that was founded by a canabalistic florian..
    hmm interesting and maybe the florian reprogramed the glitch to serve it as their dark lord ...

10. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

I just realized that the Eyeguard is racist against meat.

11. Feathery Dust

Woah, that's a revelation. If that's true we can know for sure that them being Glitch isn't a placeholder.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  12. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

That still leave the possibility of them being some other kind of robot...

13. Feathery Dust

Possibly, but I still think they're a Glitch cult.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  14. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

They might be a part of the Glitch outcasts corrupted by the Oculemons, which may be vaguely tied to the Tentacles (Tentaculans)

15. Nutric

Nutric Pangalactic Porcupine

So those guys are Platinum Race now? :D

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  16. Cloudhopper

Cloudhopper Weight of the Sky

Eye don't know what they are, but I think we're gonna find out. :iswydt:

In all seriousness, I hope that the Eyeguards, as well as the Agarans and the Rainbow People, get their own sidequest-storylines.

Corrupted by Oculemons? I don't think that a plant regularly consumed by Florans could have such a drastic effect on the Glitch. Especially with their 'biology' being composed of mechanical components.

17. Feathery Dust

That's an interesting theory, although they appear to be too common for it to affect this little number of Glitch.
    *puts on sunglasses* YEEEAAAAAAAH!!!
    Good point, although maybe it only uses the glitch body as a host?

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  18. Hatsya Souji

Hmmm... Eye think those plants Glitched those Glitches, rendering them worshiping the Oculemons as the All-Seeing Eyes. At some point, they believed that those things told them to forge equipment to fend off those who'll kill off their kind, even if they're merely plants.

ADD:

Probably those Florans abducted our anime-loving engineered human kins (NINGEN!), and made plants out of their big eyes.

19. Feathery Dust

Eye dunno, Eye don't think that this plant could really have much of an effect, Eye'm starting to think that the Tentacle Monster influence has more to do with it.

20. Hatsya Souji

Might be, or what if... Those Oculemons turned out to be part of the Tentaculan hivemind, and used them to PURGE ALL OF USSSS!

(Note2Self: Prepare a school of sailor schoolgirls of all Starbound vanilla & modded races, while I raid the Tentaculan Homeworld with an XS Mech powered by hot-bloodedness)