Whips

Discussion in 'Gear and Items' started by TehEpikMonk, Mar 13, 2012.

1. TehEpikMonk

TehEpikMonk Spaceman Spiff

Anyway, my idea is whips. They're purchasable from Archaeologist NPCs for Pixels (unfortunately, I don't know the values of a Pixel, so I can't give a specific number).

They have various uses. For one, you can use it to swing over gaps and pools of acid, as well as monsters and the like. It can also be used as a weapon. It only does a bit of damage, but it has a chance of stunning or disarming the enemy.

This is where it gets interesting.

You could customize your whip. It would be possible to add items to it that would make it do more damage/cause effects.

For example, NamAdNats suggested Electric Whips. But, why stop there? Why not Fire Whips that could set enemies on fire but cost energy?

But instead of just element-related upgrades, why not the ability to add other items as well?

Maybe, after killing that big glass monster on the planet Cortsa, you collected its glass shards. Why not add those to the whip for the ability to cause a "Bleeding" status effect?

Or maybe you killed the fearsome (insert name of poisonous creature here), and picked up a bit of its venom. That would make a good attachment for you whip.

What if you killed the monstrous Glue Monster, and picked up a bit of the substance it's made of? Sticky whips... that would be fun.

The Magnarana drops a new whip, called the Frog's Tongue. It does a medium amount of damage, but it has the tendency to stick to its targets. The description reads, "Sticky, but effective."

I think you get the point by now. Please leave some suggestions or feedback.

2. thefluvirus

thefluvirus Contributor

I support this! I've thought about whips too, but i never thought about using them to swing around. One of the variations of my monster for the contest entry drops a "DNA whip", but i didn't really put any details for it, mind if I use some of your ideas if i give credit and put a link to this page? Thanks.

Space0tters! ! likes this.
  3. TehEpikMonk

Sure, go ahead :)

4. thefluvirus

thefluvirus Contributor

Thanks! I'll be sure to add it when i update the post.

5. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

All I ask is that I be allowed to use my whip to grab things and swing them or myself around.

... and that maybe they have holy properties so that I may continue the noble Belmont tradition.

MCMo, xboy777 and Alpha_Squad like this.
  6. Herowho

Herowho Pangalactic Porcupine

Castlevania 5: Vampires in space!!!

Alpha_Squad likes this.
  7. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

Castlevania Six: Dark Side of the 13th Moon!

Alpha_Squad and Herowho like this.
  8. Drithyl

Drithyl Phantasmal Quasar

Epic Castlevania is epic. I indeed would love to see whips in all forms, colors and properties! The stunning thing is fine (more specific to the electrified whip, I'd say) but the disarming is a bit complicated. Disarming is a quite powerful feature for a weapon to have, especially if the disarmed weapon drops to the ground.

Also, I'd love to be able to swing it around a bit randomly, like in Super Castlevania IV (and others). That was quite fun to do :D

xboy777 likes this.
  9. TehEpikMonk

I've never played Castlevania, so I'm kinda missing out on this jokes.

By disarming, I just meant that the enemy wouldn't be able to use their weapon for x amount of seconds. There could either be an animation for it, or the weapon could disappear.

10. Drithyl

Drithyl Phantasmal Quasar

That sounds feasible, although the time should be pretty short (seconds). An animation for it would be great ^^

About the Castlevania thing, in the SNES games (they were in 2d) you could hold the attack button and the whip of the protagonist would simply hang down, and then while holding the button you could move it around with the directional buttons, swinging it around, allowing you to block incoming shots or to damage nearby enemies. It wasn't too realistic, but it was very nice to do.

xboy777 likes this.
  11. RustyJ

RustyJ Big Damn Hero

It would be good if you could drag enemies like there is a spike pit between you and an enemy and you could pull them into it. I also think it would be good if you could hogtie enemies like in Red Dead Redemption.

12. Joxalot

Joxalot Subatomic Cosmonaut

13. thefluvirus

thefluvirus Contributor

I just had an idea. Maybe whips could also be used as a tool for taming/training creatures, particularly some of the more hostile ones. Using it too much could result in the animal turning against you.

14. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves Starship Captain

I'd love to use a whip as a weapon/tool, if only to be that much more like Indiana Jones. Now if I could wear a brown fedora and a leather jacket as well, that would be epic...

xboy777 likes this.
  15. TehEpikMonk

Since thefluvirus used the whip concept in his monster idea that's going in the game, does that mean that this - or at least a part of it - is being implemented?

xboy777 likes this.
  16. Alpha_Squad

Alpha_Squad Cosmic Narwhal

Whips would great for low tier weapons. Even as a low level grappling hook, like it was mentioned.

17. TehEpikMonk

Although there could be stronger versions that would be viable endgame weapons. That disarming feature could help out a lot, especially when faced with guns.

18. Hakjabtholah

Hakjabtholah Void-Bound Voyager

I don't believe that his main idea is even guaranteed to be implemented, and having only a small portion of his idea being credited to this I doubt the whip itself is a guarantee either.
    I do like the idea though, I'd love to have a multipurpose weapon/tool, I'd like to see it added. :up:

19. TehEpikMonk

But one can always hope, right? ;)

Thanks for the support as well.

20. Hakjabtholah

Hakjabtholah Void-Bound Voyager

Ah, my bad! I re-read the contest results!
    All runner ups are being implemented but which parts of them, I assume, are still be up in the air.