1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Which race to choose? Criteria, Variables, Wonderings.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Bakubakuba, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Bakubakuba

Bakubakuba Subatomic Cosmonaut

For some this is an easy task.
    "I like this guy" or "This one looks funny".
    And bam! We have a character.

I'm not one of those guys. I'm one ot those guys who spends few hours in character generator and after few hours of gameplay deletes character and starts over. Here the deal is more complex then in some games, because of multitude of variables and cryteria that consider a character build.

1. Race looks
    Besides Humans and Hylotl I like each race design.
    [Hylotl is cool just not for me and human is human so boring].
    My first choice was Floran with big purple spiky hairs.
    Avian, Glitch, Apex would be Fine as well.

2. Ship looks
    Besides Floran and Hylotl ship I like each one [Apex the least].
    Human, Avian, Glitch have nice unique ships each in their own way.
    I think Avian ship is the best but the Glitch and Human are close second.
    Designs will change and the additional ships sectors will influence that.

3. Racial armour look
    Each race have at least one cool armour. So I would have something to wear.
    But Apex have the most number of cool suits both light and heavy looking.
    Rest would be second except for Glitch which are my favourite.
    But you can find recipies for other armour sets so it isn't a big deal.

4. Racial armour bonus
    Each bonus is subtle and nice tied to the race.
    With chaning gravity apex and avian pasives are noticible only in mutliplayer.
    Floran, human and glitch are just nice pasives as are the previous ones.
    But the Hyotl pasive [breathing underwater and better swiming] is the only one that changes gameplay.
    Underwater houses, ocean mining and undersee cities.

5. Background
    Each race have a great background and lore.
    Hylotl as the peace seakers and lore seakers seams great.
    Avian, Apex, Floran and Glitch running from errors of their ways are also cool.
    So I could choose each one easly. Even humans runing from dissaster.

6. Interactions
    Here lies the biggest thing for me. The part where I can relate and play as my character.
    Where the lore, world, character and I met with the "observation", dialogs, and how the world reacts to me.
    I don't have a lot of data in this department. I tried playing each race and observe everything but only with Floran I have a lot of expirience. Rest have seen one or two planets and didn't have chance to interact with all the races and their structures.
    I would love to know more.

Floran even though lore wise wants to escape the savagery are still dumb and violent. [Cute but not for me]
    The cool peace spreading Hyotl are condesending and ride on a high horse [Which iritates me]
    Glitch have a cool way to announce their feeling lore wise, but not for me to feel the character.
    Avian is maby the blandest not being technological nor trully savage and having a religious theme.

Apex speaking of almost Orwelian Horrors and from an educated stand point is great. +
    Human are entusiastic and fun and probably are the badasses of space. Han solos and others. +

7. Racial quests/story
    If there will be parts of racial story they will strongly determine the choice as well.

Summary
    Look: Avian, Glitch, Floran, Apex +
    Ship: Avian, Glitch, Human +
    Armor: Apex + Glitch -
    Armor: Hyotl +
    Background: Tie
    Interactions: Apex, Human +

Tally:
    Hyotl: +
    Glitch: +
    Floran: +
    Avian: ++
    Human ++
    Apex: +++

For now I'm leaning toward Apex even though their ship is plain and their look isn't on the top.

What are your thoughts on the subject? Is this a dilema for you to?
    Do you consider other variables or use different tactics to determine this things?
    Do you have some usefull data for me to influence this choice? [List of interactions and dialog maby?]

Lloyd Larsen likes this.
  2. Feathery Dust

Feathery Dust Spaceman Spiff

Well first of all you said you liked Florans, so they should obviously be considered.
    Also you said your favorite ship is the Apex's, and the current Floran ship is an overgrown Apex ship, so that's another plus.

That's just my opinion though.

Hawk Novablast likes this.
  3. Bakubakuba

Bakubakuba Subatomic Cosmonaut

Reading about some features that were in nightly builds I think there will be at least one more variable.
    "S.A.I.L." Ship-based Artificial Inteligence Lattice. Your ship advisor who probably will have personality.
    So his personality will be another factor in the choice of race. Maby big depending on how often we talk with him.

@Featherdust Thank you for help.
    I wrote that Apex Ship is the one I like the least, and Floran version is worse for me.
    My choice of Floran was based on looks but as I have stated, besides Hyotl and Human they all can look great for me.

4. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

I personally always play Apex, but I role-play a slightly more primitive monkey-man than their lore dictates. Their ship is somewhat 'meh' but that's their aesthetic: no-frills functionality. I wish they'd mix in a *little* of that 60's era flair though. Maybe some ugly striped wallpaper or something.

Anyhow, you should give them a go. 'Planet of the Apes' references await you!

5. CaptThad

CaptThad Pangalactic Porcupine

I pretty much always play human in everything, so that makes it an easy choice. Gotta represent the homo sapiens sapiens. I do also like their racial armor best though, and I'm all about the USCM approach and aesthetic. Space marines for life. I'll prolly second a Floran purely on appearances sake too, maybe Avian or Apex as tertiary options. I like the Glitch's medieval and the Hylotl's NeoTokyo aesthetics quite a bit, but don't so much like their character look. Prolly the lowest options on my vanity list.

Think I like the Floran ship design best. The greenhouse on top is pretty sweet (turned it into the Captain's Quarters on my current ship), and the passages are divided well for moving around the ship while still maintaining a nice organizational aesthetic. Humans are a close second, so that'll suit me fine as my primary. Think I either like the Hylotl or Avian least, find the later layouts to just be annoying. Novakid ship layout is kinda annoying too, but at least it's annoying in a kinda cool way. Space conductors flying their space trains is cool, but carries the downside of no shortcuts to different sections when every compartment is single-file.

Racial armor bonuses were mentioned early on as an idea they were leaning towards, but I haven't seen any development at all in that direction. With the focus on branching armor trees and creating armors infused with techs, I think it's very likely that idea has been either scrapped or evolved into something else. Don't think they've confirmed one way or the other yet. If I was deciding on that factor: being that they said Humans would have extra inv space, and most everything else they mentioned could be added via gear or tech, I wouldn't debate long on which I'd find most useful.

Background/racial story and the varying racial interactions are a great reason to play through with every race. Always get a different perspective, which is great for replay value. Each one observes items differently too, the investigation feature alone is worth hours of entertainment.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  6. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

So are you asking what's peoples favorite race? Because honestly I have never seen anyone ask that on this forum before. Go with humans because we are human.

7. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

You're putting a lot of thought into this. Apex society is based on crushing free thought, therefore you would not be a fitting Apex.
    You're evaluating the options, and not yet stabbing everything. Floran is right out.
    You haven't bunkered up and refused to talk to anyone. Starbound humans aren't your style.
    You don't seem like a birdbrain who follows doctrine and decrees. No Avian for you.

You seem to want to know more about the game and the different races. Glitch seems like a solid fit.
    You are trying to reach out to other races and gain understanding. Hylotl is a definite option.

So, there you have it. You should be a cyborg fish.

Bakubakuba likes this.
  8. AstralGhost

AstralGhost Pangalactic Porcupine

I would suggest not worrying too much about the lore or racial bonuses when deciding.
    I'm pretty sure race-bonuses are out in favor of just having race-specific blueprints, all of which you can obtain as any race through merchants. I believe the Devs even stated they didn't want any one race to have specific advantages over another, but maybe I'm remembering wrong. But inevitably I don't think the Devs will create anything you can miss just because you picked one race over another. It's a sandbox game and sandbox games pretty much never restrict content like that. And even if they did, there would probably be enough complaints for them to change it so each race has the same opportunities.

And lore is usually a two-way street.
    For example, many Avian are religious fanatics, but you and other space-farers and colonists are not worshipers for one reason or another. In fact, most Avians in space deny the deity and dislike the religious fanatics. Rather than being solely religious, the ones who leave the Homeworld are actually almost always religious dissidents, it seems. This is also described in the opening cinematic (which is not yet functional but still present in the files).
    Another example is the Floran. Many of them seem violent and just wanting to kill, but your own personal story can simply just be that you left your planet to get away from all of that. There are indeed many very intelligent Floran. Some users like to point out that one of the 'most intelligent' scientists in the game was a Floran. The opening cinematic for Floran is not done yet, but I assume it will probably relate to wanting to be more adventurous or intelligent than the other Floran.
    Even with the Glitch who are stuck in the Medieval era mentality, you are obviously 'different' then them. A regular Glitch would not think to use such advanced technology. So again your story would be whatever you want it to be. You could even find a Glitch planet and just farm as a peasant all day, if that is what you want to do. No one is stopping you.
    Despite the humorous suggestions, the lore is essentially just a background for the culture. You are still an individual, like in reality, and you can do whatever it is your own goals and aspirations are. You can be whoever it is you want to be. A culture can't stop you, in real life nor in Starbound.

So don't let lore tie you down. It's nothing but a background for the culture. Like in any good sandbox game: You should be creating your own story.

And for the things you can't control: Your ship, your AI, early-game equipment (racial armor), and "interactions".... Mods can change any of these things.
    If you don't like the Human ship as a human? Find a mod, or even create one of your own, to change it to the Hylotl ship, or whatever it is you want.
    Don't like the AI? Change that, too.
    Don't want to start with weird bird-armor as an Avian? Download a mod and give yourself Apex armor or whatever.

Don't think of this as "cheating" - again it's your story. Perhaps think of it as you're an Avian with interests in Hylotl and Apex cultures. Maybe your character is even the (Avian) world's expert on another species and it explains why you know all of their Blueprints, and why you fly one of their ships.

It's all about YOU and whatever it is YOU want to be. This is what any good Sandbox game should be.

..... And hey, maybe in the future the Devs will add the ability to buy different ships and AI. If not, maybe a modder will add that so it will be a bit less 'cheat-y'.
    Why should the Devs stop with just armor/weapon blueprints? I don't see any reason why a Hylotl can't fly a Floran ship. Do you?

When it all comes down to it, the main choice is about appearance. You can mod appearance, but you might as well just have picked a different race.
    Of course it may help you get into a character if you like their culture, their ship, and etc.... but don't forget you're still 'You'. Pick the one you think you can connect to the most. The devs aren't making this character, you are. Make it your own, with your own story.

Edit: I also suggest looking at race-mods. There are lots of them to choose from that you might like better. Some have a lot of good progress on them.
    I'm even working on one myself, though mine is not anywhere close to being complete yet. :p

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  9. Dreynguid

Dreynguid Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Personally, I don't take account of ship or clothes because I pick every thing from the others species (and mostly from what I find on the ground or in chests).
    For a while, my floran had an apex hat (a kind of assassins' blue scarf) and the rest of florans and now have a long red scarf found in a chest, an avian common back top and... don't remind wich pants...
    Also, I gived floran top (chaman armor) to my hylotl (who has a cool baseball cap), because it's cool.

It's an interesting question, but don't forget that your character isn't like his peers. He has his own backstory, his own personnality, the one you've chosen for him.
    And... all AstralGhost said (I agree with it).
    Then, what your character says when you examine an item... I understand that it counts for you, because you see your character speeking. If it may help you to choose, maybe that's cool.
    Then you can agree with some points specific to each races :
    - Florans have a funny accent and are usually scary looking (not their fault !)
    - Hylotl are graceful (perfect if you like elves), japanese-like (I like mangas) and ARE NOT FISH ! They are amphibious, a mix of axolotl and hylidae, GOD'DAMNIT !
    - Glitchs have a verbal tic, worse than florans' accent !
    - Apex combine with brio class and hairiness, even the females
    - Avians are feathery
    - Novakid are brilliant
    - Humans created this game

-----
    edit: Even Hylotl aren't necessary graceful and japanese-looking. They are... smoothy. Yeah, still graceful.
    Also, I really love avians' villages, their peoples are adorable ! And :
    - Avians probably whistle well (birds are good singers)
    -----

Personally, I imagined a few characters for each races, developed them, their stories, and saw wich one I prefered. For me, it's largely the floran (wich was the first I imagined, before the game's beta release) : I really identify with him. (don't be afraid, IRL I'm not bloodthirsty at all... I'm just quite playful ! (especially in fencing according to my teacher) )

That's good points : it's good to like his character's style (but do not forget that you can custom him with every clothes)
    And racial armour, maybe they might influence a bit our play style, but just a little : for exemple, we can craft an item to breathe underwater. But for now, I don't really care (like AstralGhost).

To sum up, I'll say : Make your character fit you =p

10. SeaMichelle

SeaMichelle Some Sort of Weird Fish Princess

7. Guns
    Want guns? Choose the Novakids.
    Don't want guns? Pick anyone else.

Blue-E and Serenity like this.
  11. ReverendBonobo

ReverendBonobo Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Make one character of each race and play them all.

Serenity likes this.
  12. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

no
    medieval robots (oxymoron)
    [sarcasm]
    Fact. Glitch are superior to all other races, no exceptions.
    [/sarcasm]

13. CaptThad

CaptThad Pangalactic Porcupine

You'd still have to choose one to play first. Unless you were going to try to do them all simultaneously...

14. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

fact human are all that and a bag of chips

15. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

(mocking tone) Fact. Apex are the most intelligent race, and the most advanced.;)

16. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

Confusion. Why do my fellow glitch find the other races superior? (you were talking like glitch, so I assume you are)

17. ReverendBonobo

ReverendBonobo Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

How hard can that be? If you're going to play them all, it doesn't matter which order you play them in.

18. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

Actually, my post CLEARLY stated that I was mocking the Glitche's tendency to say words before every sentence.

19. 321tking

321tking Void-Bound Voyager

Gotta go with apex. there under control by big ape an evil brain washing banana theif they need your help to crush big ape. And besides you can look like chewbaca. Or go with the look I chose pirate ape looks darn cool

20. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

I swear I hit reply on serenitys post, whatever
    I could tell you were mocking the glitch, but its so other races can understand their purpose because glitch talk completely monotone

The Squid likes this.