1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Where Do You Find A...?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Bonabopn, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

(This is not the Coordinates Megathread. Post Coordinates there, please.)
    Finding things in Starbound is a chore. Whether it's a floran village, uranium ore, or that one piece of clothing you need to complete your costume, you can never find that one thing you need. The wiki never seems to have the solution - quite a lot of it is outdated, and most articles seem to be incredibly short.

Perhaps it's not as difficult as it sounds. Maybe there's some sort of unseen pattern we've yet to discern.
    I propose we, as a community, collect and share data on which structures and items we find on which planet types, to see if there's a pattern to it all.
    Then, we can see if certain villages, dungeons or equipment are only/oftenly/rarely/never found in specific biomes and planets.
    (This is different to the coordinates thread in that we're not looking for specific examples, we're looking to see if certain biomes are more likely than others to house specific things.)
    Here are some examples.

Villages:
    Agaran Villages - Forest Planets

Dungeons:
    Abandoned Mines - Lush Planets

Microdungeons:
    Outpost-like Rooms - Arid Planets...

Biomes:
    Boneyard - Arid Planets
    Eye Biomes - Alien Planets
    Tar Biome - Desert Planets

Clothing:
    Hunter Outfit - Arid Planets

Vegetation:
    Carrots - Forest Planets
    Coffee Plants - Forest Planets
    Dirturchin - Alien Planets
    Thorn Fruit Bush - Arid Planets

So please, share with me tales of your exploits, so we may figure out where the hell we're supposed to get an avian moon emblem from without having to scour every planet!
    (If this has already been done, my bad. I've looked and not found anything.)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  2. Teh Freek

Teh Freek Void-Bound Voyager

Since you're not going after specific coordinates you'll find all this information in the game assets. All you need to do is interpret it enough and you'll know everything.

3. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

I have seen glitch & apex village on a forest planet, but that was before giraffe was released to stable.

Seen the solo king glitch tower building in the jungle, currently over that planet, since I came back from frozen to pick up some more uranium.
    Floran hunting grounds, jungle & forest. if remember correctly. I have seen this one 2-3 times so far.
    human prison I don't remember if was snow or jungle... more likely jungle since that is where spent most my time so far.

All I can think of off hand. I do know though in the files they are on multiple biomes...

4. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

if your looking for a floran village they can olny be found in forest, desert, savanna and snow biomes
    acording to code

5. Bonabopn

If it's that simple, why aren't people writing that on the wiki?
    (And i'm not actually after a floran village. I was, now i'm not. I kinda want an Avian village for the wooden bridge blocks and i'm also after a Red Hood and Pirate Pants.)

6. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

eh? lazyness?

LuckyMax5 likes this.
  7. Teh Freek

Teh Freek Void-Bound Voyager

Because everything other than the dungeon to planet mapping requires writing a long, boring program. And even that program isn't all that short or interesting.

8. BASE_SEVEN

BASE_SEVEN Void-Bound Voyager

crystal biomes are specific to volcanic planets (and contain neonmelons)
    rust biomes occur only on dead planets (also have wartweed)
    reed biomes are only on deserts (these also have healing water)
    underground slime biomes seem to only occur on alien planets
    bioluminescence biomes seem to only be on snowy planets (not frozen ones)
    ice biomes are only on frozen planets (not snowy ones)

9. L. F. Oxidizer

L. F. Oxidizer Pangalactic Porcupine

Hiker outfit is found on Lush worlds.

Hazmat set is found on Radioactive worlds. I found mine on a Tropical/Jungle planet.

Flower mini-biome is found on Tropical/Jungle planets.

Rust mini-biome is found on (not quite)Dead planets.

I'd like to know where I can find Apex Apartments. I've never ever ran into one.

10. Thanatos-IV

Thanatos-IV Star Wrangler

Back in the nightlies, before Upbeat Giraffe was created, I found an Apex Apartment on a desert planet. Since the code was just transferred (I think) it should still occur there.

L. F. Oxidizer likes this.
  11. BASE_SEVEN

BASE_SEVEN Void-Bound Voyager

We need to put all of this in a spreadsheet.

LuckyMax5 likes this.
  12. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

Underground Slime, Flesh, and Cell biomes can occur on Tropical planets.

Rainbow Forests occur on the surface of Desert worlds.

Thornfruit Cactus only grows on Arid worlds. Note that they only provide Thornfruit - they don't provide Cacti or Saplings when cut down.

Metal Coated trees only occur on Dead Worlds in Rust biomes (trees that look like they're coated in metal can generate on other world types and biomes, but they do not produce metal-coated wood when chopped.)

Eyeball trees only occur in Eyeball Biomes on Alien Worlds, and drop Oculemon in addition to wood.

There are two kinds of Alien Wood tree - one drops Alien Fruit in addition to Alien Striped Wood, the other does not. Any given Alien biome will only have ONE of these two tree types. They'e visually indistinguishable. The only way to know is to chop one down and find out.

Giant Flower biomes, with Giant Flower Trees, only occur on Tropical planets.

Giant Toxic Flower trees, which drop toxic waste for Yellow Stims as well as plant fiber, only grow on Poison Ocean worlds.

Coconut Palm Trees, which drop coconuts as well as wood, only occur on Ocean worlds - note that these must be regular ocean woflds. Frigid Ocean and Poison Oceans don't count.

Cacti-producing Cactus plants are only available on Desert Worlds.

Tar Biomes can occur above or below ground. If they are above ground, the planet's surface liquid will be replaced with oil.

Boneboo only occurs on Boneyard and Tar biomes. Naturally-occurring Boneboo only provides a bone if chopped down - no seed. Player-planted Boneboo will provide seeds normally when cut down.

Reefpod and Coralcreep only occur naturally on the seafloor of normal Ocean worlds.

Tropical worlds have no naturally-occurring crops. The destructible undergrowth, however, may provide Bio Samples, which are used to make Medical Kits, Antidotes, and Green Stims.

Flesh Strands are only found from fleshy-pillar "trees", which only grow in Flesh biomes.

I've encountered Apex settlements on Snow and Ice worlds most often.

13. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

Water guns, pirate clothing and water balloons only occur on Ocean planets.

Pollen gun and flower blueprints are only found in Spring biomes on Forest planets.

Snow globes, yeti mask and ice blueprints are found on snow planets.

14. Wreth

Wreth Phantasmal Quasar

Florans can be found in desert? That makes no sense, they die in the desert, and not in the jungle, where they come from? What?

15. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

It's true. I found a Floran village right next to an Avian vallage in the middle of the desert.

16. Torterenek

Torterenek Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i have been curious where we would find novakid settlements.

17. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

They're not currently in the game. Same with Hylotl settlements, but those would probably be on an ocean planet.

LuckyMax5 likes this.
  18. epicness403

epicness403 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think it's because of the fact that they use dry sap which makes them able to survive in the desert

19. 1nfinitezer0

1nfinitezer0 Cosmic Narwhal

Is this stuff not in the wiki already?

20. Bonabopn

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.
    No, there's bugger-all on the wiki

LuckyMax5 likes this.