1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What's YOUR playstyle? Share with us!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Seria-Myouna, Jun 16, 2013.

1. IronFistSurvivor

IronFistSurvivor Subatomic Cosmonaut

1) My favorite race is the Florans. While very hostile, sometimes their examinations can be pretty funny. Yes, even funnier than the humans. Sort of a verbal slapstick of a sort. Also, I love the lore. The real thing that makes them great is that despite the race as a whole being unadvanced, only getting their tech through reverse-engineering (not really surprising that they would like to tinker with one of their two worst nightmares), is that the apparent smartest lore character in the game, Greenfinger, happens to be of their race. I get that most people don't like out of place details, but this is just really funny.

My second favorite is the avians. Overall, they have the greatest and most strongly written lore in the game. This was the race I used starting out. The only problem is that their beaks don't move. I hope that this gets fixed.

My least favorite race is the Hylotl. I guess a lot of people are gonna hate on me for this, so I will just say two things: The Hylotl having this spot on my list is not connected to the Florans having the top spot at all, and also, I don't hate the Hylotl. I just prefer the others. That said, I really like the look of their lights and furniture. However, some of their designs are just a slight bit on the vain side IMO, usually having their iconic three pearl-like red eyes on their furniture and stuff. For goodness sakes, the eye pattern is on their flag! That's not really a bad thing at all, but just a slight thing that bugs me a little. I also really like their goals. Peace across the universe? That's really nice! However, their emphasis on peace kind of runs sour in my taste. They go as far as calling the slightest bit of violence barbaric, being notable in their examination of the yellow arcade machine, and how the glitch sort of tease them a bit with the suggestion of a friendly joust. This trait also seems to leave them a bit defenseless, because as far as I'm concerned, Hylotl missionaries don't seem to be ready for combat when it comes. Also, they seem to overestimate their security designs. May be just me, I don't know. Anyway, yeah.

2) Just get ready for the huge adventure.

3) I'm a treasure hunter and a warrior.

4) No, not even if you ask really nicely.

5) Apparently my most played Steam game, with Don't Starve, one of my favorite games on Steam, coming close.

6) Ranged. I prefer being a sniper, using a sniper rifle with fast bullets.

7) Ugh... I hate settling. Too much work, only to lose it because I have my own home planet somewhere hot. I stick to tents when I have to, but I like to stay on the move, collecting as much crud as I can before warping back to move on.

So yeah... That's how I roll.

Bishop Blitz likes this.
  2. Aarow

Aarow Space Hobo

1. I chose human first because to me, the other races seemed kinda weird to me, mostly Apex's though.
    2. Take it easy at first then pick up the pace once I get my hands on something good.
    3. I really like to explore the generated dungeons and villages. Mining can get kinda boring if you cant find anything.
    4. Probably solo at first, then join a public server.
    5. Probably around 5 if I find something really cool to do
    6. I don't like big guns, probably just a set of pistols will do for me ^-^
    7. Of course, there is a "Set Home" option for you to do that :poke:

3. SketchUpTWH

SketchUpTWH Master Chief

One.) Let's see...well I usually like to play as the Glitch race, mostly because I like the idea of a robot going around the universe making sentient observations while building up a home planet. Plus they're always seeking logical answers that make sense, reminds me of today's scientists.
    Two.) I mostly like to build up my strength then rush to the high level worlds. After that I look around for a good home planet to set up a nice base/Laboratory thing.
    Three.) It's hard to say, I'm a fan of all the aspects of the game, mining can be fun because of the unknown treasures below your feet, while searching for riches and other colonies is just as exciting! Though overall, I prefer the joys of exploring the galaxy in search of wondrous treasure.^-^
    Four.) I've been playing singleplayer quite a lot just to get a good understanding of the game and what I like to do, though on the other hand, I would like to play this game on a server when I feel ready enough.
    Five.) Well, I've just been getting into it, but I'll probably clock in at around 800-1000+hrs 3:
    Six.) I really like up close Dual sword combat, but I've been getting into longer ranged weapons such as a well rounded assault rifle.
    Seven.) For me, building the biggest, baddest base is always a priority when I can't advance any further in technology. It takes forever, but once I have the materials, I usually cover an entire small planet with a giant laboratory, or an extremely large detailed village~!

4. penguinhammer

penguinhammer Space Spelunker

I love playing as bad guys. So this current play through I'm doing an Apex renegade who is in constant conflict with Big Ape and The Man in general. To keep my identity safe, I acquire enough resources to survive for five years at a time and liquidate villages or cities I come into contact with. Can't risk the Big Ape catching onto me.

5. Metalmariolord

Metalmariolord Scruffy Nerf-Herder

1.Human, because I tend to play as them anywhere or Glitch, I personally like medieval looking buildings, and being robots themselves, and I'm personally "boring" for choosing characters.
    2.Take my time, build stuff, get prepared for adventuring.
    3.I like mining, getting treasures.
    4.My net is horrible, and my computer isn't that good either, so I'll be a lone wolf.
    5.Depending on the stuff, I'll play it a lot.
    6.I like to be hybrid, picking enemies with a gun, then changing for a sword. Or wielding a shield and a pistol.It worked for me before.
    7. Despite having the ship, I want to build a big base and fill it with NPC's, or simply taking an already existing town, and changing a building to be my base.

6. Apple Black

Apple Black Orbital Explorer

1) Apex ( because I love the Ape's Planet series ), Floran ( Sssso cute, ssso dangeroussss :3 ) and Glitch ( because robots are cool )
    2) Search the hazard ! I'm a space traveler
    3) Explore the space, to explore stranges worlds, mysteries, meet alien civilization !
    4) I'm going sometimes on public servers, and I play sometimes with friends, but Starbound must create a server system like minecraft >< because it's very too bugged and problematic !
    5) 7/8 hours ! but by part of 3h is good too ^^
    6) depend of the race, but I have a preference for guns
    7) I build a main base, but I prefer have a spaceship as a main base or a NPC structure, and my favorite biome is desert ^^

7. cooptex977

cooptex977 Big Damn Hero

I play Glitch and mine until I have good gear. Then I travel to planets and eliminate all life. It's better than drugs.

Bishop Blitz likes this.
  8. Cost

Cost Subatomic Cosmonaut

1. Floran & Hylotl mainly, cause I simply love their styles (especially the Floran one). As I already made several characters of each race I can definitely say Apex are the less attractive for me (but they have some nice sets of armor).
    2. I don't really have a main character: I can't stop switching between all of them (6 atm). But my initial plan when I start a new game is always at least kinda rushing till sector X to find a decent planet to establish a base.
    3. Explore new planets/biomes, visit villages (interacting with objects and NPCs), meet and ssstab new strange creatures (sorry some Floran instinct), build any type of structures, loot vanity items, etc... For sure I would like even more vanity items, who doesn't? Mining isn't a problem anymore: I use special tools now ;)
    4. Solo gameplay only.
    5. I never play the same amount of time; but in total I think I'm hitting 270 hours this week.
    6. Melee as primary (broadwords and hammers preferably; until I find a Starcleaver sword), Pulse rifle or Avian gun as secondary. So let's say 75% of the time melee. One-handed weapon/shield combo when it's needed. Hostile creatures are always killed of course, pacific ones are spared when I'm in a good mood... However when I'm playing Floran I tend to annihilate any form of life... Even sssmall fissshes...
    7. I have one main base, but all my characters have their own home on their own planet. I prefer grasslands and forests biomes. Travelling remains my favorite part, so I'm pretty excited for the latest news concerning ship upgrades: eventually my real home will always be my beloved ship!

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  9. Super Polygon 64

Super Polygon 64 Void-Bound Voyager

1. What race are you going to play, and why? Do any of the races just not appeal to you at all?
    I will most likely be a human for my main play through. I've always chosen the most boring race in a game like this, and given the human's backstory of running away from a ruined earth. I could form an idea through that.

2. What are your plans for your first character? Rush through to the highest danger levels? Be a peaceful farmer?
    Treasure Hunter, Archaeologist, or Historian would probably be the type of character I would play as. I would have Notebook open on my computer as I explored and kept "Notes" on what I have found and on what planet.

3. What do you like to do in the game? Is mining something that never gets boring to you? Are you a treasure hunter?
    Exploring is probably the biggest thing for me.

4. Are you going to play with other people? If so, with friends or on a big/small public server?
    Probably not at first to be honest with you.

5. How many hours do you think you're going to play?
    Once I finish my finals? A lot.

6. What combat style do you prefer? Melee, Ranged, etc. Will you fight every enemy you come across?
    if I were to roleplay as my character. I would like to avoid combat, but if I have choice I would choose ranged.

7. Are you going to have one "Main" base, multiple smaller bases or just wander around? What biome do you think you'll enjoy the most?
    I haven't even explored all the biomes yet, so I don't really want to pass judgement. Personally I want to really change my ship around.. I don't know if we can do this yet, but I have a few ideas in my head about how I want to make my ship interesting.

10. Tritex

Tritex Void-Bound Voyager

1. Human
    2. Advance, get better and better equipment.
    3. Mining and crafting. If I find a dungeon I explore it.
    4. Mostly solo but also with friends.
    5. 100+
    6. Mele until guns come along
    7. Big freaking main futuristic base.

11. lord baron von casket

lord baron von casket Orbital Explorer

1. I will be glitch, because I don't want to be human, or Asian, or primal, or religious, or as the novakid, a windbag.
    2.I will try and race forward as fast as I can, but I don't want to miss anything valuable, overall, I tend to be a turtle while playing.
    3 mining makes me die of boredom but Its better than being frustrated at trying 20 times to kill something.
    4. I want the benefits of being with a group: like extra defense, not mining for hours trying to find one stupid piece of "special rock # 3"
    5. as many as I can, when I can actually get the game.
    6. I don't like being hurt, but when it's an easy fight I like to get up close and feel the knife in that monsters belly.
    7. if I can, I would like to have one singular base, on an ice planet, after I raided a prison so it would have all the aesthetic details of a true evil lair.

12. Kyon

Kyon Contact!

1. What race are you going to play and why? Do any of the races just not appeal to you at all?
    • Honestly, after much trial and error I can honestly say that Apex has charmed me over. I've always liked technologically-advanced races, so it's only natural that my preference towards them would eventually come to fruition. Combined with their constant references to 1984, I couldn't help but love the race.
    2. What are your plans for your first character?

• I've always went the casual-paced route in these games. If I continuously play a game i'll get bored of it rather quickly, even for a game as expansive as starbound. More than likely my goal would be to be confidently stocked up on all of the ores available at tier one planets before I expanded onward to the new tiers.
    3. What do you like to do? Is mining something that gets never boring to you? Are you a treasure hunter?

• Personally? My greatest pleasure is simply playing instruments in my ship. It's a shame that all my old music got wiped with the new patch, because those were the funnest times ever. As for mining, yes, actually. I find it incredibly dull considering this is a space-age game and we're technologically advanced beings. I would much rather prefer to upgrade to items that feel more futuristic than swinging around a pickaxe like an underdeveloped plebian. Treasure hunter? Most definitely.
    4. Are you going to play with other people? If so, on a big or small server?

• Only when friends ask, to be honest. And I don't imagine i'll ever have the patience for a large server. I don't trust people around my items at the moment. It get's copiously annoying to go with people only for them to rob you blind. I wish you had a "Lock" system on your ship to where only you could access your inventory. -Hint hint- It'd allow you to party with unknown people and not have to watch your space every three seconds.
    5. How many hours do you think you'll play?

• Depends on how good of a game the team makes. If it's not progressing any further than this, then I'd say i'm nearly at my limit for what I find interesting in starbound. I can see this game on release easily consuming over 200+ hours of my time, if I really wanted it to.
    6. What combat style do you prefer?

• I'm more partial to guns, but I find them incredibly useless in this game. So for now, melee. I really wish they had ammo and higher damage corresponding to both the gun and the ammo versus the energy system. It's sort of annoying when I have to trade guns for Techs. I fail to see the logic there.
    7. Are you going to have one "Main" base, multiple smaller bases, or just be a wanderer? What kind of biome do you like the best?

• Me, My Ship, and I. Planet-base building is entirely optional and negligible in my opinion. You should make it to where your ships can't house building objects, and that they were part of the ships expansions with this new upcoming update, honestly. For the most part though, my Apex is a vagrant to the core. Biome? Desert. So easy to mine there. My personal preference is snow though for aesthetics.

13. Zodiac Killer

Zodiac Killer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

1. I play Apex because I play humans in so many other games and I love apes and monkeys.
    2. I am definitely taking things slowly, exploring the galaxy and getting as powerful weapons and armor as the tier allows.
    3. I love exploring random structures on a planet. It's exciting wondering what will be found inside. I like mining because I'm a hoarder.
    4. I find myself just using online to play with people I know as opposed to public servers. I just like working on a common goal with friendly people. 90% of the time I just play alone though.
    5. I'm willing to bet I make it into the triple digits easily with hours spent in Starbound. I'm pretty much addicted.
    6. I liked ranged because I'm not that good with avoiding damage, but I just can't pass up a melee weapon if it has a huge amount of damage/DPS!
    7. I use just one main base because I like keeping all my eggs in one basket (even though I know the saying says not to). I love all the biomes!

14. Donovan745

Donovan745 Void-Bound Voyager

1. What race are you going to play, and why? Do any of the races just not appeal to you at all?
    A. Hylotl - In the Fur Fandom I'm a scalie, and this is the closest I can come to my "fursona". Also water breathing always comes in handy!

2. What are your plans for your first character? Rush through to the highest danger levels? Be a peaceful farmer?
    B. Taking it slow and patiently, and building up my strength slowly and surely. A tedious long but ultimately rewarding process.

3. What do you like to do in the game? Is mining something that never gets boring to you? Are you a treasure hunter?
    C. I will farm and mine a lot, maybe to much. And occasionally I will go explore the depths or find other planets to explore.

4. Are you going to play with other people? If so, with friends or on a big/small public server?
    D. Mostly single player, but it varies. Mostly with friends tho'. Hard to find people to trust.
    But I'm not shy of meeting new people, so just toss me a PM and I'll tell you how to contact me further.
    I can use Skype, Ventrilo, Steam, Teamspeak and Mumble, So plenty of ways to keep in touch with me.

5. How many hours do you think you're going to play?
    E. Better question would be: How many hours a day aren't you playing?", and the answer is simple: 10 hours a day is reserved for sleeping, eating, farting and other.

6. What combat style do you prefer? Melee, Ranged, etc. Will you fight every enemy you come across?
    F. I prefere a mix really. it completely depends on my foe. I tend to leave neutral creatures alone. As for enemies, well I don't back down for a little "hack'n'slash".

7. Are you going to have one "Main" base, multiple smaller bases or just wander around? What biome do you think you'll enjoy the most?
    G. With the mod "Fully customizable ships", my space ship becomes my Main base, but I always carry a fireplace and a bedroll with me for a quick camp and heat source.

"I once floated among the stars, the silence made me yell and scream. But when I farted, I quickly turned on the engines and flew to the nearest planet. Now I dare not return to my ship."

15. King_Kadius

King_Kadius Master Chief

1. I play avian although I kind of want to go floran, but meh I like avians a lot too! :)
    2. At the moment on my young journey, I have been farming and building a lot and I have been mining for days. Seriously, SO MANY SAND DIVES...
    3. I like crafting but you need so many ores in this game it's crazy! However when you do craft something you feel so good.
    4. Yeah I always play multiplayer with some friends.
    5. I've played around 20 so far and am really eqarly in so this game is pretty tough.
    6. I like range but melee is so much stronger I just have to use it, at the moment I have 2 1 handed swords for DPS and a 2 handed sword with 5 less DPS but has fire and poison effects.
    7. My ship is my base! I <3 my ship :) I also really like the snow biomes they're so atmospheric.

ThetopWanderer likes this.
  16. roflburger2010

roflburger2010 Void-Bound Voyager

1. What race are you going to play, and why? Do any of the races just not appeal to you at all?:
    I really enjoy the Hylotl character, mostly because of the oriental aspect of their appearance, but their insect eyes kind of bother me. However I'm looking forward to checking out the lore and back story on them, and perhaps even visit one of their underwater cities in the future
    2. What are your plans for your first character? Rush through to the highest danger levels? Be a peaceful farmer?:
    I plan on setting up a small shack on the surface and a farm next to that. Soon after I will expand my house into a homey little cottage type home. I'm going to build it with as much of a Japanese feel to it as possible. Hopefully the game adds more oriental type objects, like the hanging lanterns or rice paper screen.
    3. What do you like to do in the game? Is mining something that never gets boring to you? Are you a treasure hunter?:
    I'm probably going to spend most of my time exploring, which means I'm going to have to spend a lot of time mining for coal, but I've actually set-up a charcoal burning operation where I just cut down forests and replant them, then take that wood and convert it all into coal. It takes a while so while that's happening I just tend to the farm or sit around the house, expand on it a little bit. It's all great fun for me.
    4. Are you going to play with other people? If so, with friends or on a big/small public server?:
    I might play with other people, I'm not too trusting because I don't know these people. I suppose it would be awesome to meet someone and become friends with them, but from past experience in other games, online play is not something I'm particularly looking forward too. I'll most likely be playing on a small server.
    5. How many hours do you think you're going to play?:
    More than 4000, easily.
    6. What combat style do you prefer? Melee, Ranged, etc. Will you fight every enemy you come across?:
    As a Hylotl, I like to stay true to the character lore, but people must adapt and so must my character. I'm probably going to play ranged combat as soon as possible, because I believe close range would be too traumatizing for my character. I'm also going to play in self-defense, where I'll only kill what attacks me first.

7. Are you going to have one "Main" base, multiple smaller bases or just wander around? What biome do you think you'll enjoy the most?:
    I'm going to have one main base on a home planet, which I'll be expanding as I play, and then maybe some other bases on planets, but the two main bases will be my ship, and my home planet. Other than that, everything else is temporary.

I look forward to playing this game with everyone.

17. Ominous_Paladin

Ominous_Paladin Void-Bound Voyager

1. I can't stop making Avians....no idea why. I like all the races, their looks, lore, and so forth....but my main is always an Avian.
    2 I rush my first or main straight to the top and kind of use them as my guinea pig. Testing out weapon types, exploring...etc
    3. I love exploring planets. As soon as I land I take off. Finding pre-built structures is hands down my favorite part of StarBound. Parkour jumping through the crazy apex facilities and wiping out USCM prisons is just a blast.
    4. Playing with others is something that makes or breaks a game like this, and for me, it usually makes it. I prefer to run with a small group, 2-4 people and have others out there if we need a hand. Have had trouble finding/joining servers lately so I might try to setup my own.
    5. Tons, I have already logged a couple hundred and don't plan to stop, especially with the revamp on it's way. StarBound gets old sometimes to me but after a while it always calls me back.
    6. I prefer ranged, problem is....I never have good weapons. To me, distance=safety.....but the bow drops off by Gamma planets and my luck with finding guns is horrendous. I'm almost always forced to craft a couple one handed swords, a style I have become pretty good with...but it's not my fave. I know that every planet has at least one passive enemy. I identify them right away to avoid taking unnecessary damage, but on everything else I try to have the first hit.
    7. I live out of my ship until I hit tier 10. Then I make the most self sufficient base I can. Huge farm, tons of ores to mine, trophy room, etc. As I explore I collect the shiny things and bring them back. If I stumble across a particularly awesome planet I build a small bunker with the basic amenities and write down it's coordinates, but will probably never visit except to show it off.

StarBound is a great game that takes concepts that already existed and made them better. Way to go ChuckleFish and thank you!

18. Sap-Singer

Sap-Singer Orbital Explorer

1. Floran, no questions asked. For once I won't be annoyed by flies.
    2. I take my time. I set up a base, storage facility, farms for both food and trees. I'm in no hurry
    3. Farming and exploring. Having come from a D&D Background, I love to roleplay. SO I always make sure I have "Supplies" before i go, aka, food, spear, light etc.
    4. Nothing missing, just can't wait for staves and ship upgrades
    5. Close to one hundred hours. In two months... That's so far, so who knows how much I'll play in total.
    6. Combat? Definitely a spear/hammer, or dual wielding 1h swords
    7. I setup a base as said in point 2. I find the "nomad" style to be annoying. When ship upgrades are here, that may change though.

19. Lemuria

Lemuria Subatomic Cosmonaut

1. Floran is Floran. Floran doesss not like Apex.
    2. Floran took time in the first sector, then kind of rushed to later sectorssss.
    3. Floran wantsss to build. Floran can't find a perfect planet, though. Floran found one that is pretty good, with a bomb-selling frog, good weather, and a Floran encampment. But Floran doesn't know what to do about the Apex apartment complex and limited number of other Florans.
    4. Floran will wait and see if theft is preventable in the future before playing with others probably.
    5. Floran has played far too many hoursss already.
    6. Floran likes shooting and stabbing. And also exploding. Floran found a rocket launcher recently. It makesss bite-sized Apex chunksssss.
    7. Floran wants one huge base. With lots of Florans. Floran is looking forward to expandable ship, too.

20. macodelo

macodelo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

1.) I have played all the races:
    1. My first was a Hylotl named Gilleon, who unfortunately died from starvation.
    2. My second was an Avian named Avrian, who out of curiosity after raiding a Glitch Sect's hideout, discovered this contraption that apparently if you interact close to it... Squishes you.
    3. My third and 3rd successful a Glitch named Energo, who after discovering a merchant Avian vessel, built a tower tall to reach them. Of course, Energo learned in the end that he was not as flight responsive as the Avian's were.
    4. My fourth and hoping to be my last was a Floran named Barkruz, who's pride in the hunt got the best of him, and it wasn't long until he got cornered behind a steep hill that he couldn't climb out of well enough before the beasts got to him (*sniff*).
    5. My fifth and second successful a Human named Adrian... Yeah exploring deep into the caves, I have learned never to fight things you don't well understand yet.
    6. Lastly, also my least favorite race but ironically became my most successful and current character, an Apex named Beardleon. He has eventually made a full rebel get up, successfully survived an Alpha forested planet, its arid moon, its depths to the deepest chasms where slime, mushroom, and lava block can be seen, and has successfully ventured into the Beta sector. There he has slain a kangaroo like beast and was awarded a demonic ax: 0.66 attack speed, but a mean DPS of 27-ish, but a whamming damage 29 with a burn affect to boost. With an iron hunters bow [a mean shot] in one hand, golden pickax in the other, and a lamp post on his back, he's always ready.
    So which race appeals to me you say? I would not part with Beardleon for it will be too painful at this point.

2.) First character? *cries*

3.) SO far, exploring has been my addiction. But primarily it's the building aspect. Sticking to my Minecraft (and perfectionist) roots, I found pleasure in building sustainable houses, farms, and yes out houses for the long travels into the wild. My mining system has never failed me, for it what kept me safe from harsh falls, dangerous creatures, and overall, an organized way to gather resources without jeopardizing safety. Also, if you not have figured it out, I play on Permadeath. As for treasure hunting, I find the treasure chests more valuable than its contents mostly, but I still keep the contents regardless.

4.) I hope to gather a trusted crew. Don't know if permadeath also carries on in multiplayer, if so, I must be careful who I pick. Otherwise, a public server would only make me a lone ranger in the end due to my paranoia of multiplayer interaction. *sigh*

5.) *cough*

6.) Guerrilla warfare: it is how Beardleon has survived for so long. Of course, if it becomes close combat quarters, I stick to the demonic axe, and then finally the fatal blow with my trusted bow. It has evolved from the original hunter's bow and since then I never needed to make another one. Plus, look at all this delicious meat I gathered! Overall, when I fight, I use my wits and resources no matter what, and I always have a plan and remember my escape route, because 99% of the time I am running away or hiding regardless. Oh yes, shoot first, eat later.

7.) Since I love building, I have come accustomed to just constantly build, so of course I will build wherever I reside. Of course every planet I come across will always have a main base. But I will always have my home from the first planet I inhabited. Eventually, I wish to make a gigantic base with a library, training facility, sustainable farm for all kinds of plants, trees, and crops for each race, a pool, kitchen, storage room, entertainment room, and a nice section overlooking the landscape. Perhaps this will be on a mountaintop or the usual underground as always. Until then, I am mostly nomadic. SO far the forest biomes have served me best, but I am not afraid to built in the harshes climates and biomes.

SirKaldar and Seria-Myouna like this.