1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What's YOUR playstyle? Share with us!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Seria-Myouna, Jun 16, 2013.

1. drayle88

drayle88 Master Chief

1. Until the NovaKids become playable, I will join the Hylotl
    2. I am a roleplayer, I'll adventure it out.
    3. I am on the run from bounty hunters, and I must survive until I am strong enough to get back to my homeworld.
    4. I am alone in the vacuum of space.
    5. 5 ish per day
    6. Give me a gun. A fast, long ranged gun.
    7. I need the ultimate system. I want to have a place that I can jump from planet to planet for whatever I need.

2. Freddy

Freddy Pangalactic Porcupine

1. I like the hotly for whatever reason, I think they have nice looking racial recipes for armor and weapons especially.
    2. I tend to just walk around, because of that I haven't progressed much but the game is more of something I chill with a friend over.
    3. I normally just explore planets, I pick up resources every once in a while and delve deeper on occasion too. All the while holding a conversation with a friend.
    4. I actually have played very little solo, almost exclusively with one other person. The server was meant for more people but everyone is on at different times due to timezones.
    5. I'll play for as long as I continue to find the game interesting.
    6. My fighting style largely depends on what weapons I happen to have and which ones do the most damage. I normally just do a clean sweep of planets, neutral mobs are useful for leather or pixels but villagers get a pass in my book.
    7. I really enjoy forest biomes although I'm still looking forward to the ocean biomes, as for the bases my friend and I normally make a single mega base. If we're exploring another planet we'll take tents and set up campsites with folding chairs and a campfire to pass the night.

3. William Lee Twitch

William Lee Twitch Subatomic Cosmonaut

1. What race are you going to play, and why? Do any of the races just not appeal to you at all?
    Started with a human, but now I play as a glitch.
    2. What are your plans for your first character? Rush through to the highest danger levels? Be a peaceful farmer?
    Go to planet, strip it of all resources, leave, cry myself to sleep on a mountain of pixels, find new planet, repeat.
    3. What do you like to do in the game? Is mining something that never gets boring to you? Are you a treasure hunter?
    Look at Answer #2.
    4. Are you going to play with other people? If so, with friends or on a big/small public server?
    Trying to get some friends to jump onto the wagon, but they are wary about it being in beta. I'll continue to bug them until the cave.
    5. How many hours do you think you're going to play?
    I'm at around 160ish hours right now. Still not bored.
    6. What combat style do you prefer? Melee, Ranged, etc. Will you fight every enemy you come across?
    Always start my attack from afar especially on groups. Then I take out anything that gets close with my sword or battle ax. On bosses, I attack them from a bunker with my rifle and a lot of bombs.
    7. Are you going to have one "Main" base, multiple smaller bases or just wander around? What biome do you think you'll enjoy the most?
    I just hop from planet to planet in my ship. It has all of the necessities for me to survive, but it is cramped. I may set up a nice big castle for the summer after I wipe out the next peaceful village I visit.

4. AxelRantila

AxelRantila Big Damn Hero

1. What race are you going to play, and why? Floran, they look really cool
    2. What are your plans for your first character? Focus on digging and crafting. Hunt and farm to get food
    3. What do you like to do in the game? Dig and discover the planets. And craft,
    4. Are you going to play with other people? If so, with friends or on a big/small public server? We'll see, but not right away
    5. How many hours do you think you're going to play? Really hard to tell, I didn't thin, I'd spend +130 hours on driving trucks around Europe.
    6. What combat style do you prefer? Melee, Ranged, etc. Will you fight every enemy you come across? At the moment melee. Will fight those who comes in my way
    7. Are you going to have one "Main" base, multiple smaller bases or just wander around? What biome do you think you'll enjoy the most? Most likely just one main base. Hard to say what biome I'll like the most.

5. JoeBlk

JoeBlk Star Wrangler

1. What race are you going to play, and why? Do any of the races just not appeal to you at all?
    I will play human only. Why should i play any other race?

2. What are your plans for your first character? Rush through to the highest danger levels? Be a peaceful farmer?
    Farming raw materials, build first tools, build first plant farm to grow food, farm more raw materials to be able to build higher quality stuff (armor, weapon).

3. What do you like to do in the game? Is mining something that never gets boring to you? Are you a treasure hunter?
    Farming is part of exploring and build a way to treasure hunt. :)

4. Are you going to play with other people? If so, with friends or on a big/small public server?
    Why play with other players, all the treasure is mine. *evil grin* :)

Until end of time or until i have all the treasure in the galaxy or until i have all the ore in the galaxy. :)

6. What combat style do you prefer? Melee, Ranged, etc. Will you fight every enemy you come across?
    Hunt them all down, ranged and if they more too close i switch back to melee.

7. Are you going to have one "Main" base, multiple smaller bases or just wander around? What biome do you think you'll enjoy the most?
    My space ship is home and my base...just the plant farm is on the planet. If i move to another planet i take all seeds with me and build a new plant farm on the new planet.

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  6. 3ternalkuuseki

3ternalkuuseki Master Chief

1.) Novakid , human . cuz i just think that novakid is for some reason awsome and humans are .. well can have cool lookin' hair in starbound
    2.)i'll go for rushing for the best equipment and if i can some legendaries and then try my best to go for x sector n' level 10 threat level planet
    3.)i'll go for fighting and treasure hunting + some mining in around a 4:7:2 ratio
    4.)if i can get a good server i'll play in that server
    5.)i think around 2.5 or 5 a day
    6.) i prefer melee or using a handgun
    7.)it's between one main base 'r jus' wanderin' around i guess

:cool::iswydt:

JoeBlk and Seria-Myouna like this.
  7. CrusaderDeleters

CrusaderDeleters Void-Bound Voyager

Either Human or Glitch. Human because they're... more natural to a character of me, or Glitch because of the medieval feel they have.
    My character will be a danger seeker, but if he knows that he will die, he won't go near.
    Mostly crafting.
    Yeah. Small group.
    A lot.
    He will be a master of Melee. Every enemy AND passive creature. Even little birds and squirrels, cuz reasons.
    One main base, and a couple of safe havens if I can't make it home.

JoeBlk and Seria-Myouna like this.
  8. quantian

quantian Aquatic Astronaut

Floran, murderplants? Murderplants

Murder everything, big things, small things, sapient things, rocks, if I can kill it or replicate the idea of killing it, I'm killing it.

Exploring, especially by night.

Yep, with friends on a server of some such worth

too many

Melee, I want to see the whites of their eyes.

One gigantic jungle of undiluted murder and wilderness.

Seria-Myouna and JoeBlk like this.
  9. DaMattGuy

DaMattGuy Space Spelunker

1. What race are you going to play, and why?
    Floran, for the same reasons my favorite Disgaea monster is the Aluraune. So I can be smexy, and deadly, and also smell great!

-Do any of the races just not appeal to you at all?
    Being a level 1 boring Human.

Do all the things!

I like to not have a huge meteor hit me right in the face... which happened 3 times on my starting planet!

Only with my friends. In the same room. So if they start being a @*#$ I can walk over and punch them. :lod:

Oh, several hundred at least.

6. What combat style do you prefer? Melee, Ranged, etc.?

I initially started with melee out of a need to not have my face eaten by the stupidly fast monsters (shields are hilariously strong). Looking at these new patch notes though, I'm probably going ranged, which is what I wanted to do in the first place.

-Will you fight every enemy you come across?

Only the ones with anger issues. And mini-bosses, because rare loots.

7. Are you going to have one "Main" base, multiple smaller bases or just wander around?

Fully Customizable Ship mod turned my ship into a massive fortress of absolutely everythingness, so planet-side is just for treasure hunting.

-What biome do you think you'll enjoy the most?
    Humid jungles, because it's the exact opposite to where I actually live (ice-covered mountains).

SketchUpTWH, Taso and JoeBlk like this.
  10. Azereiah

Azereiah Scruffy Nerf-Herder

1. What race are you going to play, and why?
    Human. It appeals to me more than the others except, perhaps, for NovaKids. The personality seems right to me.

-Do any of the races just not appeal to you at all?
    Avians. If it flies, it dies. I like their design from a designer's standpoint, but I despise everything they stand for. I've not found an Avian I haven't killed yet.

He's adventurous but not stupid. He likes making sure his gear is up to par before doing anything obviously dangerous, but might not remember to test the waters before jumping into something. He took out Dreadwing with a crappybroadsword and no tech skills, though, so I think he should be fine. :p

Explore planets to find dungeons. While exploring, mine out all of the medium to large ore veins visible from the surface during daytime.
    Explore more dungeons.
    Build a small settlement with a farm.
    Explore even more dungeons.

Avoid Apex test chambers like the plague because the tesla spike spam causes extreme framerate drops on my computer - or, at the very least, tunnel past them to the reward.

Not yet, my internet is too awful for that :D

A lot

6. What combat style do you prefer? Melee, Ranged, etc.?

Depends on my mood, really. Depends on the weapon.
    I'm finding that I like using dash/pulse jump tech with a shortsword and flashlight though.
    Still waiting to find a shotgun so I can figure out if I like those at all.

I dislike machineguns overall.

-Will you fight every enemy you come across?

Only the ones I can kill that want to kill me. Or the ones that drop good loot. Or the ones that are in the way.

How poor am I at that moment, and how low is my health?

7. Are you going to have one "Main" base, multiple smaller bases or just wander around?

Hm... If I possibly can, I'd love to build a large city and live in a tower at the center. Will need more than just a platinum pickaxe to do it, though. :I

-What biome do you think you'll enjoy the most?
    So far, jungles. I want a jungle with no poisonous water, but with access to lava. No meteors either. >:C

JoeBlk likes this.
  11. BlackGryphon

BlackGryphon Void-Bound Voyager

"1. What race are you going to play, and why? Do any of the races just not appeal to you at all?
    7. Are you going to have one "Main" base, multiple smaller bases or just wander around? What biome do you think you'll enjoy the most?"
    ^ (I copied and pasted all of this)

So to get right down to it, I actually have several races I'm running, mainly a female Hylotl and several Avali, an Apex or two and the standard human. I ran with Glitch in the beginning and have thus far not played as an Avian or Floran <---- ((yuk)). Oh I also have a Felin Catgirl Space Pirate.

As for the second question, I have Creative mode mod, so a lot of times I just build, then I might go through the progression, farm a bit, build some more, wash, rinse, repeat.

As for what I like about the game, that's a tough one to describe. I like pretty much everything, expesially the exploration. Every planet is a chance to see another weird creature, biome, weather, village.

Yes I do play with other people, mostly one other person though about 4 people have access to the server we play on

How many hours? I've racked up almost 300 hours so far...

Combat Style, I take a 2-Hand sword and rage on things, it's easy mode. Now that aimable weapons are in play I've taken to using some spears to, since they're OP right now

As for main base, yeah I have a town thing I've made on my solo and MP games. My buddy and I have plans for a planet city and have already built the foundations. We kinda stopped since we fear another world wipe and didn't want to gett too far into the project only to loose it

JoeBlk likes this.
  12. Hunter1204

Hunter1204 Void-Bound Voyager

The glitch. Something about them i don't really know i just like them.

Do any of the races just not appeal to you at all?
    The race i dislike the most is the Avians. Every single one i have met tried to kill me bad first impression.

Well on my first ever character i honestly kind of rushed through it.

I find the resource gathering part of the game the most boring. I prefer to go to planets and discover randomly generated dungeons to pillage.

Sadly i am a lone glitch in my little mountain home.

Too many.

Well if i encounter an enemy using a ranged weapon i just walk up to them with my shield and then destroy them with my melee.
    So melee.

I currently reside in a giant mansion filled with glitchy things. and glitchy stuff.

What biome do you think you'll enjoy the most?
    In my opinion i find the snow biomes to be the most relaxing. It gives me a cozy feeling to sit next to my Glitch fireplace watching the snowflakes fall around me.

Azereiah, JoeBlk and DaMattGuy like this.
  13. Mallacor

Mallacor Great Scott!

Q: What race are you going to play, and why? Do any of the races just not appeal to you at all?
    A: Selected Avian once just to see what they looked like, clicked random alot till one random came out with a perfect character look to a perfect character name, so stuck with it since then. Pluss the ship looks the best.
    [​IMG]Avian
    Q: What are your plans for your first character? Rush through to the highest danger levels? Be a peaceful farmer?
    A: Take it one step at a time.

Q: 3. What do you like to do in the game? Is mining something that never gets boring to you? Are you a treasure hunter?
    A: Explorer, like to pack up my gear, so loss of items upon hardcore death is low, store what I don't need, stock up on what I do. Food, resources, items. Then dig dig dig, cave explore etc. Oh and Ropes, love ropes. Can't wait to get Grappling Hooks! That's gonna be a blast.

Q: Are you going to play with other people? If so, with friends or on a big/small public server?
    A: I tend to stay away from multiplayer.

Q: How many hours do you think you're going to play?
    A: I as often as I can.

Q: What combat style do you prefer? Melee, Ranged, etc. Will you fight every enemy you come across?
    A: Prefer gorilla tactics, like if I see an opportunity will dig to a certain point under a mob, then remove the last bit with the matter manipulator and watch it fall down a cave or larva/acid fall on it.

Q: Are you going to have one "Main" base, multiple smaller bases or just wander around? What biome do you think you'll enjoy the most?
    A: I love the ship, so want to ONLY store all my stuff there. Don't want to go around spreading out bases, rather my ship feel like home, cause that's where my port of call is. Not just ability wise but it's where I like the most.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
    JoeBlk likes this.
  14. Managan_

Managan_ Void-Bound Voyager

For my first one, Hylotl. They just appeal to me. :3
    Get up to pond armor at the very least, cause I need the look! And also look for a butterfly boost tech.
    I like to play as a sort of, space pirate samurai (hence the look) and fight everything with a 2h hylotl katana-style sword (see below o3o)
    211820_screenshots_2014-04-13_00002.jpg
    I might play with some friends. We were thinking of rping
    ALL OF THE HOURS
    Melee, and yes I will fight every enemy! I can't run away unless I'm trying to lure one enemy out in front!
    I'll probably use my ship as a base cause I'll be looting everywhere I can find so I'll need all of my stations and items on my ship :3

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    JoeBlk likes this.
  15. Marcellow

Marcellow Tentacle Wrangler

I'm going to play Human because I like playing a race that's like my own. :)

I don't have many plans other than just getting through the game and having my bases set up. I'm a explorer-type.

I like to explore, kill monsters and collect resources to craft stuff.

I wouldn't mind playing with others but I don't know anyone else in real life that plays Starbound.

Quite casually as I'm not as young as I used to be; job hunting sucks.

I prefer melee because I hate ranged. As for enemies, I'll see if I can get them off my trail first.

I wouldn't mind having a biome in the woods or forest.

JoeBlk likes this.
  16. Bat-Man

Bat-Man Space Spelunker

Cant say. My enemy might be listening in on this...

17. WinterHeartWolf

WinterHeartWolf Void-Bound Voyager

1) I'm playing as Hylotl. Their oriental background is really appealing and I really like the look and feel of some of their equipment. I'm not very keen on Apex or Humans because of the amount of hostility I've received from those races.

2) I've been rushing to the high danger levels because it's much easier to advance when the higher-level resources are closer to the planet surfaces. When I reach a certain technological point I will build a laboratory on a home planet and dedicate it to performing tests on plants, perhaps if different crops require different conditions to grow properly.

3) My favourite activities are exploring and farming. I also really like to build underground bases on planets with hostile environments, such as acidic rain, snow storms and/or cold conditions, as I find the atmosphere created by such conditions to be very exciting (potentially a result of playing Metro 2033 too much!)

4) I'd love to play in a small community. I'm not too fond of being in a system with too many strangers as I tend to prefer being able to trust and support others as part of a group.

5) I'm not sure about that one, however I am finding the game incredibly addictive - I'm certainly not running out of things to do!

6) I usually have a gun and two one-handed swords with me. My preferred fighting style is ranged, although melee seems to be more effective at clearing out hostile life forms at the moment.

7) It's likely that I'll only have one 'main' base, which will probably be fairly compact, as I'm not fond of using massive amounts of building materials to create what I'd call 'wasted space.'

18. JKRRASSD

JKRRASSD Big Damn Hero

1. Glitch first then try some other races. Thoughtful: I love the glitch's search for individuality and answers. Not really liking the Hylotl to peaceful and loving, you need to know when to fight.
    2. I'll probably wander around the galaxy for a while at a medium pace then settle down somewhere that doesn't have meteor showers!
    3. I'm definitely a treasure hunter who likes a bit of subterranean exploration now and then. I love finding all the new and unique items out there.
    4. I'll probably just play single player but I may play on an RP server now and then.
    5. When I don't have things going on, namely school, probably 3 to 4 hours a day.
    6. I prefer the sword and shield but I'll probably initiate combat with a few gunshots from afar. But only against the evil ones or the ones that try to kill me first.
    7. Definitely one main base set as my home on whatever biome suits me best at the time I decide to settle down.

19. Haplo

Haplo Master Chief

1. Glitch is my favorite. and floran and hylotl are too alien for my liking
    2. my Main (1st) was a slow progression to dangerous levels, now i am a farmer on said dangerous levels.
    3. I enjoy all of it, Mining, exploring, battling monters, but my favorite is the space travel. id sure like to see more space oriented things (space stations, ship wrecks/forgotten space battle remnants)
    4. I relish multiplayers, both friends and on servers big or small ive noticed it's easy to get yourself lost if you want to. trouble is protecting your belongings and home planet
    5. i've already logged 700 hours im sure ive got tons more left in me
    6. i prefer melee but sometimes it cals for ranged. in wich case i like single shot weapons
    7. Depends but i usually claim an entire star system, and colonize each planet for certain things. my home planet however is my main storage and hangout. Favorite Biome easily Moons. no idea why
    8.(what would you add to the game if you could add anything?) Thats easy, something like stargates. so you can have multiple colonized planets and travel between them. fuel could be used respectively. it also would make seeing your friends worlds easier. you could even have an iris function so you can close your world.

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  20. RTBot

RTBot Void-Bound Voyager

Top race is Avali for me, because fluffy nomadic space raptors. Also Floran ssstabbing fun, yesss?

I just derped around on my first character doing things at my own pace. These days though, I'm in construction. (Or ssstabbing.)

Building bases has always been my thing. And being a murderous, carnivorous plant has its perks.

I usually play solo, but server play is cool as well. I have a community I can play with too.

Over 800 logged so far...

Depends on how civilized I'm feeling at the time. And no, bubble boost is my favorite tech for a reason.

I have one major base in every sector, two in alpha, plus several minor locations in gamma onwards. Snow and Tundra are top picks for me, but good looking magma planets can sway me too.

Bishop Blitz likes this.