1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the best galaxy/sector to establish a home planet?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Arkitech, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Arkitech

Arkitech Pangalactic Porcupine

Any suggestions on that best area to build up a base? Doesn't have to be coordinate specific, but just a galaxy or sector that's more likely to have big planets with a lot going on.

Also are there any armors or craftable devices for moving quickly across or through the planet?

2. GeneralMittens

GeneralMittens Subatomic Cosmonaut

I would suggest a mid tier planet, maybe one with a village or two. You can also find techs like cars that can speed up adventuring.

3. Jack_Kéther

Jack_Kéther Scruffy Nerf-Herder

one word about dat before build a base explore the planet and rest 2-3 days on planets you like
    why?
    acid rain will kill npc, meteor shower will destroy your base ect...so before set a home be sure u don't have risky meteo even on it

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    Tamorr and TrueEdge like this.
  4. Juice Box

Juice Box Pangalactic Porcupine

Juice Box remembers him building a big house and potato farm on a planet, and then later that day found flufftonnes of holes in his house.

GeneralMittens likes this.
  5. GeneralMittens

GeneralMittens Subatomic Cosmonaut

I personally warn the Juice Box to watch out for fire rocks form the sky.

Juice Box likes this.
  6. Milan Mree

Milan Mree Ketchup Robot

Aside from the obvious where you shouldn't settle on a hostile environment planet, unless that's your thing, it's mostly just going to be whichever planet you like the most. There's no disadvantage or advantage to making a base on a planet at any tier in particular, aside from the NPCs and wildlife. Generally speaking it will be your preference if you want NPCs and if you want them to have the best type of gear for sale, etc because if that's the case you will only want to make a base in the highest tier sector possible and only on a safe planet.

Edit for clarity.

Serenity likes this.
  7. Jack_Kéther

it's a choise but i only play in alfa/beta/gamma sector, X sector is so unbalanced, i only devour a sector X planet for vanity item
    exept that as usual i recommend a some mod(s)
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/meteors-no-longer-destroy-blocks.1213/ special edition for Juicebox ;)
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/invasions.957/ u will hate this one :)
    and my heart stroke http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/its-raining-men-ultimate-weather-mod.845/

8. Shotgun75

Shotgun75 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Try not to settle on a planet that rains gravel.

Serenity and Untrustedlife like this.
  9. Shotgun75

Shotgun75 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Also building a base on an Alpha sector planet gives your characters access to it from the start

10. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

The best is subjective (correct?) to each individual, so there will be some varying opnions to what is.

I usually go for an alpha/beta planet, and look for features I like about it; like Koalas or a certain type of tree, if not the terrain formations themselves. The general lay of the land is nice. Then if it hasn't rained rocks, debre, or hazard in general then I probably will like it. The main one I tend to avoid is the meteor ones. The other types i can deal with for the most part. Did I mention I am always on the search for those Koalas that are friendly.

In my case it will be a long time before I call a planet home, but there are plenty that I setup temporarily till I find that planet. So I guess the true question would be to ask yourself "what are you looking for in a homeworld?"

It might be a long search for some, and shorter for others; it varies to what you are looking for in a homeworld.

11. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

I would say beta sector. Turrets are effective there, and you can get iron for making villagers.

12. Arkitech

Arkitech Pangalactic Porcupine

So what sectors have the biggest planets? Something where it takes a good amount of time to walk across the entire planet.

13. Jack_Kéther

14. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

You'll find any size in any sector... You just have to look long enough...

15. Lazogna

Lazogna Contact!

I went for one with pleasant weather and a village in the highest sector/threat level, figuring it would be a bit more challenging to explore the whole planet in the endgame.

There won't be sectors next time I play, but pleasant (not deadly) weather and a village still sound like good bullet points.