1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the point of the Beam-Up restriction?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by conanthealien, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

It would be ideal for CF to finish balancing the tiers and such before adding more bosses and to make it so monsters attacking you from below would have a specific body part that shows you that they can attack you from below. Like one of those lizards with the lava crater on it's back could end up below you and you'd be separated by a few blocks of dirt. The animal would have a brief (not too short, there has to be reasonable reaction time) animation before firing some fire/burning rocks/whatever from the hole in their back up at you, and if they're above ground, the objects/fire/whatever would go up and then come down at certain angles that would be semi-random, so melee and ranged would have to approach them carefully in their own way. Maybe the objects could block ranged shots so ranged users would have to time their shots and melee users could take damage if the object collides with them.

I just don't want cases of enemies that look the same between two planets and one can't attack from below but the other can. More survival systems would be nice, as would creating devices/upgrades that allow you to eventually survive them/tackle it. Like I mentioned earlier, Magma/Volcanic planets might be too hot (under the freezing to death/overheating survival mechanic) for most characters until you create an item that can lessen the effect in greater amounts as you advance.

SivCorp likes this.
  2. Ashgan

Ashgan Subatomic Cosmonaut

your single player is in fact my single player so any changes done to one affect the other so yes it does in fact have an impact.
    Also I was more to the point making the argument that nerfing single player should always be a consideration to have a level of difficulty in the game, saying never nerf single player is like saying take out everything hard and don't introduce new challenge.

bluecollarart likes this.
  3. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

Except it's not challenging... it's tedium. It's pointless time spent redoing something you have already done.... when you have a teleporter.

Tsal likes this.
  4. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Teleporting away from underground dosent just remove the trip back.

If you go underground without the ability to teleport back you do so very differently then if you can teleport back.

If you can just teleport back the whole mining thing becomes a haphazardly jump down a hole and then a teleport back (you dont need to bring much and barely plan ahead, theres only a slimer of risk involved).

If you cant teleport back you need to plan ahead much more, like bringing materials to make a path out, perhaps bringing tent's and a boxes to make "checkpoints" where you can drop ore's while you explore further, balancing the greed for materials with caution so that you dont lose it all.

In my humble opinion: Its similar too the difference between a casual stroll trough the woods with a satellite phone to call in a chopper (thats on standby nearby) whenever you need it and trying to survive in the wilderness on your own.

As i said before i wouldent mind checkboxes so that everyone can have their cake and eat it at the same time. But if they would instead go with one option then i would highly prefear no teleports underground.

5. Tsal

Tsal Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You still run the same risks, you just don't have to revisit them, which by that time isn't really a risk at all because you know what's waiting for you upon return.

In any video game there will always be people who defend systems of arbitrary punishment for the sake of "ZOMG I'M SOO SKILLED HARDCORE" which is usually a farce to begin with because the punishments being defended almost always have little to nothing to do with actual hand eye coordination.

6. Garatgh Deloi

You dont face the same risk, not even close.

Starving becuse you didnt consider food? Teleport up to get food. Fell down a cliff and cant get up becuse you didnt bother to bring any rope? Teleport up. Hard enemies and low on health? Teleport up and heal yourself. Theres little risk if you have a one press panic button that solves allmost every problem you can run into while mining.

Btw why would i care for hand eye coordination? Im talking about planning ahead, prepearing and doing sound judgements on how to proceed, it has nothing to do with hand eye coordination (or reflexes). If you think challenges can only be presented by having to master something that require hand eye coordination then you have seriously missed out.

If you dont have teleportation: Starving? Mad rush for the surface, possibly heart pounding if you have a large amount of ores on you that you have too risk losing becuse of your mistake. Fell down a cliff that you cant get up? Explore and find another way or make a way up. Hard enemies and low on health? Epic moment time! These senario's would challenge you, especially if you dont prepear. But its hardly punishing.

Edit: I just remebered that they are removing the starving functionality, sigh. Ignore those two examples.

7. Tsal

Tsal Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Carrying around a stack of food is hardly a rebuttal.

8. Garatgh Deloi

^^ We can ignore that example anyway since i remebered that they are removing the possibility to starve.

But the argument still stands.

9. Tsal

Tsal Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't think it does stand or hold water because you're going to do this kind of prep anyway regardless of teleporting abilities.

Think of the long term, we should never have specific location teleportation ability?

If I want to build an under lava city I should have to fall down a hole I dug every time I want to go there?

10. Garatgh Deloi

False, theres simply no need for most of the preperations if you have said teleportation ability.

Specific location teleportation for base/city/etc building is fine, just make the option expensive and/or tech restricted so that its not something spammed early-mid game. (however they choose to do it, i would suggest a beacon that lets you beam to it and to the ship from it).

Or you could just make a skyrail track (takes seconds to go down to the lava level and dosent take long to travel up either).

11. The Ghost of Ember

The Ghost of Ember Void-Bound Voyager

I think a telepipe type item would be the ideal solution. Limited use item, low drop rate or expensive to replace so that you try to make your trips underground as fruitful and well prepared as possible, but so you don't have to do painful backtracking.

Most games nowadays shunt you back out as soon as the dungeon is completed, but they have the privilege of being designed rather than procedurally generated. Since mining doesn't have such as easy 'get out as soon as you've got the resources you need', despite being functionally a procedurally generated dungeon environment, a limited use telepipe or teleport seems like an optimal solution.

It also might be worth looking at how other procedurally generated dungeon games manage this. Most however are roguelites like Rogue's Legacy where death is incorporated as the quick out. Since Starbound is trying to punish death though, not sure what alternatives are out there.

conanthealien and bluecollarart like this.
  12. UltraSnaky

UltraSnaky Pangalactic Porcupine

i must add to this thread that when i saw it i was very tempted to post, "to restrict beaming up" in response to the title

conanthealien and Heartstrings like this.
  13. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

The point the OP made was that the restriction is pointless when quitting does the same thing as beaming up. It needs to be fixed.

conanthealien and Heartstrings like this.
  14. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

Or it doesn't need fixed. That is the discussion.

15. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I still think it doesn't need to be fixed. As Sivcorp said, it would be used as a panic button for almost any situation in single and multiplayer. While it sounds ideal, i would Have questions for an item that does the same thing instantaneously on your person. What is the effect of a person that hoards the item? Moving the spawn point is much easier to manage, in my opinion.

Its one thing to mitigate the skills required for certain tasks. It is another to remove them all together. That's where you get situations where either the player is unprepared by the game mechanics of future content, or the answer and approach to content is the same unbeatable solution.

16. OuttaThinAir

OuttaThinAir Big Damn Hero

You're right, I don't see why, especially since if you want to escape a dungeon, I generally just break a hole in the background. :ssssssssss:

17. Ferengi Latinum Farmer

Ferengi Latinum Farmer Subatomic Cosmonaut

It does need to be fixed because it's currently janky and obviously sending mixed signals to everyone. If it's ok to quit out to get back then the teleport button should let you do that anywhere. If it's not ok then you should not be able to warp back up by quitting out. Right now it just looks like the devs couldn't decide what they wanted to do with this.

Ashgan and Heartstrings like this.
  18. Feera

Feera Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think it'd be neat to quit the game, then end up where you left off.

I also think it'd be neat to be able to beam up from anywhere, BUT, when done in said situations (low on health, below surface, etc) it should give you some sort of debuff for some time and cost some pixels :)

Just a birdy's opinion!

conanthealien likes this.
  19. Mystify

Mystify Void-Bound Voyager

lesseneing the beam-up restrictions doesn't mean opening it so wide that its a panic button

20. OuttaThinAir

OuttaThinAir Big Damn Hero

Huh. I guess you're right. If you do that, it's less of a panic button, because if you run into underground combat, then you're going to have a really hard time beaming back up.