1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the point of the Beam-Up restriction?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by conanthealien, Aug 26, 2014.

1. conanthealien

conanthealien Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If you go below a certain amount of earth, Beam Up is disabled, right? But if you just save-and-quit to the menu screen, you can go back into your save file and you're in your ship as if you had just Beamed Up.

Right now the game is punishing where it doesn't need to be, and has an easy workaround to a mechanic intended to limit you severely.

"Comprehensive" solution:
    –Switch the lockout so that while underground, any nearby lifeforms(within one screen perhaps?) will disable the Beam Up function because other lifeforms will confuse the already-impaired sensor. The result is that you can't beam up because of danger while digging, but casual exploration on the surface is still reasonable. You can Beam Up when you're just done with mining, making a trek back or save-quit not needed.
    –Make it so that save-and-quit saves your current location. This entirely disables the Beaming lock workaround I mentioned, as well as makes it so that you don't have to start exploring again over the same area just because you want to eat dinner on time. >_>

Some Cool Things that others have suggested:
    -Dying still serves the same purpose as the save-and-quit method, but this is Okay, because it imposes a money/ore tax.
    -Have tents act as save points for your location.
    -Any of the above/below in any combination, but selecting different difficulties changes the rules(i.e. Casual lets you teleport whenever, normal doesn't, hardcore perhaps does something even worse?)
    -Have a consumable item that teleports you to the surface.
    -More meta and not entirely in the vein of this discussion, but have a "Custom" difficulty where you can choose which rules you want to lay by. Same contributor as before.
    @Zuvaii -No offense to you, but this post is a train-wreck. It has some good ideas, but you've not parsed them well for a casual perusal. Give Teleporting a cool down or spin-up time. It can't be used as a panic button anymore, but you can still go home when you're done mining.
    -Incorporate some sort of alternate teleportation system where you can make new TP locations. (Source 1, Source 2, also, there's already a mod that does this guys)
    -Make Teleporting while low on health(or in any other dangerous situation) impose a debuff with a long cooldown or impose a pixel tax. (Source)
    -Elevators! Only solves a part of the problem, but it would be so frikkin sweet to ride those babies in the game, right?(Source)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  2. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

in almost all forms of science fiction
    long ranged teliporters will never work if your inside/underground

thats propley the reason it doent work now

3. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

Gameplay balance/reasoning probably doesn't (and shouldn't) take into consideration bugs/unintended happenings/side-stepping actual game mechanics.

I agree with your suggestion, though.

Exxil3d, Heartstrings and Serenity like this.
  4. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

that and you can get stuck underground

Axe Garian, Lintton and Serenity like this.
  5. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

Didn't think about that. good point.

Axe Garian likes this.
  6. conanthealien

conanthealien Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's actually supposed to be two different solution that can work together. The first is to make Beaming UP from underground a specifically non-emergency option. The second is so that you actually can get stuck underground. Currently that's impossible unless you refuse to log out, but this would change that.

What about making Beaming Up through solid earth a upgrade to the ship?

7. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Wouldn't that be a helmet upgrade, and not a ship upgrade?

8. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

Works for me. I don't like having the save trick even in existence.

Serenity likes this.
  9. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Saving and quitting to get out of underground is not a good mechanic. Too easy to abuse this. Returning to the surface should be part of the adventure / struggle.

Also, how can you get trapped underground if you always have the multi-tool thing?

10. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

Ease of movement is always a good upgrade. If you hate the idea you can just not use it. Win Win

11. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Well I was thinking more of when I am underground and I have to save the game. I would prefer to load back into the game where I was. It's a good idea to have the beam-up option, yes, but not as default save and quit option, if possible.

I don't know if there is a technical reason for not having it. I think Terraria did it the same way on save and quit?

Just a preference :)

12. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

the way terraria and starbound handle save and quit (as far as my understanding goes) is they save tile data (location, state, type) but not entity data (location)
    this is that entity and player data are different, the player is the player, and entities are items and monsters
    then minecraft just saves everything
    I dont know how easy it would be to change the way things are saved though

I hope most of what I said here makes sense/is correct so feel free to correct anything thats wrong

bluecollarart likes this.
  13. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I would have no problem with the player's direct location being saved. It'll cut down on the potential abuse of quitting to just clearing out random monsters.

If I get stuck underground, well by that point I'll always have the means to dig.

Axe Garian and Starbug like this.
  14. Cpt_FluffyBottom

Cpt_FluffyBottom Aquatic Astronaut

I think the main reason why its doesn't let you beam up underground is because you will get infused with dirt and become dirtman (Or some disgusting blob of flesh and dirt)

15. Lintton

Lintton Guest

In the early days of space travel, that's how Po are made.

Heartstrings and Serenity like this.
  16. ganessaroland

ganessaroland Pangalactic Porcupine

The saving location thing would be very useful.

17. Treldent02

Treldent02 Orbital Explorer

The main reason is probably just to stop you from escaping caves to quickly (Even though you can still just exit out of the instance and log back in)

18. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Save and quit scumming should be removed and burned in a big bad fire.

19. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

I see no problem with the save method. Dont like it? Dont use it.
    No need to nerf single player.

Worried about multiplay? Server side characters can have save location enabled. It exists in Terraria, I'm sure Starbound will have it as well.

So nothing to see here.

20. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Man, that'd be nice for those of us with big, sprawling build projects too. If I'm working on my satellite or on the buildings on the far west end of the compound but need to do something outside the game, like, maybe sleep, not having to traipse back every time I come back to the game would be great.

bluecollarart and Axe Garian like this.