1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you guys think the Starbound Community's reaction will be?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by TheGamer100, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Tweakz

Tweakz Void-Bound Voyager

True. But as someone else already pointed out with up to date steam charts, Starbound is hardly played anymore for total different reason of course.
    Sad thing for people who ignored the game on purpose to not get burned out of it is, if they come back after a half a year and see nothing much new the get mad.
    And that is okay in my opinion. 6 Months is quite some time. And the normal "non forum reader" customer actually doesnt give a damn about problems in development.
    For myself i keep an eye on forums and also stopped playing.

Elate likes this.
  2. Hefeweizen

Hefeweizen Starship Captain

I beg to differ, most of my friends are "non-forum reading" types. Most of my RL friends I game with have Starbound, and the only information they receive about their early access games is through patch notes. So as far as they're concerned the condition of StarBound is "Chucklefish took the money and ran, RIP Starbound." and that is a direct quote.

Its weird that people think that six months without a patch is acceptable in Early Access to most people.

makraiz, Elate, Madzai and 3 others like this.
  3. Rink

Rink Void-Bound Voyager

4. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Still, an imaginative person. I think he was only joking.

5. ravenscroftranch

ravenscroftranch Industrial Terraformer

the little story reviews are always made as jokes such as the posts about loseing ones family due to how good a game is or other lol haha reviews giving 10/10 for murdering kittens or for the fact that bandits heads explode with headshots...

on the other side of serious threats to staff personal attacks etc.. lets point out that those come from both fans and critics... such as the fans who used to troll the steam forums looking to pick a verbal fight with anyone who was vaguely dissapointed with any aspect of the game...

they were also here and banned as i whitnessed on more then one occasion ....

just like the "its a scam they ran with the money" people most of those are banned due to not adding any constructive discussions....

they do it for entertainment and in time they get bored when they dont getthe attention they seek by acting out..

and given the long period of time that will have lapsed before the update all of them will be moving on to the next forum to troll...

and most of the ones who will remain will be calm and also older... also given the time that will have lapsed ...

Starbug likes this.
  6. TheGamer100

TheGamer100 Void-Bound Voyager

I feel like whoever wrote that review spent too much time thinking about what they should write.

7. Lazogna

Lazogna Contact!

I just thumbs down bombed all of the "developers are crooks" reviews. Generally any review that is less than a sentence long is useless, positive or negative. In starbound's case a lot of the negative reviews have nothing at all to do with the actual game.

Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of legit criticism there, but the development schedule alone (without commentary on the game itself) is less than useless.

Tamorr likes this.
  8. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

Yes, Sorry if I exaggerated the troll population on Steam forums, did not mean to. We are more similar then we are different, the only real difference being the differences in forum rules which make dissenting users feel safer on Steam while non-dissenting users prefer here. Other then that we are all gamers who want to see this game come out just with various levels of faith in the development process.

And again I did not mean by my comment to say steam is full of trolls. Just that asides from the happy and apathetic comments you we get some wisecracks for the sake of a laugh. Just say someone make a "Release date 3000" joke here even.

Welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy.

Don't mean to call our critics trolls, more the people who like post "Starbound 2 leaked, image inside" or the likes. Some of the critics post interesting rebuttals to the way things are being handled and I may agree with them on some things (not on everything).

I do thing the update will cool the war down, I mean the beta calmed the "beta is coming" and "beta is a scam" crowds for a while. Plus this whole thing has been reminiscent of it just with the beta mega-thread this time being steam forums and the issue being an update rather then the beta.

9. ravenscroftranch

@linkthegamer nono i was just stateing you dont have to feel bad about calling a troll a troll i know theres a ton of them and you/we get them here on the official forums aswell just liek that review posted by Rink showing the lol haha reviews ...
    in the long run the more popular the more trolls a game gets.. simpley because alot of rats in a cage causes chaos....

just liek the larger the team the more chaos in the office as im sure CF has found out along with the more stress etc etc.. thats why at tiems being human even the devs can sway from theire peaceful additudes to utter chaos ...

however thats why i kept pleading on the steam forums for interaction directed from CF to steam since this has happend the forum is barable compared to the chaos that was the SB forums in steam from febuary till june when finn steped in then the devs started interacting again...

omni was always helpful like he is now when i first got sb on steam..
    im extremely happy this line of communication has been re-established and also communication between we on steam and you guys here on the sb official forums....

and the reputation of steam being the devil can be worked on and those who felt uncomfortable to post on either forum can now feel more at ease...
    and yes i do realize playstarbound had the same reputation as steam did here ... kinda funny actualy...

but constructive dialog is the most important thing in forums it reflects the fact that we arent in caves smacking eachother with clubs and we are civilized ...

and just to reinforce a point made earlier in the thread yes as consumers we sometimes forget artists are sensative... however on the other end when you go into business in a harsh industry like the gaming industry you have to keep in mind gamers are harsh when it comes to our games...

Starbug likes this.
  10. Tweakz

Tweakz Void-Bound Voyager

true.. constructive dialogs and clear communication on both sides would do good. But his must as said come from both sides, including CF. Even the fact that CF can name a aprx. release date for a patch makes people worry that a finish date will never happen. So its a bit of a dilemma. On the one side the have the Devs. wanting to finish something promising. On the other hand we have the customers waiting now very long for a patch promised a while ago. So don´t expect a love storm on steam after release. A lot people will be pleased that finally something happend again, since it is a game with tons of potentional and a strong modding community.

11. Rink

Rink Void-Bound Voyager

I made that myself
    of course it was a joke

Starbug likes this.
  12. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Very well said, friend. A troll is a troll and calling them out when you see them, to highlight them to others who may not see it is a good cause.

Lazogna likes this.
  13. Jack_Kéther

Jack_Kéther Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i never say you're a troll >.> i just say steam community will stay steam community (yeah minority of the steam community, well you know what i mean )

14. Starbug

Starbug Guest

If cf were a clickbaiting games website they would call that a legitimate death threat and pump it for all the incredulity inducing publicity they could.

I find these developers to have a good sense of humour..

15. Son0fgrim

Son0fgrim Spaceman Spiff

I know what my reaction will be:
    "God damn it now I need to wait for my Mods to update!"

Jack_Kéther likes this.
  16. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

Think the quote glitched. I was just stating I did not mean to invoke the "everyone who does not agree with me is a troll" thing. Kinda worried my wording might have came off as such.

Not to mention it seems a lot of gamers feel jaded by the industry from other things major gaming companies have done. Back when the game was in pre-order Terraria online had users talking about how it was the scummiest thing since DLC. So we are extra harsh about games since we are so used to being given broken shovelware or just feeling like the gaming industry is all about making money not pleasing the consumer/gamer.

17. Bagel

Bagel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

LethalShade likes this.
  18. ravenscroftranch

@linkthegamer yeah you are right.. along with people who feel early access is a sham because of the few bad eggs warZ and towns kinda tarnished early access in a big way along with others that sank hard..

its become a messy program to get into so everyone looks at early access in a bad light .. not everyone.. alot of people do...
    i still hang onto the ideals that come with indie devs and also the ideals of testing products many who are now able to test through early access never tested so they dont know about the process and the rate of failure in development...

and the industry is brutal some of the devs arent prepared for it when they get into the gaming industry...

when you work for a company its alot easier then when you are that company...

and alot of the studios are now ran by sensative artist types and in the gameing industry ... its hard for sensative people to survive ..

and people are brutal and sometimes its hardest for someone who loves their art to hear someone comments negatively about it ...
    and devs have to hear it daily in early access and indie devs realy get hit hard by it seen it many times ...

19. Shock

Shock Spaceman Spiff

Why is this question asking about the Starbound community when frankly, we are the Starbound, mainly Chucklefish, community? I can't really determine what my reaction will be anyway because first of all I can't look into the future and secondly, I don't play Starbound. Yes, it's a tragic tale of a man and an old and slow computer, you should read it.

20. TheGamer100

TheGamer100 Void-Bound Voyager

I just wanted to see what people, who played the game, think what their reaction would be when the update comes out. Also I didn't exactly target this question to people who couldn't play the game.