1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you guys think the Starbound Community's reaction will be?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by TheGamer100, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Starboundcommunity566

Starboundcommunity566 Pangalactic Porcupine

I've pretty much given up on this game, I'm playing a new game that is in 3d (So its harder to code for) and its updating a lot all the time. I remember another game from the past that tried to do the largely random thing was impossible creatures. I can only assume that it bombed hard since I've never heard mention of it.

I think The main thing I learned was that random everything is just a bad idea that's too ambitious to go anywhere. And trying to make an anti-mob farm game can hurt the fun for everyone else (Just like elder scrolls removing mark/recall/levitate as it can be exploited). Theres all these ideas, some pretty big but without any focus or direction.

27 races with no racial differences? I have a million+ in minecraft, Its called reskin.

500 different biomes? 500 different monsters? That switching your texture pack every now and then, its still the same few under the paint.

That really you got 1 character, 3-4 monster types, a couple biomes with many having only a slight difference.

I don't think it would be impossible to make a mod where every now and then it auto changes your texturepack in some games.

I think looking at how long surface caves are taking/took to get fixed is a good indication of how much this game's dragging it's feet.

Colton, Nimeni and Madzai like this.
  2. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

Can you mention either of the games, I'm just curious as to what they are. PM is fine (both the one you moved to and the one that you assumed bombed.)

Also there is a random mobs mod for MC chat randomly reskins mobs, and Voxelbox had some sort of plug-in that would allow the server to change which Texturepack you were using in a given area.

3. This. You tell 'em, preacher man!

4. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Where there is hate, may we bring harmony. Where there is misinfo, may we bring truth. Where there is lack of developer involvement, may we bring the olive branch of decorum. And where there is trolls, may we bring anti-trolls.

5. melonthemelon

melonthemelon Seal Broken

where imbalance be snakes thrust down

6. Discohydra

Discohydra Phantasmal Quasar

I'm extremely excited for all of the changes. I'm particularly excited for the wiring system changes as logged here (http://starbounder.org/Version_History/Nightly). The changes that all objects are wirable and scriptable will bring extreme power to some mods (namely Starfoundry, which is my favorite.) I've always loved using the wiring in Starbound. It brings automation to bases, and that's what makes it worth it (to me) to have a base.

Serenity and Jbeetle like this.
  7. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Serenity likes this.
  8. Camus

Camus Void-Bound Voyager

Actually I have been, sitting on my shitbucket having my wife feed me, my F5 key worn down to the block, my family in a constant state of sorrow over the man I've become. They should be grateful, as I cashed in on my 401k and got lucky rolling the insurance dice, in dire anticipation of the next update, and by doing so they have been well taken care of. I'm not complaining, although it isn't easy sitting here 24 hours a day for over six months screaming at everyone to be quiet because hey what if my kids were annoying me with their homework at the precise moment some news got pushed to Steam? I think they are too afraid of that concept now, which is nice, so I have that going for me.

Starbug, Lemuria and Pyre like this.
  9. Spacebeard the Pirate

Spacebeard the Pirate Void-Bound Voyager

Oh, I am sure they will still be kicking and screaming, demanding that it is not the ice cream cone they wanted and that it needs to be right this second.

10. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Oh, I get it now! You are saying all the people on Steam are entitled kids. Haven't heard that one before.

Lazogna, Konsai, Ice_kitten and 2 others like this.
  11. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

And where there is light, there is darkness.

...sorry, I've been watching too much Legend of Korra.

Starbug and Bughunter like this.
  12. nofo

nofo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

• USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST. Reason: Being a jerk. Expires: One month.
    And posts like this are what separates blithering idiots from the rest of the community.

Lazogna, Flantomas, khalismur and 3 others like this.
  13. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

"i forgot i owned that game"

14. nyan_cyrax

nyan_cyrax Void-Bound Voyager

Having a pre disposition to have a dev join our conversation makes it sounds like were trying to catch an elusive pokemon or something, this isn't a boss battle its a forum where developers should openly communicate in good times and bad.

peacefrog555 and Dbr0wn like this.
  15. Tymon

Tymon Cosmic Narwhal

Reactions? I think the reaction might entirely depend on what is included in the update. Going by nightly, there's a lot of good new stuff, but there are some terrible changes that would ruin the game for some people too. Now if they fix those prior to the new patch? That's another story.

DrakeWymulf likes this.
  16. Galacticon

Galacticon Void-Bound Voyager

I dont think they're going to update the game until the 1 year anniversary. Even then if we're lucky. They'll release the second game they've been working on before they release a solid update for Starbound.

17. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I fun no, announcements are strange to the gaming populace.

Some get hype.

Some get unhype.

Some get hype without knowing what they're getting hype at.

Some get unhype because people are getting hyped.

Its a fickle place.

18. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

Not sure about that, the game seems amazing and looking at the roadmap, if all that is implemented.....the result will he hysterically awesome. Saying "thanks for delivering what I paid for" just seems empty and bland and devoid of feeling and appreciation.....it's like saying "thanks for doing what you were supposed to be doing anyway" which basically equates to "thanks for nothing". I don't think that's a fitting response to a game as good as this one.

19. Dbr0wn

Dbr0wn Space Spelunker

Its not like we're obligated to give them a pat on the back for doing what we paid them to do.

The simple exchange of currency for product should suffice.

Tymon likes this.
  20. Starbug

Starbug Guest

I don't think that is completely fair for an artistic endeavor such as a videogame. Positive feedback is soul-food to creative types, and so it should be!

It's not always about money; Money helps though :)