1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What are your favourite Sci-fi melee weapons?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Melissia

Melissia Ketchup Robot

Only if they're laser scythes.​

Katorone likes this.
  2. Katorone

Katorone Giant Laser Beams

Friggin scythes with friggin laser beams attached to their... err...

Electric0Eye likes this.
  3. Psion

Psion Zero Gravity Genie

I like this, and in addition to that it can be used to harvest the iron trees of Zomba VI, used in the manufacture of high-tier Florian armor.

4. Anris

Anris Phantasmal Quasar

A laser lance,that can pierce everything in front of you after a quick forward dash.And that when you stop knocks everything away.

5. CardBoardTruffle

CardBoardTruffle Space Hobo

Id like to use a spike shield(or a shield that damages the attacker) and a nice long spear

6. Worps

Worps Orbital Explorer

Bladed Tonfas[​IMG]

7. Worps

Worps Orbital Explorer

[​IMG]Or This because Ballistic Knives are fun.

Axe Garian likes this.
  8. Candide

Candide Subatomic Cosmonaut

Stabbity stab through the crabs!
    It's lots and lots of spears!
    Glaives! (Hooked blades on polearms)
    Spears! (Pointy sticks, you know!)
    Halberds! (Polearms with axe heads for long reach and cutting people or pulling them in)
    Whips! (Made of chains, on fire, electric, spiked)

How about a rifle that shoots a black cord with a metal point on the end meant for stabbing into targets, but when it hits, it starts electrocuting them?
    Grappling hooks!
    Tonfers!
    Gloves of various forms. Brass knuckles, ballistic combat gloves, obsidian gloves for punching fire based enemies. Etc.

Riot shields! Kiteshields! Square shields!

Plasma grenades!

Land mines!

9. Arretez

Arretez Spaceman Spiff

I have a question for you: how do ballistic combat gloves work? Does it shoot the glove? Does it shoot your fist? Does it shoot something out of the glove? I'm so confuzled! I need medical attention!

Darkone59 and Gravik like this.
  10. Candide

Candide Subatomic Cosmonaut

When you punch something, a metal plate on the knuckles is pressed down and triggers a shotgun on the wrist.

Axe Garian likes this.
  11. Redheat

Redheat Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I imagined something like blitzcrank's rocket grab

12. JRParadox

JRParadox Tentacle Wrangler

Gotta have some form of dual wielded molten hammer and sickle

blind sniper likes this.
  13. Man, it's... it's..:eek: Man.

Axe Garian likes this.
  14. MagicBaker

MagicBaker Void-Bound Voyager

What about a Bag 'O' hurt!? With different styles as in......

1. A bar of soap in a sock.

2. A sack of potatoes (or oranges).

3. A pillowcase full of Chinese medicine balls (to force meditation and peace on the target).

And to make it sci-fi

4. An energy based type of net full of small alien hedgehog like creatures that were caught and bred in captivity to fill said net.

Example of how to use.

Axe Garian likes this.
  15. GloomyAeon

GloomyAeon Orbital Explorer

[​IMG]

I definately vote for this

Shanjaisolen and Gravik like this.
  16. Katorone

Katorone Giant Laser Beams

Tribbles have been known to be used as a weapon. (Though I'm not sure if they're considered melee.)

Axe Garian likes this.
  17. Coulin

Coulin Void-Bound Voyager

I would like tomahawks.
    Preferably the laser kind.
    [​IMG]

Axe Garian likes this.
  18. 'K, I got excited a lot...
    Marx1.png Engels.png
    Backstory:
    According to the legend, these powerful weapons once belonged to the twin brothers-raiders, known as Jack the Reaper and John the Smith.
    Their names are Marx (sickle) and Engels (hammer).

NabuK, XRiZUX, Axe Garian and 2 others like this.
  19. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

* Chainsaw swords.
    * Forcefield-shaped weapons (translucent and bright).
    * Rocket-powered hammers and axes. Dual hand. The alternate fire consumes ammo to increase the speed of the swing, and also makes the character dash forward a litte.
    * Gravity hammers. Also dual hands. The alternate fire also increases damage, but instead a dash, falling speed is increased. When used in mid-air, getting away is harder, as the fall is much faster. It also increases fall damage, though.
    * Vibration blades.They look just that normal blades, but they 'buzz' when used.
    * Electrified whips that pull enemies. If nothing is in the other hand, they'll use both hands and the alternate fire grabs the enemy for a short time, while it's hold. You can't attack at the same time, though.
    * Clockwork scythes. They use both hands, and the alternate fire uses one of the gears as a shield.
    * Gun-swords that use both hands, one attacks in melee, the other shoots in range.
    ** A variant are gun-axes, that must be flipped to shoot them like a shotgun or a rifle.
    * Guitar axes. The alternate fire doesn't attack, but plays a song that may temporarily charm some creatures susceptible to that.
    * Mechanical chain-whip swords that also use both hands. The alternate fire extends the swords to act like a whip.

* Extending quarterstaves and spears that use both hands. Holding the second fire extends the weapon and that has different effects depending on situation:
    ** Mid swing of the weapon: The weapon extends while swung, increasing its reach.
    ** Mid jump: The weapon extends down, increasing jumping height.
    ** While falling: The weapon extends down. If close to the ground, it decreases the impact of the fall.
    ** While doing nothing: The weapon extends in the direction of targeting, pushing enemies away.

* Dual fist weapons of all sorts that can be equipped independently on each hand.
    ** Gun-powered knuckles that drop shells when you punch and may consume ammo.
    ** Technological armbraces with all sort of attached effects, like injecting poison, projecting fire or discharging electric shocks.
    ** Quatar-like weapons.
    ** Boxing glove-looking weapons.

* All sorts of mechanical, cyberpunk and sci-fi shields like forcefield shields or sonic repulsion shields.

Oh, and:
    * Anything made by a Klingon.
    * Heavy Metal: F.A.K.K.²'s entire armory.
    * Tron's melee weapons such as discs and batons.
    * Any melee weapon from the Megaman series.

Oh, and not light sabers. The concept is too silly. Their properties and behavior do not match the description of how they are made and how they work. They are basically "magic plasma swords".
    I was really glad when I saw the Vibroblades in the Star Wars games. Finally a proper weapon that wasn't 'magic'.
    Something could look exactly like one and be fine, though, as long as it's not called something silly and physically impossible like "light saber", "laser rapier" or "plasma sword".
    It'll be better if it was something made up that matches their properties and behavior, like "forcefield blade" or "force blade" something like that.

blind sniper likes this.
  20. Darkone59

Darkone59 Subatomic Cosmonaut

The Masamune, the sword that drinks the blood of whoever it slain

Its a evil sword, taking the user's blood(takes a certain amount of health) to draw and taking another's blood to sheathe(cant be removed from a hand until you kill something or something kills you).

Oh and since its more space tech, you could make it a plasma sword that uses the plasma in your blood to make itself!