1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What about terramorphing and deers, music?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by The Furreonist, Oct 19, 2014.

1. The Furreonist

The Furreonist Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm following this game since first arts on terrariaonline forums, and there was said we will be able to do some terramorphing, i was really excited about this. Is it going to be implemented, or just forgotten like many things that Chucklefish promised?
    And what about those?
    [​IMG]
    More pre-generated monster that actually looks cool(?). Almost all random monsters now looks like some weird, cartoon/stupid looking animal hybrids.

And the last question, why is music in game so boring and repetetive, while in soundtrack we can find a lot of varied and nice "experimental" music?

2. Gav Featherbeak

Gav Featherbeak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The game is still early on in development so lots of this may take a long time.

Serenity likes this.
  3. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

It has been said terraforming will be a thing. Development is going on so I guess just wait to see.

http://playstarbound.com/friday-update-npc-visual-dynamics/
    None of those are in the game. And that was all concept art/removed from the game, since there is no trace of them in the files. No further info on that.

Music is awesome. In my opinion, at least. Maybe they'll add the experimental tracks later? I hope so.

Serenity likes this.
  4. Vsuchinoko

Vsuchinoko Phantasmal Quasar

I definitely know how you feel. Although Starbound was meant to boast randomly generated monsters to give a sense of diversity and awe, it really just isn't there at all.

I think one reason why is because all mobs, no matter their different appearances and different homes/planets, is because of the A.I. interactions are so basic. Mobs never attack one another in a coherent way of meaningful context. (No predators and prey). Birds will fly, some aggressive some not. Land animals will walk about, some aggressive some not. And that is about it! The devs do have to look into making the A.I. interactions more interesting such as some monsters maybe will actually dig up the ground, some will climb up trees, some may actually terraform the environment, some have nests up in the trees, some have nests inside caves with baby offspring inside caves, etc. They need more LIFE to them!

And with the music, absolutely agree as-well. Everytime you come into a fight or encounter we hear the same track. For different situations i.e. encountering a wild animal we should hear a certain sound. Fighting an unhostile animal should have it's own music, being attacked by a hostile mob all of a sudden it's own track, attacking an Avian VS a Hylotl village VS an Apex village VS a human settlement should all have tracks that vary that reflect that faction and SITUATION.
    The music we hear just walking about planets is stale as-well as nothing truly changes unless you go onto a tentacle planet and the music on their begins to wear-off quick as-well. When in a cave, above land, or inside a building should ALL hold different type of ambient feeling tracks.

I never understood the point of constantly reminding this. I don't think OP ever meant to put anything in a negative light as "Why isn't this in the game yet?". This post is just a very neat mention made by The Furreonist.
    Just support him and say, yes, it would definitely be cool to see this! And maybe add an idea you also have or feeling you've had while playing to the discussion. Sometimes the devs DO have oversight on these things. Re-iterating they're working on (we know they're working on it) doesn't add much to the discussion. Thanks for the reminder though because SOMETIMES people do go out of hand BUT that has not happened yet so I wouldn't worry about re-iterating the same thing.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
    Yzzey likes this.
  5. Mazey

Mazey Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I sadly have to agree on this one. The art of this game is fine and all, pretty good actually, but really a lot of mobs just look terribly cartoonish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The MechE, Serenity, Archer and 2 others like this.
  6. I don't remember anything about Terramorphing being mentioned by the devs (I would like a source for future reference)

I do remember Terraforming to eventually be a thing.

Serenity likes this.
  7. Splift

Splift Zero Gravity Genie

I think monster gen actually needs some sort of structure. For example, every planet with life on it needs a food chain. Big/small predators (carnivores, hostile usually) and big/small prey (herbivores, peaceful usually) and perhaps various types of vermin and bugs. When a world is generated it could fill each/most categories and each category would pick from various monster parts that fit under that type. The way things currently are its common for gentle, cute looking bunny like creatures to be savage and hostile, while scary looking spider things with skull faces and glowing eyes are peaceful unless provoked. Its neat for creatures to sometimes have misleading looks, but imo would be better if there was some sense put into it and atm you cannot judge a book by its cover.

Also more monster behavior would be nice. not just attack you or ignore you, maybe sometimes they could avoid you or stalk you etc.

The MechE and Vsuchinoko like this.
  8. Vsuchinoko

Vsuchinoko Phantasmal Quasar

That is very true, hahaha. I just think he was just hoping there could be a much more immersive and streamlined way to change the world/planet's appearance. Like have an item that you place down that actually changes the background environment along with the trees and dirt under your feet. Would be cool if there was a device that did that instead of you doing it yourself because it adds in the immersion of actually be a planetary explorer/settler with the more high-tech aesthetic Starbound has.

So yeah, you can terraform the dirt and trees already, but the background right now you can't effect. Would be neat if planets changed their background aesthetic as you traveled along. Can't really believe an entire planet has the same pattern throughout.

I can imagine a modder attempting something like this.

9. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Though I agree that music could use some variety, I don't think everything needs its own theme. Avians vs Humans, Avians vs Apex, Avians vs Hylotl... Imagine that with all races, and even with all situations. The amount of music needed is just too much to have. Even if all of them are 1 minute, the amount you describe is huge. And with such short pieces of music it gets repetitive in long run. Unreasonable.

I agree, it would be cool and all, but I can't see it happening. It would add variety, but in reality, would the effort match the result?

I feel the Experimental OST's way sounds the best, with all biome specific music. 1-3 exploration themes for Desert/Crystal/Lava/Ocean/Arctic/etc. biomes, and all battle themes. That's why I hope they'll go with the Experimental tracks.

Myself I have not yet gotten bored with the music. I even occasionally listen the OST while not playing. Still much epic, such beauty, very Starbound, wow.

http://playstarbound.com/the-future-of-starbound/

Not referred as terramorphing though.

10. That's Terraforming. I'm assuming the OP meant to say Terraforming and said Terramorphing instead. I had to be sure it wasn't referring to 2 separate things.

Terraforming will indeed be in. Eventually. I'm not sure if it will be in by release though, sounds like one of those features you could expect post-release.

Serenity likes this.
  11. The Furreonist

The Furreonist Pangalactic Porcupine

I think making fun of typo is not something that moderators should take care of.

12. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Wait what's the difference between terramorphing and terraforming? I'm so lost.

13. I wasn't making fun of the typo.
    Nothing -- Terraforming is just the correct term. When the op mentioned Terramophing though, I thought they were referencing another feature that was different than Terraforming -- so I wanted some clarity. Which then revealed the typo. NBD.

Serenity and Zebe like this.
  14. OldNESJunkie

OldNESJunkie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember the devs saying somewhere that the randomness features for both weapons & monster gen would be limited in beta because they want to keep SOME stuff for the final release....

Darklight likes this.
  15. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

That would be correct yes

Serenity likes this.
  16. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

Also sad we will never get that cool drop ship, also will those character like the female mechanic, lab lady, cowboy mask guy, and armor guy actually be in the game or are they just pixel concept art.

17. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

I could see them showing up as an easter egg at least

Serenity likes this.
  18. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

I tried finding those image in the news section can't find them, only places I can find them is other sites that covered starbounds kickstarter.

19. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

One thing I am not fond of is the randomization is a bit too excessive.

Monster Randomization should have been more constrained just like character generation.
    You don't put a hyotyl head on a apex body with glitch legs when you create a character.

Why should monsters be so different?
    Some stronger restrictions to the monster code could really add life to the game.
    So you can see deers with the only difference beeing randomized horns.

Then use those same horns on bipedal walking monsters.
    So you maintain random monster generation albeit more restrictively.

====
    We really could do with some more pre-fab monsters. Terreria may not have had random monster generation but each monster felt unique and I didn't mind facing them over and over again. Instead in starbound it just feels like I am facing 1000 monsters which are all the same with a different coat of paint.

The MechE and n1t3n like this.
  20. n1t3n

n1t3n Big Damn Hero

Necroing this : Deers as critters. Please.