1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Pixel Weekly Pixel-Off

Discussion in 'Art' started by pigrocket, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KazeSkyfox

KazeSkyfox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have no idea what to do for this week, you guys pick something appropriate since it seems like a big deal.

pigrocket likes this.
  2. Connorses

Connorses Big Damn Hero

I'd like to participate since this looks really fun.

I've seen people do collab pictures, and it's tricky, but it can be done. You would probably need a scene broken up into equal size squares, where each person claims one square and is allowed x amount of time to fill it in (after which they have to offer proof that they're still working on it or else their spot can be claimed). In fact, it's enough of an ordeal to warrant starting a whole new thread with the explanation in the OP. I'm thinking about running one myself, if people are interested.
    Here's a good example of a WIP from deviantArt (except it wasn't finished):
    http://carbon-12.deviantart.com/art/Isometric-Grid-Collaboration-52669128

As for the weekly theme, why not ask people to submit things related to this thread's anniversary?

Also I love muxaun's animated cube penguin, it's so cool. :D

pigrocket likes this.
  3. muxaun

muxaun Subatomic Cosmonaut

I am voting against a collab. (if it matters)
    It could work if we had a constant number of pieces each week. But there are simply not enough artists here. Even on PJ collabs are taking hell of a lot of time to finish.

4. Connorses

Connorses Big Damn Hero

I totally agree. I'd suggest a Chinese New Years theme if it hadn't passed already.
    You guys said you wanted to do something special for the anniversary of this contest, right? Why not make the anniversary the theme?

5. KazeSkyfox

KazeSkyfox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Dunno how to make a theme out of that, it's pretty vague. What was the first contest that was ever done? Could put a spin on that.

So do I, he'd probably have won if he submitted it earlier.

6. It looks to me like he did win. His entry has 10 points and yours has 9.

7. Connorses

Connorses Big Damn Hero

Are y'all gonna pick a theme then??

8. Your Favourite things!
    What's your most favouritest thing ever? Make a pixel art of it!
    EDIT: That's my suggestion, anyway.

pigrocket and WoxandWarf like this.
  9. It looks like we've got some ideas going for anniversary week.

I don't see any problems with the collab idea. People wouldn't necessarily need to be assigned a square--it could be an ongoing project displayed at the bottom of the OP. Some rules I just came up with:
    • An array of blank tiles is displayed with coordinates
    • You can claim as many tiles as you want
    • You can not claim a tile adjacent to any of your other tiles
    The shape of the tiles doesn't need to be square. It might be interesting to see what people do with diamond or hexagonal tiles. Aso, they'd probably all have to be a specific resolution, scaled up by 3 pixels. This would all remain as a sort of side-attraction to the thread.

This kind of challenge wouldn't necessarily have a winner. So we'd still need some sort of theme to kick off next week.
    The first time we did this, the challenge was to make title art for the thread, since it needed good title art. Maybe we could do something else along those lines?
    Or we could start with Shooshy's suggestion.

Seajun_ likes this.
  10. Maybe we could just have a competition for new title art?
    It could be a yearly tradition to replace the old headers with new ones, maybe even to match the events of the coming year (e.g. winter olympic theme for this year).

pigrocket, muxaun, Connorses and 3 others like this.
  11. Connorses

Connorses Big Damn Hero

I support this idea. We can make some sweet new winter-y titles.

12. This sounds like a plan.

EDIT: I put this in the OP.

Finn Learson, UnsoundM and AstroBlast like this.
  13. UnsoundM

UnsoundM Subatomic Cosmonaut

First time entering :D fingers crossed. I called it 'Corrupt File'
    I sort of wanted to factor it into the game's current state, where it has just recently been publicly released so right now they are working a lot on both fixing bugs and updating things, and this is sort of a little nod to how sometimes updating something (such as the Title in this case) can result in very strange little bugs nobody saw coming.

ENTRY
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  14. B|eak

B|eak Void-Bound Voyager

URG: it keeps unfollowing me from this thread! I have to make something for this! ^_^

15. Lord Octopus

Lord Octopus Starship Captain

Entry:
    [​IMG]
    I didn't think I would submit one this week, but rainbow pixels. I love it even though I am sure it wont win.

Oh a pixel was wrong, and fixed.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  16. MaxThePizza

MaxThePizza Star Wrangler

ENTRY!:
    [​IMG]

This is my first time entering! I hope you like! It took a lot of work but .. Pixel love!

also i made a gif , but its horrible xD

[​IMG]

17. B|eak

B|eak Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah the Gif isn't the best; but I REALLY like the pixel art :D

18. MaxThePizza

thank you so much! its actually my third pixel artwork ever :'D i know im not going to win but , as i said , PIXEL LOVE :D thanks! have a niceday Orbital Explorer

19. B|eak

B|eak Void-Bound Voyager

Haha thank you Poptop Tamer!

20. MaxThePizza

but but i was an Intergalactic Tourist :c whats a poptop tamer (im spanish)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.