1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Pixel Weekly Pixel-Off

Discussion in 'Art' started by pigrocket, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thanks for postng it here, too. I was slow to put the theme in the OP cause I'm having computer troubles.

Lord Octopus likes this.
  2. Lord Octopus

Lord Octopus Starship Captain

This is my Entry: Come home Fred!
    [​IMG]
    Blaster Master for the NES was one of the first video games I ever played. The music was awesome, you got to play as a jumping tank (later flying, wall/ceiling climbing and swimming). Places where the keys and boss battles were located were too small for Sophia (the tank) so you took control of Jason and ventured into the caves on foot.

The game is infamous for the American version's intro. Jason's pet frog, Fred, escapes his cage and jumps on a radioactive waste box that they were keeping in there back yard for reasons. Radioactive stuff causes amazing mutations, not cancerous at all, thus causing Fred the frog grow to a gigantic size! His new found weight breaks the ground and he falls into the underground. Jason, chasing his pet frog, falls in after and finds a super advanced battle tank, suits up and starts chasing that frog down.
    I didn't have anything in mind when I picked the topic but this is what I find nostalgic.

3. New theme in the OP!
    Next week marks the 1 year anniversary of Weekly Pixel Off. Whoever wins this week gets to decide what that means in terms of the thread and stuff.
    What do you guys think we should do for the anniversary?

4. We should probably find a way to attract more people, and make people already here less lazy.

5. That sounds like work.

6. I know, right? *leaves for another month*

Seajun_, Finn Learson and WoxandWarf like this.
  7. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

The problem with me is I'm not lazy (usually), I'm just too busy with school sadly...

pigrocket likes this.
  8. Exoblader

Exoblader Void-Bound Voyager

Hi I noticed the whole lazy thing and I thought I'd drop in one of my recent works, I know its not themed but I'm planning to work on something for your theme.

[​IMG]

9. -JN-

-JN- Subatomic Cosmonaut

Fat blasian men are always adorable.
    Entry
    [​IMG]

Lord Octopus likes this.
  10. I liked the trading card thing

Maybe we could do a pixel quilt or something? Maybe something wallpaper sized and have people sign up to take blocks of the wall paper. Theme could be starbound, or idk, something commemorative lol. That's my two cents.

11. KazeSkyfox

KazeSkyfox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

ENTRY:
    [​IMG]

The theme seemed perfect for it.

12. -JN-

-JN- Subatomic Cosmonaut

That'd be fantastic if everyone would do it.

13. yeah, maybe not so much a competition but just a friendly collaboration stitched together by the starbound community, amateur and expert alike. @pigrocket could make it sound much more poetic. ;)

14. Bughunter

Bughunter Spaceman Spiff

Might as well enter with my EXTREME AMATEUR PIXEL ART ART ART art

Anyways, here we go.
    Cutekittehforcontest.png

15. O, fabric of fabrication. The quilted dynasty portrays square upon square of pixelated conjunction.
    Not a bad idea at all. :^)

16. Lord Octopus

I struggled on this topic; arguing over everything from kittens to pig in a tea cup. I finally decided and got my ENTRY: completed.

[​IMG]
    I give you, little dragon roasting a marshmallow.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  17. KazeSkyfox

KazeSkyfox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That might be fun but as a pessimist, I can see people fighting over two or three designs for a single card...

I'd still participate though, but I doubt any of our submissions would be recognized as official. :V

18. Well, the idea is that this week's winner will decide what we're doing next week. And you're in the lead, so it could be entirely up to you!

19. Lord Octopus

I am glad it looks like I am not in the lead this week, I have no idea what I would do to celebrate or commemorate the 1 year anniversary. I guess the main issue that we have with the thread is lack of entries (it feels bad to win if there are no other entries).
    I would think the main reasons why people don't post more pixel art is because they feel uncomfortable about the skill level differences becoming discouraged or the time restraints versus other obligations.

For the skill level and discouragement issue I feel it falls on the community. I think we, as a community, should help each other out by posting comments that are constructive and helpful for developing artists. Even working with the beginner pixel art thread to encourage others to post in the contest. Once the winner is announced it should be customary to like the other entries (hmm I am going to go do that).

I often struggle with trying to get something in. I think it is a balancing act of quality and timing. The sooner I post is in the forum the more likely people are to see it, but that means less time spent on the art.
    If there was a way to see what topics are coming up I could plan ahead and get more quality art out. I think that may help the number of submissions by creating a time buffer for people that want to post but might have less time.

To do this the reward structure would need to change a little so more topics would be queued up.
    (kind of feels like a chore to pick a topic from nothing. Maybe picking from a list created by the community would be easier)

I guess that is what I would like to see happen for the upcoming year.

Finn Learson, blitZee and AstroBlast like this.
  20. muxaun

muxaun Subatomic Cosmonaut

so many good entries.
    I guess I am too late.
    nevertheless here's my ENTRY:
    3 colors
    UPDATE: (finished it).
    peng3.gif
    peng2.gif [/spolier]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.