1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Weak Guns vs. Strong Melee

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Rasmenar, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Countering projectiles as a melee? Maybe against pistols, sniper rifles if your good, but what about the pulse rifle? Also, what about combat vs NPCs?

2. Terrahero

Terrahero Cosmic Narwhal

I havent played in months, i dont know if guns are much better now. But last i played i never bother with guns, the damage was abysmal. It took much longer to kill enemies then with a melee weapon (which could often get the job done in 2 swings), and id lose function of my tech.
    And i actually found i was taking more damage overall when i used guns. Kiting mobs back with a gun, only to kite them straight into more mobs, then not having the tech to dash out of the way, has gotten me killed much more often then a straight up melee brawl.

3. Rasmenar

Rasmenar Void-Bound Voyager

Nobody ever mentioned floating around forever using guns, that is completely ridiculous. Melee can't float around forever either. Once you reach tier 10 armor, you can use techs for a pretty decent bit, but it's nowhere near "forever" - and up at that tier, the energy use of Guns goes up as well, so you still aren't able to really use techs at all. They mentioned simply that it'd be nice if you were able to use techs AND guns together, because currently guns use far too much energy to be able to feasibly use techs alongside them. Which I think would be a reasonable balance for guns.

4. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

makeing ranged weapons stronger then melee weapons is like the worse thing you can do in a game

imagen a game like say..... darksouls where your bow could 1shot people but the sword would take around 3-4 hits

why would you EVER use melee if guns did more damage and could hit far away

besides guns in the nightlys are more balanced

Untrustedlife likes this.
  5. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Ok when does energy regenerate, when you are not using it. correct?

Now unless they fixed it in the nightly, tapping boost allows a person to maintain a constant altitude. Already the usage of boost techs along with guns presents an issue with range. At what point is the ranged player able to become untouchable?

Because at that point, all the countering in the world won't save any melee except for projectile weaponry, where gun clearly are more diverse.

6. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

in the nightlys you have double the energey pool so you dont tend to run out so often/ get more shots on your gun

7. Rasmenar

Rasmenar Void-Bound Voyager

I'd say this is a pretty good fix.

8. Dr scoobie

Dr scoobie Giant Laser Beams

I use guns when at a range, then switch to melee when my energy runs out.
    So making ranged weapons more powerful than melee, would make combat a tad bit too easy for me.
    Although guns are a bit weak at the moment, so making them a bit more powerful would be nice.

Guns are too weak to be used by themselves at the moment, in my opinion.
    Perhaps
    making it easier to avoid attacks at close range,
    so that you aren't constantly running away while shooting would be a better option.

9. LadenSwallow

LadenSwallow Void-Bound Voyager

Wiring tool + door + sensors (e.g. floor plate) + 'exploding' gun (sticky plasma is my favourite for this) = invulnerable 1 way damage against AI.
    Now if only the 'sensor' could be a light sensor that worked off of plasma bolts (they don't appear to at the moment in stable) and I could make a 'bunker' that allows shots out and not in, especially with the diagonal doors coming into play with the moon base!

10. Untrustedlife

Untrustedlife Scruffy Nerf-Herder

hmmm a sort of rpg mechanic? That is an interesting solution.