1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Water and motion sensors

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Albussystems, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Albussystems

Albussystems Pangalactic Porcupine

So after extensive testing it seems nearly impossible to build a "viable" structure on an ocean planet working with water.
    The Problem seems to be the same as the one wiring had in enraged Koala - the Range!
    Water seems to be updated or calculated only as soon as you come close, making water constructs very hard to work.

A second, huge problem i had, was using the motion sensors.
    They work fine all together, but as soon as there is more wiring close to them, the timer starts going crazy.
    I had a motion sensor stay "on" for 8 seconds once... The normal timer is 1-3 seconds, right?

So it would be really awesome if you could take a look into that and all of you reading this, give a comment if you have similar issues.

Please no comments, not connected to the headline!

Thank you already,
    Al

2. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Could you clarify what your trying to build?

"impossible to build a "viable" structure on an ocean planet working with water." dosent realy say much.

3. Esahc_

Esahc_ Cosmic Narwhal

I managed to make an underwater base on an ocean planet with a draining system and everything. I'm not exactly sure what problem you're having. Is it a problem with the motion sensors not noticing you or noticing you for too long?

4. Albussystems

@Garatgh Deloi yeah i guess you are right. I'll make a video and post the link so you can see what i mean.
    @Esahc_ A base and structures under water work fine you'll see what i mean in the video^^

Esahc_ likes this.
  5. Albussystems

Ok so here goes...
    Please no judgement for my misspells^^
    Everything still under Construction and a lot experimental versions of every floodgate and elevator.

You can also see some signs i made, not connected, but you can imagine how the elevator could look and show you what is happening.
    I forgot to show the wiring of 1 Floodgate i said i show in the video,... sorry next time :)
    So enough for now, please take a look and let me know if you see my understand.

As i say in the video, the Motion-sensor is not the "real" problem, just a nuisance, same as the timers for the Sinks and\or spouts to ride the elevators, they receive a huge slowdown as soon as there is happening too much.
    Have fun watching :)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    TrueEdge, Garatgh Deloi and Akre like this.
  6. Esahc_

Esahc_ Cosmic Narwhal

First off, I gotta say, I love the design of your base, it's fantastic.

For the problems having to do with water could possible just have to do with current bugs. I can't really think of any other reason for those since you said that you removed the ocean tiles that infinitely spawn water. With the one elevator infinitely spawning water until you move your camera must just be an issue with how the game updates off screen tiles.

The motion sensors staying on too long seems to just be because there is so much going on. I had a similar issue a while back on my older computer. Perhaps the game is having a hard time updating since you have LOTS of wiring going on?

Sadly, I can't think of any solutions to the problems you're having. Maybe someone with more experience will see the problems you're having and can possibly provide a fix. Sorry! :confused:

7. Albussystems

@Esahc_ Hehey no worries, thx for taking the time :)

I really hope structures this this will be possible in the next version :D

And thx again, i'm happy you like it!

8. Necrovore

Necrovore Pangalactic Porcupine

Wow, incredible setup. I really hope the liquid engine is fixed up to let this thing work the way you want it to,

Albussystems likes this.
  9. braydon

braydon Phantasmal Quasar

Are you sure you weren't lagging? Say from a large amount of water moving at once?

10. Albussystems

@braydon well in the video it was laggy, but when i usually play i am not recording :)

So the game runs smoothly on the 64x opengl.
    It has been like this in enraged Koala too, when building huge structures the engine became laggy and it is the same thing here.
    As i say in the video, the Motion sensors aren't "the" problem - i actually wrote this here too^^

Last i want to say that i experimented with water a lot, thx to necrovores mod, and even huuge amounts of water didn't slow the game that much.