1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Was the Starbound in Pre-Alpha comment for real?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Bacon, Aug 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pythonxz

pythonxz Industrial Terraformer

Well, if they are going to make a beta release for us to play, I wouldn't think they'd wait till they have all 10 tiers completed...that would probably take far longer than the quoted, "In 2013." If anyone remembers, Tiy did say that when the game has all the features at about 80-90% they would release a beta. I'm not sure that it has to be ALL of the features, but it would be in their best interest to make sure there are as many features as possible, so we can test the mechanics and find possible logcial errors/bugs. The general public is always better at finding problems with mechanics and finding non-game-breaking bugs.

2. TheLoanArranger

TheLoanArranger Ketchup Robot

That's part of the location's name.

Alpha sector, beta system/'Beta TrA' system maybe. Majoris for the planet, 2 for the 'second moon' of said planet.

Affero likes this.
  3. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

I guess I would be disappointed, too, but not to the point of getting a refund.

Middleman93 and Inco like this.
  4. There is really a lot. Bosses they confirmed there is scripted (as the penguim we saw) and randomly that are some more simple mini-bosses you find while exploring. The Guns also are... The armor is that looks madness, armor is already a set of several parts.

I guess it's one healthy balance with both things so we can still have really unique stuff (more complex) that is scripted.

5. Inco

Inco Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'd be disappointed but I absolutely wouldn't go after a refund. I can be emotional, but not stupid. :)

6. Shippo

Shippo Existential Complex

What can you do? I wanna play this game soooooo much! But... if it needs time, then it needs time. We have no choice but to wait. o_O
    I wouldn't be too worried about the difference between pre-alpha, alpha, beta, etc. It doesn't change how much is already done. Maybe we have an extra month or two more to wait.... oh well. Disappointing, but not a huge deal.
    Hopefully the Terraria update won't be delayed. It'd be something great to play while waiting. It's supposed to be out before October.

Startopia likes this.
  7. Glenday

Glenday Space Spelunker

I hope it's in Pre-Beta, I wanna play this game soon! ;)

8. AlphaMongoose

AlphaMongoose Ketchup Robot

Guys, the lingo doesn't really matter. The beta will be released in 2013.

9. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

Pre-alpha = a tech demo. We're not in pre alpha. We are currently text book alpha, we're completing features and focusing more on feature additions than bugs. After alpha comes beta, when we'll fix all the bugs. You'll get to play the beta. Once all the bugs are fixed you get release :)

So the game is in alpha. I think Bartwe said pre alpha out of fear for a crash (crashes are alpha, but it seems less embarrassing if you say pre alpha) and when we hit beta you get in on it

tassina, kelko585, pigrocket and 35 others like this.
  10. Dynamicus

Dynamicus Space Penguin Leader

Good to know that. Take your time, although many will be disappointed if it will hit 2014 before a beta release.

11. Seathless

Seathless Subatomic Cosmonaut

Honestly, this is actually alarming.
    They constantly allude the fact they're making great progress and yet are still on stuck on PRE-Alpha? This makes zero sense. It doesn't add up.

Edit. Nevermind, it was sort of cleared up by Tiys post, even then I'm not too happy. There seems to be very little confidence on how the game is shaping. (go ahead, jump down my throat about how there was pressure and nervousness being live and all)

T-Bone Biggins likes this.
  12. ZanVaelius

ZanVaelius Existential Complex

Check Tiy's post slightly above man :p

13. FrozenFlame

FrozenFlame Giant Laser Beams

Well, if the gameplay I saw was just an Alpha, that's amazing.

I dunno, I'm probably just overhyping myself, but DARN, I'd love to play that game in it's current state and report any bugs I see (without being an irritating twit)

Donseluke and ZanVaelius like this.
  14. ZanVaelius

ZanVaelius Existential Complex

Thing is as Tiy has just said they are not focusing on bugs for the time being :rofl:

15. Jynx

Jynx Big Damn Hero

*ESTIMATED* RELEASE DATE 2013

Aka don't expect anything this year. They could even change their thought in the beta being this year. They've made no official announcement that we'll get a beta this year. Don't get your hopes up over a off hand comment of maybe. Just find something else to get into and maybe a year or two from now you'll get a beta key in your email.

ZanVaelius likes this.
  16. Nohar

Nohar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thank you for clearing up that confusion.

Serenity likes this.
  17. Calris

Calris Existential Complex

Language I heard from the Q&A was that CF are still committed to releasing the beta this year. They won't commit to an actual release date, which probably means early next year.

ZanVaelius likes this.
  18. Jynx

Jynx Big Damn Hero

They committedly said they'd release it in 2012 too. Without any official posted announcement stating "BETA WILL RELEASE 2013" you need to stop missinforming and getting peoples hopes up. People read these things and buy the game thinking you are quoting some official announcement. Then they come whining and complaining on forums when they realize it was a hopeful goal of the devs.

19. Nohar

Nohar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

*ahem*

Source

ZanVaelius likes this.
  20. Jynx

Jynx Big Damn Hero

Lol good luck with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.