Modding Help Warmth projetile

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Enel, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Enel

Enel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

How do i do, and projetible with warmth status effect for allies

for example: a bubble gun, but with warmth around the projetible

2. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

You will need to create a custom projectile. This mod can be done fairly simply by basing your new projectile off of something like the healingstatusprojectile and replacing the healing status effect with something like this:

Code:
    "statusEffects" : [
        {
          "kind" : "Warmth",
          "amount" : 70,
          "range" : 8
        }
      ],
    If you need more info on how to create a custom projectile, I'm sure there are some tutorials floating around here somewhere. It's really not too hard. Basically create a duplicate of any existing projectile folder, change all the names to reflect your new projectile name, make any other desired changes, and plop it in the mod folder.

3. Enel

Enel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I know how create the projectile, the problem is this status effect, I will try copying the healingstatusprojectile atributtes xD

edit: still not working :(

{
    "projectileName" : "namibubble",
    "frames" : "namibubble.png",
    "physics" : "friendlybubble",
    "animationCycle" : 2,
    "level" : 3,
    "damageKindImage" : "icon.png",
    "frameNumber" : 1,
    "power" : 0,
    "speed" : 25,
    "timeToLive" : 5,
    "universalDamage" : true,
    "bounces" : 4,
    "statusEffects" : [
    {
    "kind" : "Warmth",
    "amount" : 100,
    "range" : 8
    }
    ],
    "lightPosition" : [0, 0],
    "lightColor" : [255, 255, 255],
    "piercing" : true,
    "damagePoly" : [ [-36, 0], [-24, -24], [0, -36], [24, -24], [36, 0], [24, 24], [0, 36], [-24, 24] ],
    "damageKind" : "default"
    }

4. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

What's the problem? Is the game crashing? Is the projectile not appearing? Does the status effect just not do anything? Check your starbound.log and that should help you narrow down what the issue might be.

5. Enel

Enel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

no crash, the projetile is appearing...

but there is no warmth, iam still freezing with a lot of projetibles around xD

is needed any attribute in the .gun file?
    something like friendly projetile, maybe is because that.

i tried the exactly healingprojetible and it doesnt heal too, maybe the problem is in the .gun file
    do u know any assets that actually work? I can check and copy that

6. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

I don't think there is any way yet to have your own projectiles affect you. The best way to test the projectile (that I can think of) is to assign that projectile to a monster and then spawn that monster and see what happens. Unless you have a buddy that is willing to install your mod and hop into multiplayer with you.

7. Enel

Enel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

hmmm, ok then :(

i was doing a heat bubble, that can warm myself.

8. The Observer

The Observer Phantasmal Quasar

Create a sword that has an effect initiator, then have that initiator effect set a status on you.

9. I believe the projectiles only apply a status effect when it hits the target. You are not seeing these effects because you are unable to damage yourself. If you had another player to test, you would likely see the results you intended.

10. AstralGhost

AstralGhost Pangalactic Porcupine

On the topic of 'damaging yourself':
    If you look at the new nitroglycerin status effect, the way the Devs applied this was by spawning a bomb on the player at 0 distance with a '0 timer' delay for explosion, meaning it explodes instantly and you never actually see the bomb.
    I believe this could easily be applied along with a custom made bomb into providing any sort of effect, including warmth.

The way this could work here is simply spawning a custom 'warmth bomb' when the projectile hits something, similar to how the new thorn-grenade throwables spawn thorns on-hit.

The right combination of effects that are already in the game's code and I believe this is do-able how the TC wants. Of course, obviously only in the nightly version.

... Wouldn't this work? Anyone want to test it out? :p

11. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

@AstralGhost can bombs/grenades damage the thrower in stable? If they can, just apply the warmth effect to a short-range grenade.

12. AstralGhost

AstralGhost Pangalactic Porcupine

@Peelz, I don't really understand your point because you still need a method to spawn the bombs, which is only available in the nightly build.
    If you're just wanting a warmth-item you could probably just give bandages warmth or copy the code for the bandage item and create a new one with warmth instead of healing.
    And in any case, I didn't even realize the problem with my suggestion: The projectile still only creates the effect on-hit. So they won't spawn the grenade unless they hit something, I believe. Same problem as before.

Though, don't some bombs/projectiles explode when they hit the ground? This should still create the warmth effect in that area if they do. You shouldn't even need much code to do that.

I don't know. I'm just throwing things out there now. I need to look more into projectiles and status effects, myself. I'm still trying to figure them out.

13. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

The bomb would just be a throwable object. But I guess having finite ammunition would be more of a hassle than the OP was looking for.