1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Vector Squared -- Starbound Community News, Issue #18

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by nababoo, Mar 11, 2013.

1. [​IMG]

Hello, and welcome to the eighteenth issue of Vector Squared! Last week, we showed off the forum’s birthday (plus celebration), a Mech contest, Avian lore, and a call for some comic art in Vector Squared. So, we respond to that with a tour of a spiffy spaceship, a screenshot, plastic ores, and a response from a community member regarding the comics.

Get ready to dine while reading the next issue of Vector Squared; it’s all fun and games.

Table of Contents
    Star-Cribz: Level 3 Human Spaceship
    Starbound developer and forum administrator mollygos has recently created a very amusing thread where us, common Star peasants, get a guided tour of a level 3 human spacecraft!

The tour itself is presented in the form of a quite interesting and entertaining gif. Each image (seven total) displays a different section of the ship with a mollygos sprite explaining what’s what, all sparkled with a hint of humour. We get to see nice props, such as comical posters, as well as different areas, ranging from the cockpit where Tiy sets up orbital bombardments to the toilet room where those bombardments are unleashed on bad taco day.

If you’d like to see the album containing the whole thing, it’s just one click away. This has also been advertised through Starbound’s Facebook page, which you may find right here.

Thanks for taking the time to prepare and share this with us, Chucklefish. Keep up the good work!

By: Keeper

Starbound Screenshot by Tiy
    His Eminence, Lord Tiy of Tiyland, has shared a quite interesting picture through his Twitter account earlier this week:

[​IMG]

That’s a pretty image to look at, with interesting textures and colour choices . More curious, however, are two things worthy of extra attention, namely:

- The armour set being worn by the Human.
    [​IMG]

- The skull and crossbones above the thorns.
    [​IMG]

In regards to the armour set, while there was some initial debate among forum users whether it was Hylotl or Floran equipment, it has been confirmed by mollygos that it is tier 2 Hylotl armour. This confirms the Japanese-inspired culture that our aquatic friends will adopt, as it is demonstrated by the Samurai-looking armour in the picture above素晴らしい!

To join the discussion regarding the tier 2 Hylotl piece of armour (or the image overall), head to this topic right here, authored by forum user Star and Moon.

In reference to the skull and crossbones, there has also been some debate regarding what that symbol actually stands for. The option that it could be the remainder of a death animation of a previously killed creature has been considered. However, it is believed that the most likely possibility that justifies the appearance of the skull is the fact that the brambles right below it might be poisonous. Forum user Soup confirms this second option (source), stating that he has seen a recent video stream by Bartwe where the same symbol is emitted from other vines similar to those above.

To join the debate about the skull and crossbones, check out this thread instead by forum user AstroBlast.

By: Keeper

[​IMG]
    Artist blind sniper has presented the most interesting of suggestions. It starts off by presenting the history of plastic ore -- how civilizations fell, and left behind advanced material-technology, in the form of this strange and new ore.

It’s well-thought out and well-decorated with the ore’s purposes, extraction, and history (so you can be reminded of the morbid deaths of previous civilizations), along with having a set of easter eggs and thought-provoking uses. As small as it is, it’s compact and well-written -- and it has a large amount of potential, too. Don’t be afraid to drop by and contribute what you can to this thread.

~Nababoo

[​IMG]
    This week, we’re showing off not artwork, but a thread, created specifically for artwork (wait a minute...). After the explosion of creativity following the weekly Friday Monster, forum members started to create artwork, expressly for showing off how much they revile/admire this week’s strange bugaboo. As of this publishing, there have been

R3MI has created a thread where forum members can show off their artistic skills/interpretations of the week’s monster. It’s an interesting feat, and I’m sure everyone here is awaiting to see more interesting pictures that will arise out of Starbound’s creative vein. Well, anyways, as they say, a picture tells a thousand words, here’re a couple interesting pictures.
    [​IMG]
    Original

[​IMG]
    Lazor Llama

[​IMG]
    Suika Ibuki

Well, you can certainly see the similarities and differences :p

~Nababoo

Science Trivia
    Blowing up the Moon

During the 1950’s when the Cold War was getting started, the United States had some pretty crazy ideas to show up the Soviet Union. First, for those lacking in knowledge on the Cold War, though I’m pretty sure there are few of those, a short summation of what it was. As much as Call of Duty: Black Ops would have us think otherwise, there was no actual fighting during the Cold War. The Cold War instead consisted of the USA and USSR continually threatening each other with increasingly more powerful nuclear weapons. The “war” ended in the 1990’s with the fall of the Soviet Regime.

In the 1950’s the US government actually had a secret project working on detonating an atom bomb on the moon. They chose an atom bomb because at the time it was predicted that a hydrogen bomb would be too heavy for a rocket to carry out of the atmosphere. The explosion from a nuclear weapon is easily visible on the surface of the moon, which was the most important part of the plan. The idea was to intimidate the Soviets by detonating the nuke while the moon was visible to them; this was to be a sort of intimidation tactic.

The plan itself was actually completely possible, and it would have been possible to carry out the plan in 1959. But, the whole project was scrapped fairly quickly, because there was an incredibly high risk to the people on Earth. If there were to be some kind of malfunction or failure on the rocket, the warhead could have ended up hurtling back down to the planet. And with so many variables affecting the possible flight paths, there was no way to predict or control where the failed rocket would land. It was very possible for the rocket to land in a major city anywhere on the Earth. At the speeds the rocket could be traveling, the impact would have set off the nuke right then and there, and then the Cold War might have actually escalated into a World War 3.

Fun Fact: This was one of Carl Sagan’s first jobs out of college.

Questions, comments, concerns? Post them and I’ll answer them. And if you have any suggestions or ideas for future topics feel free to post those as well.

~Active Link

Weekly Comic
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Q: If you were an interior designer for Starbound, which section of a starship would you spend the most time decorating/obsessing over?
    A: Post in the thread. Perhaps we got some furniture-minded folk around here :)

Closing Comments
    • Welcome our new comic artist! ReverseShadow has decided to lend his abilities to the newspaper. Lotsa fun little arts to add to our collection.
    • Also, we’re a bit short on news this week. It was due to a rather... quiet lull in notable activity; but don’t worry, we’ll probably be more than busy next week.
    Staff
    Nababoo -- Manager/Writer
    Keeper -- Wordsmith
    Strife -- ???
    Active Link -- Scientific Consultant
    Slaticus -- Author from the Shadows
    WackyWocky -- Space Artist
    ReverseShadow -- Comic L0lcats

Credits
    blind sniper -- Banner
    Lazor Llama -- Monster Image
    Suika Ibuki -- Monster Image

Previous Issues:
    Issue #1 [] Issue #2 [] Issue #3 [] Issue #4 [] Issue #5 [] Issue #6 [] Issue #7 [] Issue #8 [] Issue #9 [] Issue #10 [] Issue #11 []Issue # 12 [] Issue #13 [] Issue #14 [] Issue #15 [] Issue #16 [] Issue #17

Blue’s Fanmade Newspaper Archive

2. Star and Moon

Star and Moon Space Kumquat

Aha, sorry I wasn't able to get around to working on a comic this weekend, and... wait can you guys have 2 different comics?

druid and nababoo like this.
  3. Possibly. Shoot me a PM if you're interested ;)

druid likes this.
  4. It's not out yet.

DevonDe, Derfpace, demanrisu and 8 others like this.
  5. Vinauf

Vinauf Industrial Terraformer

Thanks for your work, everybody. We love you.

Also, it's not out yet.

6. Nicey nicey issue:DD
    A: Med bay/Laboratory. For Science!:metroid:

7. Garneac

Garneac Phantasmal Quasar

IndentedI didn't know about Star-Cribz, so this issue was a nice surprise.
    IndentedAnd the comic made me smile. Nicely done. =)

druid, nababoo and Keeper like this.
  8. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

Wonderful.
    The discussion regarding the floran hylotl armor was funny. :V

Ketoth, druid, nababoo and 2 others like this.
  9. The Thing

The Thing Existential Complex

That armor was definitly samurai inspired and thus not Floran in design (we have a few sample for them and it just doesn't match). After that, I believe the only race we didn't get to see anything from them was the hylotl. Now it makes me wonder what kind of backstory they are cooking up for us.

Edit ; after taking a second look at the armor, it could also be mongol or pretty much any civilisation that used lamellar armor. Though the clothing available in the char generator defenitly pin it on Eastern Asian civilisation. but yeah, wrong tread for that.

Ketoth, druid and nababoo like this.
  10. druid

druid Scruffy Nerf-Herder

STILL. NOT. OUT.:devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:

11. kagenn

kagenn Pangalactic Porcupine

Interior design? Why bother with interior design? I'll worry about not fixing enough cannons, turrets and missile launchers to my space ship.

Also, keep bringing the good stuff!

nababoo and Keeper like this.
  12. R3MI

R3MI Phantasmal Quasar

Great issue as always :) Looking forward to the next one keep up the great work!

Keeper likes this.
  13. Redheat

Redheat Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Fantastic stuff here! Keep up the good work! :)

It's still not out yet

14. Ketoth

Ketoth Phantasmal Quasar

as for the question of the week.... the warp core,or something i'd change into a warp core :rofl: i'm in love with warp cores,they are just so prety ; )

nababoo likes this.
  15. Lol, do you still have that one I built on that space station?

16. Ketoth

Ketoth Phantasmal Quasar

dont think so,i'd have to ask mister if he still has the world,but i'll send it to you if he has it k?

nababoo likes this.
  17. Babwabwah

Babwabwah Star Wrangler

Lol im like that xD i always check Starbound xD and ITS NOT OUT YET!!!

18. navar0nius

navar0nius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

ok

druid likes this.
  19. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Blowing up the moon. I remember hearing about that a while back. It sounds like a Cold War comedy satire, but they were serious. :seriously:

As for what room I would obsess over decorating, it would probably be one with a lot of objects and details. I would probably go with an armory or lab.