1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Update me!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by [Yellow], Aug 27, 2014.

1. [Yellow]

[Yellow] Phantasmal Quasar

So after pre-ordering the game and playing it for a month or two, I decided to step back a bit and wait for it to update since it gets a bit boring after your characters get wiped so often due to updated and so on. :rip:

After that I got addicted to a certain game, which I'm not going to mention, and forgot about Starbound for a 'while'. Now I found it on my Steam games list and decided to play.
    I was wondering whether you guys could just some up the recent updates in a paragraph or two.

TL;DR- I haven't played Starbound in a long time and want an update/summary on what I've missed.
    :lickitung:(Sorry, just wanted to use this emoticon. It's legendary.)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  2. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Paragraph one: Most recent and game-changing updates are in Nightly branch, which you must opt-in to play and then follow PantyManMaxwell Demonic's instructions (he has a sticky writeup FAQ in the support section). Once those steps are followed exactly, you can experience a lot of new stuff like Monster AI, novakids, Ship AI, old busted ships, new hotness ships, and new biomes.

Paragraph two: Do it. I dare you.

3. KyPTeD

KyPTeD Void-Bound Voyager

Correction: it's legen... Wait for it.. DARY!

So yes, getting into the updates stuff, you haven't lost anything, BUT as @Akado has said you can opt into nightly builds.
    A part from this, check out the daily blog update post where you can check out what the devs have been working on and the stuff that they add each day (fyi if you didn't know it's at www.playstarbound.com )

Cya!

-KyPTeD

4. tobychew

tobychew Subatomic Cosmonaut

When was the last time you played, last update was april 26 2014. and what Akado said there is a nightly branch you can check out its pretty fun if you don't mind some of the bugs and visual glitches

5. [Yellow]

[Yellow] Phantasmal Quasar

Ummm... I know it says that it's REALLY broken right now, but I don't think this is supposed to happen:
    [​IMG]
    Any solutions for fixing this?

6. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

Serenity, Akado and [Yellow] like this.
  7. Pyre

Pyre Void-Bound Voyager

You're going to have to delete some or all of your local files to get it working, so I wouldn't try out the nightly branch unless you're willing to lose your stuff.

8. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

starbound.config just to start.

9. UltraSnaky

UltraSnaky Pangalactic Porcupine

There should just be a megathread for this "people who haven't played in ages and want to be updated" thing.

KyPTeD likes this.
  10. KyPTeD

KyPTeD Void-Bound Voyager

I agree

11. Starbug

Starbug Guest

No, there should be an update for people who haven't played for ages and want an update. ;)

For the rest of us too. The gap between the last stable update and now is quite long for an early access title.

12. Lintton

Lintton Guest

For a quick way into nightly after setting In steam: copy your stable player/ universe folder to another location on the computer, and delete star bound.config .

That should work.

13. Skarn

Skarn Existential Complex

The best way to do that is to check nightly as others have said, but if you just want the skinny on the most recent stuffs: linky
    A couple notes:
    SAIL = Ship AI system that gives missions and such.
    You start with a broken engine or something like that, and have to repair before you can go other places.
    There's a central hub area being added soonish, an outpost you can reach from a stargate-type device above the starter planet.
    Matter manipulator will be an upgradeable device, and a quite powerful one at that. It'll also be able to move liquids.
    Heat/Cold system (instead of just cold) I believe is being planned now.

14. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Heat? Where did you hear this?

15. Skarn

Skarn Existential Complex