Tutorial?

Discussion in 'Side Quests' started by LethalShade, Mar 28, 2012.

1. LethalShade

LethalShade Scruffy Nerf-Herder

When you arrive at the station, early in the game, a computer will ask you if you want to undergo training. If you answer no, the game will continue normally.

If you answer yes, the computer will require you to undergo a series of tests of increasing difficulty, to familiarize yourself with moving, mining and shooting.

CadeStirling, Qader, Rox and 14 others like this.
  2. Lobo

Lobo Spaceman Spiff

So simple, yet one of the things i missed mostly in terraria! :up:
    i support this idea

Svarr Chanston likes this.
  3. Zoraculus

Zoraculus Smile Guy

That would be surely helpful, a little training section to teach you how to do basic commands in-game.

4. Lobo

Lobo Spaceman Spiff

br? rs

5. Eddy Steel

Eddy Steel Existential Complex

Tutorials can make the game so much better if done right, I recommend watching this and skipping three minutes in if you don't want to watch the rest (But why wouldn't you?;)).
    Anyway, doing a simple "Press X to Y" tutorial is lazy.
    Edit: NEVER, EVER, allow to skip tutorials, that's like letting children decide whether or not to go to school, sure some will want their education, but childish-ness will get the better of most of them.

Alvin Flummox and Defenseless like this.
  6. fishboyliam

fishboyliam Cosmic Narwhal

I normally learn my stuff from utubers before I play. But sinse I'm gona play this as soon as I can, I may need a tutorial. All kinds of games have them! Portal 2's had an interesting way of teaching jumping...

7. LethalShade

I think that, as in terraria, some people will want to restart an adventure. And there's nothing more boring than remaking a tutorial that you can not pass.

bounding star likes this.
  8. fishboyliam

True. I hate redoing stuff sometimes, tutorials being 100.1% likely to bother me the second time.

9. Яetrospekt

Яetrospekt Pangalactic Porcupine

I support this. Good idea for new players to get invoved and emerged properly :up:

gober67 likes this.
  10. Eddy Steel

If you want to skip a tutorial or if you feel that doing it again is redundant, then it is a bad tutorial.
    Did you play Portal? Portal was 80% tutorial, but do you want to skip that?

11. LethalShade

I do not think a tutorial could be fun to repeat this kind of game, whatever it is. (And yes, I have Portal)

12. Eddy Steel

To quote the video "If you do a tutorial right, the player will never even notice, but if you do it wrong, the player will either be confused or bored stupid".
    Do you see what I'm talking about yet? Just so I'm certain you've watched the video click HERE.

13. fishboyliam

True, true, but i wouldnt play it again. i liked it, but not THAT much.

14. LethalShade

Sorry, but I'm French, and, without subtitles, I will not understand many things ^^'

15. Eddy Steel

Sorry, Didn't know :p
    Anyway, Portal was just an example but can we all agree that it let you master each function of the portal gun so that when you finally finished it you were a master of the portal gun and you felt satisfied! (Kind of :confused: )

16. Zoraculus

Zoraculus Smile Guy

Yes, I felt very satisfied when I discovered that infinite fall trick...
    If a tutorial is well made, it will be awesome, that's all.

17. Eddy Steel

Thanks, I'm glad you understand what I'm talking about! :up:

18. Dreams

Dreams Star Wrangler

I would much enjoy a tutorial, for sure.
    However, if a tutorial was to be implemented, it must be 3 things:
    1. Doesn't portray an unrealistic perception about the game
    2. Can be skipped
    3. Doesn't cause lag/glitch

19. Eddy Steel

Grr! You shouldn't have to skip a tutorial! If you want to skip it then it's a bad tutorial! :devil:
    Good tutorials are worked into the gameplay so that you never notice that you went through a tutorial, think about InFamous, in the intro you ran for your life which taught you how to manoeuvre your character.

Svarr Chanston likes this.
  20. LethalShade

Yeah, like in Prince of Persia