1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Tiy anounced preorders+tiers [IRC log]

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Ketoth, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Ketoth

Ketoth Phantasmal Quasar

Getting to drop this here as soon as i could

[20:04] <@Tiy> are you guys going to help me spread the word when the preorder goes live?
    [20:04] <@Tiy> make the earth shake with the power of our tweets
    [20:05] <@Tiy> I dont want to promise tomorrow, because if I doand then something happens to stall it
    [20:05] <@Tiy> everyone will murder me with rusty spoons
    [20:05] <@Tiy> we're TRYING for tomorrow though
    [20:07] <@Tiy> Pixel tier - 1x copy of the full game, when its ready. 1x copy of the beta, when its ready, 1x starbound soundtrack, 1x experimental soundtrack (66 tracks total i believe)
    +4pack
    [20:08] <@Tiy> Silver tier, all of the above + a contributors penguin forum badge
    +4pack
    [20:08] <@Tiy> Gold Tier - all the above, the forum badge is tier 2, you get to name an NPC
    [20:09] <@Tiy> Diamond tier - all the above, tier 3 forum badge, you get to name an npc and your name goes in the credits
    [20:09] <@Tiy> Platinum Tier - all above, tier 4 forum badge, you get to name an npc, name goes in credits + you get to design a hat
    [20:10] <@Tiy> Solarium Tier - game (when ready), beta (when ready), soundtrack, tier 5 badge, name npc, name in credits, design a weapon (its design, how it fires/swings)
    [20:12] <@Tiy> Avian Tier (Price: Free) - no game/soundtrack, but you get a nifty forum badge in return for tweeting about the game
    [20:12] <@Tiy> The high level tiers are pretty expensive, kickstarter style, theyre for people who really want to invest in us
    [20:12] <@Tiy> but I think the base price is good, $15 for the game + a 66 track soundtrack
    [20:15] <@Tiy> second lowest is silver
    [20:15] <@Tiy> around $20, or $60 for a 4 pack

let us discuss and kill ourselves for the right of getting the top tiers now :D

Added from ghoul159's post down there:
    [01:15] <@Tiy> around $20, or $60 for a 4 pack
    [01:21] <@Tiy> only willing to say 2013 at the mo
    [01:21] <@Tiy> launch price will be higher

Hugt, TTCBuilder, Zmey25 and 37 others like this.
  2. bludud101

bludud101 Phantasmal Quasar

Oh wow, you totally ninja'd me. :p

3. TyDie1212

TyDie1212 Void-Bound Voyager

lol i was there o_O

4. Ghoul159

Ghoul159 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

[01:14] <@Tiy> gold will be AROUND $45
    [01:14] <@Tiy> Impervium will be AROUND $2k
    [01:15] <@Tiy> second lowest is silver
    [01:15] <+Rho_> we thought about having a tier include a lock of my hair, but they wouldn't offer me
    enough
    [01:15] <@Tiy> around $20, or $60 for a 4 pack
    [01:21] <@Tiy> only willing to say 2013 at the mo
    [01:21] <@Tiy> launch price will be higher

5. Tojo

Tojo Existential Complex

So are certain tiers limited? Like would there be a lot of people who get to make hats, weapons, and name hundreds of npcs? That seems tedious to implement. and might get out of hand if there are to many

Evangelion likes this.
  6. bludud101

bludud101 Phantasmal Quasar

You forgot the most important part! :D
    [19:17] <@Tiy> $10k gets you molly flown to your house, where she'll serenade you with her ukulele, drink all your wine and vomit cake all over your rug
    [19:17] <@mollygos> shit i'd be happy to do that for the free wine and cake

Shock, Hugt, Asrashas and 31 others like this.
  7. Fading Walnut

Fading Walnut Scruffy Nerf-Herder

CANT WAIIITTT!!

8. rndm

rndm Subatomic Cosmonaut

Ketoth forgot:
    Impervium Tier - game (when ready), beta (when ready), soundtrack, tier 6 badge, name npc, name in credits, get a statue of yourself in the game as an object

Zmey25, Pigeon, FrozenFlame and 3 others like this.
  9. delphia1

delphia1 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

._. My life is nearly complete.. now to wait untill release.

10. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

We're waiting.
    [​IMG]

Padexin, Zmey25, Avatra and 20 others like this.
  11. Яetrospekt

Яetrospekt Pangalactic Porcupine

I wonder how much Solarium Tier will actually cost.

12. Evithlia

Evithlia Weight of the Sky

so... i wanna ask, the game will come to steam? i expect a silver or a bronze tier price for me there... if it comes.

13. Stargazer

Stargazer Existential Complex

You forgot the Impervium Tier:

Impervium Tier (around $2000) - game (when ready), beta (when ready), soundtrack, tier 6 badge, name npc, name in credits, get a statue of yourself in the game as an object

Also, the gold tier is around $45.

FrozenFlame, LastDay and Aviakio like this.
  14. Hard Drive

Hard Drive Big Damn Hero

I think the base should be 5 bucks, silver 10 and increase by 5 each.

Johan likes this.
  15. IT'S UP!

ALSO Pre-Order NOT in Steam. And Game will be Cheaper in Pre-Order than in Launch.

FrozenFlame and Ketoth like this.
  16. A.N.T.I.

A.N.T.I. Spaceman Spiff

I personally would much rather design a hat than a weapon, it's easier that way.
    STILL THOUGH-
    I will get you Starbound, I don't know when... I don't know HOW... BUT SOME DAY I WILL HAVE YOU!!!!

17. I am very happy to read that a pre-order should come to be quite soon. :) It's also nice to see the huge (continuous) investment being put into Starbound from the developers' behalf, as well as the great support from the community. ^^

However, I have mixed feelings about this tiered system at the moment. I'm not against it, but I don't fully support it either. >< I'm glad with the base price for the game, that's more than fair :alien: Something that almost strikes me as odd, though, is that the more money you put into it, the more things you'll get. - That does make sense, yes, it's how business works afterall - but what about those who would like some of the rewards but cannot afford them? It's, unfortunately, almost "tough luck" to those people >< It reminds me of those many features that practically all MMOs possess nowadays which is a way of displaying one’s real life wealth (or lack of money management (or both)) by purchasing and showing off a myriad of digital rewards. Those who cannot or won't afford so much will simply not have access to such features and that doesn't sound 100% fair to me. I personally have never felt this pressure to acquire such extra items. But that pressure does indeed fall on some people. While some of you may say that it's their problem, (while it is indeed their problem) it doesn't mean that that way should be exploited because "it's the buyers' fault anyways" (even though that's how it is in the real world :zombie:). Maybe my views are a bit far-fetched from reality. ><

What concerns me the most, though, is that this process almost feels like it goes against what's been mentioned before in regards to: You get Starbound and that's that - No extras will be needed to purchase. But it doesn't feel entirely like that anymore, at least not to me. I do understand that the rewards for the pre-order will not affect the game itself, but they are still rewards/vanity items/privileges/etc., such as forum badges and being able to name NPCs --> There seems to be some sort of recognition for who contributes the most monetarily. I understand that such makes sense, but what about those who cannot afford so much? They can always give how much they are able to, but it'll still going to be far off from that one guy who donated more and managed to make a hat, weapon, and so forth. And who's to say, maybe such non-rich individual could have enormous contributions to Starbound as a game.

I much prefer when everyone pays the same amount for a game and then everyone has the same chances of “getting things”, meaning that what matters then are your skills, your ideas, rather than your wallet. Even though these rewards will not affect gameplay, they are still rewards for the forums, community and even Starbound. I just don’t feel 100% comfortable with that at the moment. Obviously, if there were, say, Chucklefish T-shirts (and in regards to the soundtrack too), real-life rewards that cost to produce, then one would have to pay extra for it. But paying for Starbound privileges (making hats, etc.) rather than real-life material goods (T-shirts, music, etc.) feels a bit strange coming from Chucklefish. o_O It strikes me as, "Give us some coin, and you can mess around with the game".

Also, what happens if someone donates a huge amount of cash and then they want to have a weapon in-game that fires, say, soiled diapers? I trust there’s going to be some sort of regulation, but I wanted to bring this up anyways.

I don't know. I guess I didn't expect this sort of "difference" between those who paid more and those who paid less. I just expected everyone would have to pay the same. I'm not against donations at all, and it's indeed nice to get some recognition for one's assistance (maybe a list with the greatest donors?), but things don't feel entirely plausible to me at the moment, taking into consideration that those who give more get to add things to the game. It's sort of like buying an auction. In regards to having things in Starbound itself, I think it's much more challenging (in a good way, of course) to have competitions, for instance, with the favourite gaining entry to SB, rather than buying the entry.

Oh well, maybe this rant is subconsciously because I'm not rich. :p I just wanted to voice that anyways. Feel free to give some feedback. I am in no way dissuaded from Starbound, but those were merely some concerns that came to my mind.

18. Ketoth

Ketoth Phantasmal Quasar

also if you guys want the full log let me know and i'll post it in a spoiler in the OP

19. Strife

Strife Existential Complex

I know it'd be a pain in the beak to do in some regards, but I'm really disappointed to not see more tiers that include more immersible items in regards to the game. For example, an art book (could even be a digital form to save costs, but I'd love a physical one) and maybe some other memorabilia. When I buy a game I'm excited about, I ALWAYS buy the most expensive collector's edition I can, and physical items (and even digital) that revolve around the game and tell me more about it (like a lore book, world map - or rough/vague galaxy map, etc) really do keep me playing longer, as I can delve further into the game environment.

Long story short, if you guys were to later put out a Collector's Edition or maybe an online store to purchase related product, I'd be more than happy to get stuff like a soundtrack (physical, with special tracks and cool coverart), art book (detail each race, some planet types, other points of interest, artist's experiences as they worked on the game), lore book (discuss in depth each race and some lore-based story events), etc.

Excited to finally pre-order the game, just disappointed it appears to be following a very clique route and won't offer a step above the normal.

20. Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

And knowing Chucklefish, that in itself is the greatest disappointment of all. Guidebooks and lore books really do make it all better. Your art team could be up for ages with that stuff without affecting development time.

That said though, this means that preorder seems to have become an incentive to put more money into the game than your fellow. Rather than support the devs in getting the game out sooner, it seems a ploy to get rich quick before your game is even out. Rather than make me happy, this comes as a BIG red flag to me (As I have been burned by MMOs in this style before). Im going to wait until release day to buy your product, even if its more expensive.

This young man could probably sum it up better than I can: As a precaution anyways: (Thank you Omni for reminding me about this)

XRiZUX, Keeper, DeadlyLuvdisc and 2 others like this.