There will be more character/universe wipes?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by kratos873, Jul 27, 2014.

1. kratos873

kratos873 Starship Captain

Im doing backup of the folders everyday, it would annoy me if there will be more wipes,.

Tymon likes this.
  2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Not for characters, no. Not sure about universes. Probably best to back up everything, just in case. It's not unheard of for saves to become corrupted or what have you.

Tymon and Serenity like this.
  3. kratos873

so if i have the backup of my universe would work on possible next stable updates? thats my doubt, i backup player universe folder and starbound.config everytime i can

i read about character/universe wipes but look info about so much time ago, also i read that chucklefish said in one moment that there wouldnt more wipes

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2014
  4. Lecic

Lecic Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I think they said there wouldn't be anymore player or ship wipes, but there might be more universe wipes. I believe they said you could back up your planets and readd them once the wipe was finished, though.

5. kratos873

Good to know that i can backup and after read the universe i have spent a lot of time doing buildings on my home, i would get sad if i have to lose my buildings, anyone can confirm this?

6. Ponjkl

Ponjkl Subatomic Cosmonaut

There would probably be no more character/ship wipes, and there IS going to by a final universe wipe, because they are changing all the universe/world generation, plus, deleting all the sectors, so the world backups will not work.

7. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

It's most likely like this: Your universe will be fine, but there's a high chance you won't get everything new (from the updates) on your old saves.

8. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I'm actually not all that sure. I haven't even played since the first build, so I've never had to deal with legacy stuff. The risk you run with playing some of these betas is a lack of backwards compatibility between some versions.

Merged your double-post, BTW. To avoid clutter, it's better to edit an existing post than to stack two or more back-to-back.

9. Lora Grim

Lora Grim Guest

It is a conspiracy a i tell you. Wipes happen so Chucklefish can rob us of our in-game wealth. It keeps us from getting too powerful and overthrowing our developer overlords.

10. Aggravated

Aggravated Aquatic Astronaut

There should be, I have no idea how they let the community talk them into not doing them consistently. I mean, its a beta right? Shouldn't people be running a clean play through every patch? Not that we've had one recently enough to merit that mind set.
    I think someone mentioned that the big flip from beta to finished game will include some kind of final wipe, but that's pretty typical of betas.

Boshed, Jbeetle and Serenity like this.
  11. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

I agree they should have kept the regular wipes, some people forget what betas are for. Especially when this beta is more of a late alpha and wipes would help alot. Also I to think their will be a complete final wipe once the game goes gold.

Boshed and Jbeetle like this.
  12. kratos873

will be there last wipe? omfg! really? so should i stop building in my home? i was constructing a lot, now i dont know if i should keep constructing or stop until know more about a universe wipe :/

13. Serenity

I said I believe there will be a final wipe on full release. I have no clue about a universe wipe but it's possible. You can text your bff jill all about it. This is the reason I have yet to build a base of any kind.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  14. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Um, is the OP playing nightlies?

15. Tymon

Tymon Cosmic Narwhal

In regards to people saying they hope they have wipes: Really? It's an RNG game... if you find the perfect weapon or pet, having it wiped would suck and you may rightly never ever find something like that again.. Right now the game is (mostly) functional at it's job of being a game, beta or not. Playing for hours on end, then the devs going 'well WIPE TIME' and losing all you built/accomplished isn't even remotely 'fun'.

16. Serenity

Most games start fresh when a beta is over. Their probably will be a complete wipe on full release.

17. Tymon

Tymon Cosmic Narwhal

I hope not, the developers stated there wouldn't be as well. Reneging on a public declaration/promise certainly wouldn't be good for their PR.

18. kratos873

that's i thought but people said "it's beta" expect a final wipe before full release, i really dont want to lose my buildings or items :(

anyone can tell something about ship wipes? should i save all my precious items on my ship?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2014
  19. Tymon

Tymon Cosmic Narwhal

"People" who are not the developer. The developers said 'no more wipes of characters and ships will happen'. If they do a wipe, that would hit their reputation pretty hard considering it would mean they flat out lied to the public. Beta or no beta, you can't say we won't do any more wipes and then do a wipe without some sort of consequences, either to your reputation, or to future sales of your product. Keep in mind however they did say ships and characters, nothing about a universe wipe yet. But a full wipe seems highly unlikely.

20. Eisengreifer

Eisengreifer Orbital Explorer

Not that I doubt you, but where and when did they say so? Could you provide a link?
    If they really said so, I'd trust that.
    A final universe wipe I find very likely, although that is pure speculation on my part.

Serenity likes this.