The typical go kill this many of that and bring be back loot

Discussion in 'Side Quests' started by Elvin, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Elvin

Elvin Void-Bound Voyager

Gotta love the good old quests where its like o go kill 20 wolves and bring me their tongues ,
    but no really there should be quests like this they can be quite fun at times

Evangelion likes this.
  2. big mac

big mac Orbital Explorer

eeeyup

3. Fhux

Fhux Aquatic Astronaut

As long as there's variety in the other quests I don't mind a couple of Go there, get that-quests. Too many of the same type and it'll quickly get repetitive.

4. DevilForce

DevilForce Scruffy Nerf-Herder

in my opinion i kinda hate quests like these. Maybe if its a part of a quest then yes. The game that has the best quests is runescape for me.

5. DevilForce

DevilForce Scruffy Nerf-Herder

THAT...... would work. Like Fhux said: as long as there are other quests.

6. Alvin Flummox

Alvin Flummox Existential Complex

I imagine these are definitely going to included as side quests. The devs said somewhere that npcs will randomly tell you to go to a planet and collect a creature or plant or something for them. These quests are fun in moderation, as long as there is other more interesting quests to break up the tedium, so I hope they're in :)

7. Witness

Witness Giant Laser Beams

I dislike such kinds of quests as well. They're brainless grind, a thing most traditional RPG players or 'old guard' finds horrible in majority of MMOs. I'd prefer proper quests, which can be called 'quests' and which possess proper background instead of such chores. Even more, I dare say I'd prefer no quests to quests like suggested here because this kind of tasks would just cheapen the game and prove ambition and polishing driving Starbound was overestimated.

Collect or defeat some specific, rare monster or item? Sure. It's traditional 'fetch' quest, good for some additional profit on the side. Racking up killcount on some particular species? No, thank you, I'd like to believe devteam aims higher than that.

8. grimness

grimness Phantasmal Quasar

id like this idea to be combined with a reputation system ( THAT IS ALREADY ITS OWN THREAD BTW) while still being in main intrest of the player.
    like, the npc is an experienced miner and he is willing to give you rare gemstones if you kill a mammoboar and get the meat for him or something...

Keeper and Ublind like this.
  9. Fleder

Fleder Pangalactic Porcupine

please, no "collect x y" quests.

i would rather love to see other npcs starving and you have to cook for them or they need a new well or water pump and you have to build one to help them. stuff like this, not only kill 20 insects to give the wings to a npc. thats boring and stupid.

budsygus likes this.
  10. S0me001

S0me001 Void-Bound Voyager

Instead of making those kind of quests just sit there and waste space, why not add them as an optional objective to a larger mission. People like me who enjoy killing things just for the sake of drops still get to go commit genocide, and people who would rather not can skip the optional mission. Though, if those quests are going to be out there, maybe increase the spawn rate of that enemy, simply to make it less of a task of waiting around.
    Although... I would love quests to kill a rare enemy, sort of as an added incentive to exploring without really getting in the way of other missions.

11. budsygus

budsygus Pangalactic Porcupine

Fetch quests are a complete waste in games like this. I like your suggestion. Build a home or a well or divert a river or block up a mob's cave or dig a trench to prevent them coming out or even better kill 20 insects and give the wings t- Ugh... Who are we kidding. There's gonna be some dang fetch quests. Let's just hope they're few and far between.

12. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

Ahem*

Monster Hunter.

13. Josh Elliott

Josh Elliott Orbital Explorer

I think this type of gameplay is best handled via bounties as opposed to making it a quest. NPC's that you might run across that will give you a decent payout for a specific creature item.. but I'd say to make the NPC locations and what they want non static, so as you save stuff occasionally you can trade your Xarblaxian Pumice glands for some rare materials or the like if you happen to come across the right guy at the right time.

Kind of like the merchant trading style games.

Auraknight likes this.
  14. Tea Mate

Tea Mate Existential Complex

WoxandWarf likes this.
  15. Rekalty

Rekalty Friend of the Night

How's about a quest to go kill Quest NPCs that offer any kind of generic quest?

WoxandWarf and §hifter like this.
  16. grimness

grimness Phantasmal Quasar

i don't think this is what they meant by fighting fire with fire lol

Rekalty likes this.
  17. Fellow explorer! I have a quest for thee. Lately, a small gang of poptops, about 3-5 have raided my pantry clean of its food!
    I need you to take it back!

I need you to kill 500 poptops. It is the only way to obtain 3 of their eyes! Yes 500 poptops give 3 poptop eyes!

Now go! Your reward is 1200 pixels and a cotton shirt.

JAGYOUARE, §hifter and WoxandWarf like this.