Story The Tau Ceti Gang - A Serial Starbound Adventure - *What's up with Hart? Find out!*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Trowzers, Oct 8, 2013.

1. joedanger

joedanger Scruffy Nerf-Herder

AWSOME I can't wait for it to be continued ...hey I think this would be really cool if it was one of the logbooks that you find in starbound if you want me too I could try to ask if they can?

2. Trowzers

Trowzers Existential Complex

I have been writing it as a kind of serialised Adventure Story you might find in a library in the Starbound universe so that would be pretty awesome :D

3. joedanger

STARBOUND MAKE THIS INTO A STORY OR IF I FIND EVER (probably not but if I did) YOU I WILL EAT YOU!!!.....or not d:

4. joedanger

Wait do u want me to actually see if they can?

5. joedanger

With twitter I could tweet them or I could send them a messege or something

6. joedanger

Wait never mind in just asked a staff member I'm waiting for a reply

7. Trowzers

Lol thanks Joe. More story tomorrow - this is going to be part of my Nanowrimo word count (along with a seperate original novel I'm writing) so I'll probably be updating regularly all through November :)

8. joedanger

Hi I got a reply turns out the guy that I sent it to was just a forum moderator so I sent it to GeorgeV a staff member.

9. Trowzers

CHAPTER ELEVEN

Brandis felt ill. She could only look at the thing on the table in brief glances, but even then what she saw made her tremble and her stomach churn.

They had discovered that the complex had only two underground levels, and that all the surface buildings were only used for storage. There was no trace of Verden's computer, so they had taken the emergency stairs to the first underground level, and carefully explored the rooms. Their vision was limited by the full-face gas masks, so their process seemed agonisingly slow. Brandis was constantly jumping at things that loomed out the corner of her vision.
    Nothing at this base resembled a Floran building. There was no wood or vines and no animal skins - not even in the living quarters - only stainless steel and clean, white-panelled walls. Some of the rooms contained banks of computers and displays. Some had metal lockers and paper printouts of charts and tables of data. Others had benches full of scientific equipment, and a scattering of unconscious Florans in laboratory coats.
    Half of the first level contained living quarters, where they discovered several more Florans, still lying in the bunk beds where they had been asleep. Further along, a small arsenal of weapons were clipped to the walls of a guard station, where the guards were slumped in front of displays full of security camera footage. Brandis later wished they had paused here to watch the security footage, but as Hart was constantly reminding them, the gas would only work for so long. Sooner or later, the guards would begin to wake. So they hurried on.
    And then, on the second underground level they had found this room...

Two bulky metal tables filled part of the large laboratory room. Lights and other equipment hung from mobile arms above them. One table was empty but the other...
    The male Apex strapped to the table was obviously dead. The body stared glassily at the ceiling, oblivious to the thin vines that burst from it's skin and curled around it like slim, green snakes. In some places, the vines had grown leaves, and clutches of bright white flowers, whose honeysuckle scent filled the room. They were beautiful and horrific.
    Verden gave the corpse only a brief glance, as if this was something the floran had seen many times before, then headed to the back of the room where some discarded machinery stood on benches. Hart, however, seem fascinated despite himself. “Monstrous.” He whispered, walking around the table to take a closer look. “Verden, this is the weapon?”
    Verden nodded, distracted. “A prototype, I am guessing. That still only kills it's victims. They need my data to complete the weapon.”
    “Kills them instead of enslaving them. Horrible.” Hart picked up a long glove that had been lying on the table and started to put it on.
    “For apes sake, don't touch it!” pleaded Brandis. “I feel sick – can we get out of here?” She had just spotted the large jars that sat on many of the benches and wanted to leave before she figured out what was in them. She didn't want to find out what happened if you threw up while wearing a gas mask.
    “In a moment.” replied Verden. “This is my ship's core computer. It already has a power source – I just need to remove the data.” Taking a memory cube from it's pocket, Verden slotted it into the computer and began pressing buttons.
    To distract herself, Brandis began setting up one of the small explosive cubes that Hart had prepared. They had been scattering them throughout the building. Brandis had felt bad at the idea of blowing up a building full of Florans who were unconscious but still alive. But now she worried that the explosion would not be big enough. Anyone who subjected a fellow ape to such a horrible things – they deserved death. She gritted her teeth as she fixed the explosive to the back wall of the laboratory – as far away from the table with the… thing as she could get.
    Hart wrenched his occulars away from the horror show on the table and moved toward the back of the room where Verden was working. “Anything I can do?” The Floran had hissed in frustration as it worked at the input panel on the computer core.
    “No. This is nearly complete. But I must break my own encryption to remove the data.” After a moment, and more careful button pressing, the memory cube beeped happily. “There! We can go.” Verden pocketed the memory cube.
    “Go? So soon?” said a fourth voice.
    In sync, Verden, Hart and Brandis turned towards the door.
    “But you've been making such good progress.” said the figure in the doorway, pointing a large rifle at them meaningfully.

Aeryc likes this.
  10. Trowzers

CHAPTER TWELVE

“Keep your hands where I can see them. Any sudden moves and I will shoot.” The figure at the door wore a red protective suit with an oxygen tank strapped to the back – just the kind of thing someone might wear in a laboratory. The glass faceplate was a white square of glare as it reflected the ceiling lights.
    Brandis cursed to herself. They should have expected something like this. And none of them had their weapons drawn. Whoever this was, they had picked their moment carefully. The newcomer had the advantage now, even if they appeared to be alone.
    Hart raised his hands carefully. “What kind of rifle is that anyway?” The weapon looked roughly cobbled together, with wires protruding from it's sides.
    The suited figure hefted the rifle proudly. “This is just a prototype of course! When the seed is complete, we will make a more... impressive model. But for now this will do a good enough job.”
    “Then the seed won't affect me.” Hart began to step forward, but stopped abruptly as the weapon swung around. Brandis found herself staring right down the barrel.
    “Aha! You may be right – the seed might not affect a Glitch. But as you can see, your friend here would not be so lucky.” The suited figure chuckled – a strange sound coming from such a gruff, cruel voice.
    Brandis surged with anger. “Flippin' saladbrains! The Ministry'll hear about this! They'll chase you down and fry your zucchini quick as spittin'” She drew back her lips, her large canine teeth prominent in the grim, defiant smile.
    “I wouldn't be so sure about that.” The voice sounded smug. “The Ministry isn't afraid to take a few risks for the glory of the Great Ape! It knows that might lies in superior technology.”
    Brandis squinted at the figure. Something was not right here. She leaned forward a little and hunched her shoulders and... “Holy banana breath. It's us!” she gasped. The change in light revealed a male Apex face behind the glass of the protective suit.
    “Us? Us?!” The Ape was outraged. “You are no more part of 'us' than these...” it waved the rifle briefly towards Hart and Verden “...inferior species. Don't think you can fool me – I recognise those primitive speech patterns, you filthy, failed experiment.”
    Brandis was stunned into silence.
    The Ape continued, taking savage pleasure in her obvious shock. “Oh don't look so surprised. You must have realised you were a mistake, being so... different.” He almost spat the word. “The Ministry set a grand goal – to introduce more creativity into Apex society. More spontaneity. No doubt your parents were aware of your purpose when the Ministry ordered them to adopt you. But as that first batch grew older, and insinuated itself into Apex society, it became all too clear! This genetic line was far too disorderly to ever achieve their purpose. We issued a recall – why did you not obey?!” The ape glared at Brandis angrily.
    Brandis began to reply but the Ape interrupted... “Nevermind! I don't want to hear your excuses! You were a mistake, and it's my duty to cleanse the Apex of such errors.” He raised the rifle.
    “No!” Hart shouted, his yell almost overpowering the hollow 'pang!' as the rifle fired.
    Brandis crouched, her hands over her head. But, when she failed to feel the sting of a bullet, or any sign of parasitic vines bursting from her body, she looked up again.
    In front of her, Hart stood with hands around the neck of the Apex male. The head inside the suit swung loosely, like a broken marionette. Hart dropped the corpse when he saw Brandis looking up at him.
    “Are you alright, Brandis?”
    “I feel ok. But Verden!”
    The Floran lay on the ground between them. Although neither of them remembered seeing Verden leap, Verden had somehow moved quickly enough to make it in front of Brandis. Now Verden lay on his back, gasping quietly. Thin, green ichor leaked from a small hole in the Floran's neck.
    “What can we do!” Brandis patted at the Floran's shoulders, unsure how to treat a wound like this.
    “Quickly!” Hart moved to a bench and grabbed at the medical instruments there. “Maybe we can remove the seed.”
    But Verden's voice whispered weakly “It is too late, friend. I can feel it moving through me.” The Floran coughed, and lifted a hand to grasp at Brandis' sleeve. “But in my kind... the seed... maybe it will work more slowly. Please... get me to a stasis chamber.”
    Brandis glanced at Hart, her eyes wide. “There must be one on the ship. It has so much other junk!”
    Hart crouched forward and lifted the Floran gently. But not before taking the memory cube from the Floran's robes. “Hurry. Back to the ship!”

11. Trowzers

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Brandis barely remembered the run back through the base. She did remember reaching the cargo bay, and seeing the bodies of the unconcious Floran guards begin to move, one or two even waking enough to reach for weapons... but they rushed onwards, and soon they were in the tiny pod, Hart resting Verden's body carefully on the floor.
    “The shield!” cried Brandis, in sudden terror. They may have escaped the base, but they still could not take off while the shield was active. Through the windscreen she could see several of the Floran guards stagger through the cargo bay door. They still looked groggy, but one held what looked like a grenade.
    Despite having nowhere to go, Brandis sent the little shuttle rocketing upwards, until it hovered at the top of the curve of the shield. Only a few metres above them, the flying sand howled and skittered across the protective barrier, but it may as well have been miles away, as they could not pass through while the shield was up.
    “There's only one way.” Hart said grimly.
    Brandis turned to look at the Glitch. He was holding a small control pad, the LED display showing the words 'Arm remote device”. Brandis nodded, knowing they had planned to set off the explosives only when they were safely away from the base. They had no way of telling how large the explosion would be. If the shield did not fall quickly enough, the debris could rocket around the inside like a snowdome full of shrapnel.
    Brandis gripped the shuttle controls.
    Hart pressed the button.
    The ground around the base billowed out, like a giant fist was pushing from below. Then the shock wave hit them. Brandis struggled to keep the shuttle under control as the hot blast rammed them upwards against the shield. They scraped across the top of the dome like a stone skipped across a pond. The shuttle's hull groaned as another blast pummelled them from below, pinning them against the forcefield and spraying sand and metal shards until it sounded like hail on a metal roof. Then, as a third explosion pressed them upwards, the field above them was suddenly gone, and the shuttle soared out into the howling sandstorms. They spun wildly for a moment until Brandis got her bearings and managed to point the shuttle's nose into the gale.
    Below them, the base was no more than a dark stain of smoke in the streaks of dusty wind.
    “The explosions destroyed most of the base. Whatever is left, the sand will quickly bury.” Hart was peering through the windscreen at the remains of the base, but as they gained altitude even the dark smoke disappeared from view.
    Brandis didn't reply. She was once again fighting hard against the savage winds, but also she was fighting to ignore a mass of thoughts that whirled around her brain like her own internal storm. How many people had they just killed? Had the shuttle taken too much damage to taken them all the way back to the ship? Was Verden lying there dying at her feet? What on earth had that Ministry ape been talking about? She had a few ideas about that last question, but she ignored the distracting thoughts and concentrated on getting them back to the Tau Ceti. Sensing her mood, Hart stayed silent, only moving to check on Verden every now and again.
    They stayed in grim silence until the shuttle docked back at the ship. Hart carried Verden to the medical bay, and they did what they could to make the Floran comfortable, but although they searched they could not find anything resembling a stasis chamber.
    “Useless piece of junk!” Brandis cried, kicking the wall of the medical bay. Verden was still breathing, but neither of them could ignore the tiny green vine that had begun to grow out the corner of once closed eye.
    So far they had spent nearly an hour trying to find a stasis chamber on the ship. They had queried the ship's records, searched through the medical bay and living quarters, and even opened several large crates in the cargo bay, but the ship was so huge and so full of mysterious crates and small, unexplored rooms that they soon realised the search was futile.
    “We should leave this system.” Hart said gently, as Brandis swore creatively under her breath. “It's dangerous to stay here so close to the base.”
    “Maybe we could rig a stasis chamber. There are plenty of parts in this scrap heap.” Brandis crossed her arms stubbornly.
    Hart shook his head, but his expression was sympathetic. “We don't have the time or the medical knowledge. We know next to nothing about Florans.”
    Brandis sighed deeply, her eyes sparkling with tears. “But that coulda been me.” She gulped. “An' the poor sprout barely knew us! There must be something we can do.” She wiped at her tears. “Maybe there's someone else that can help. We're suppose ta get the information to someone who can make an antidote for the seed. Maybe they can help Verden too.”
    Hart shrugged. “I guess we weren't really thinking that far ahead. But maybe... if we can find the right place.”
    Brandis rubbed her nose thoughtfully. “Then I have an idea of where we can go. An' let's not waste any more time.”

12. Read up to chapter 6 with my Assassin's Creed 4 pirate music playing. It's not a bad mix.

Trowzers likes this.
  13. Trowzers

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Even though their ship was locked into the Tetrali station docking bay, Brandis was sure that every weapon in the satellite network was trained on the Tau Ceti.
    At first, Security Officer Brusk had not been happy to see them. After an hour of arguments, pleading, offers of bribes (and a subsequent satellite weapons lock) Brandis, to her own embarrassment, had burst into frustrated tears, and a confused Officer Brusk had agreed to pass a message onto the Research Manager who headed Tetrali science station.

An hour later, when the Research Manager had enthusiastically requested they dock at the station so they could meet him, Brusk still wasn't happy, but she had cooled off significantly. When she came on board the Tau Ceti, she only bought three heavily-armed guards, and only frisked Hart and Brandis twice. It was a significant improvement on the offer of “blowing your misbegotten hides into nano-particles drifting on the solar wind” they had received when they had first approached the station.
    At last Brusk was satisfied the Tau Ceti was secure enough to allow the Research Manager on-board.
    Professor Beetling was a small middle-aged man with a furiously healthy shock of thick, brown hair that made it glaringly obvious he was being treated for a receding hairline.
    “Hello. Hi. Yes. You must be Brandis, who sent the message.” he shook Brandis' hand eagerly, before moving onto Hart. “And Mr. Hart. Yes. Most interesting. Not many Glitch around here.”
    Beetling had brought two white-coated scientists with him, who barely glanced up from the computer tablets they were holding. “This is Biology and Medicine. Er, Werner and Moralis. They insisted on coming when they saw your note, Ms Brandis.”
    “Er, hello” Werner and Moralis gave no sign of having heard her, and Professor Beetling ploughed on as if, now that the scientists had been introduced, they no longer needed to pay any attention to them.
    “Well, shall we go on with it? From your note, you have a fellow in need of some assistance?” continued the Professor, and he began to wander off down the hallway without waiting for a reply.

They led the Professor to the medical bay, their progress slowed by Officer Brusk, who insisted on scanning each new room and hallway before the others could enter, until Professor Beetling brushed her aside saying, “Settle down, Elsie! We'll never get anywhere with you hovering about in front of us like that.”
    Brandis lifted an eyebrow at 'Elsie' as she passed by the Security Officer. She felt she might regret it later, but the furious look Officer Brusk gave her was worth it.
    As soon as they reached the medical bay all three scientists rushed forward to crowd around Verden, waving scanners and murmuring “Intriguing!” and “Never seen anything quite like it.”
    As they examined the Floran, Brandis turned to Hart. “Do you think we're doing the right thing?”
    Hart shrugged. “How can we be sure. We could search for years, and still not be sure if someone could be trusted with the information about this weapon. But at least here, now, we can get Verden into stasis and he'll have a chance.”
    “Yes, there's that.” said Brandis, hoping that years from now she would not hear any reports about plant-based zombies taking over the galaxy.

Brandis didn't want to leave Tetrali station until they had seen Verden safely transferred to a stasis chamber, and had extracted a written contract from Professor Beetling declaring that the data they had given him would be kept in utmost security and only used to develop a a cure or antidote, or to further medical or biological knowledge in ways that could in no way, never ever, be used as a weapon. Professor Beetling had laughed when they mentioned security, “Elsie will be more than happy to take care of that.” but he also promised to restrict the project to a few top scientists, just to be sure.
    They remained at the station a few days longer, even though Officer Brusk was hovering over their shoulders and trying to make their lives difficult. Even now, as they stood in the canteen drinking coffee and looking out of the observation window, Officer Brusk stood in the corner, watching them like an eagle and whispering into a communicator.
    “Do you think she'll ever stop doing that?” Brandis muttered, glaring back at the Security Officer.
    “She doesn't seem the type to give up easily.” replied Hart, with a metallic chuckle.
    The exchange of evil stares with Officer Brusk was interrupted by the sight of one of the many young, white-coated scientists standing near the observation window a few metres from their table. The Avian scientist was peering out the window in a very unusual way, bending his knees, pacing from one end of the window to the other, then looking back into the room with the wide-eyed look of someone who had something urgent to share, but didn't know who to share it with. The Avian caught Brandis' eye and, seeing an opportunity, he began to stride over.
    “Do you know him?” Hart whispered, as the scientist approached.
    Brandis shook her head. The Avian had a very pointy beak, but tiny close-set eyes and a long neck. He reminded Brandis of a stork.
    As he got closer, the Avian pointed out the window with one white, downy finger. “Do... do you see that? The big ship?” After giving them a glance he stared back at the window, as if the ship might disappear if he wasn't looking at it.
    Hart squinted. He guessed the Tau Ceti was the biggest ship in dock. The Avian was looking at them expectantly so Hart shrugged and nodded at the same time.
    “I thought so. Wow. Here! I thought it couldn't be at first, but then I looked and no! The markings! It had to be. Wow! You can even see the blast damage from the Zenoris Episode!”
    The avian burbled on excitedly for a while before Brandis interjected “You mean the Tau Ceti?” She wasn't sure how any of this could relate to their ship.
    The Avian tore his eyes away from the window. “Well, of course, if you want to use the official designation.” The Avian had inserted air quotes around the word 'official'. “Wow! I guess you must be fans too, huh? What's your favourite episode? I was always fond of 'Deep Seas, Dark Hearts', but 'The Battle of Gears' is also great, even though it was in the twelfth season and the rest of that season is all a bit... you know.” The Avian waggled a hand. Hart and Brandis looked back at him with puzzled expressions.
    “Ok, wow, you have no idea what I'm talking about.” He paused, staring at them incredulously. “The Blackfish? The Dread Pirate Hunter? Captain Vernier?”
    “Ah now that last one... Captain Vernawhatsit. That's familiar.” Brandis suddenly remember the scruffy looking pirate in the red cape, lying unconscious on the floor of a distant Floran dungeon. “What about him?” she asked, suddenly feeling suspicious and guilty.
    “What you you mean 'What about him?' He's Captain Vernier – Dread Pirate Hunter. He's only the best and most famous pirate hunter in all of the retro telewaves!”

14. Wintorn

Wintorn Phantasmal Quasar

I was not expecting a fanboy Avian for some nondescript space show. You've surprised me again.

RenaldiForumStar and Trowzers like this.
  15. joedanger

Wait before I start reading the last 4 chapters that I'm missed I just what to advice trowzers that I was away for a bit

16. Trowzers

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Despite talking to him for over an hour, the only thing they had managed to learn about the Avian was that his name was Derot. But they had learned an awful lot about a show called 'Dread Pirate Hunter'. The telewave series had stopped filming nearly two decades ago, but thanks to reruns on the retro channels of his home planet, many young Avians had become huge fans.
    “Of course, our parents hated it.” Derot explained “They think all the telewave shows are sinful because they take us away from the worship of Kluex, but a lot of the younger generation don't care for those stuffy old stories anyway.”
    Somehow he had managed to convince Brandis and Hart to follow him back to his quarters so he could show them his 'collection'. As they followed him down a hall, Brandis whispered to Hart. “We can't let him know the Tau Ceti is our ship.”
    “Why not? Sounds like he'd love to see it.”
    “Because,” Brandis hissed impatiently “Do we really want people starting to wonder where a certain Captain has disappeared to and why we're on his ship?”
    A look of understanding washed across Hart's LEDs. “Good point.”

As soon as the door to Derot's quarters whooshed open, Brandis regretted going there. The room was filled with posters, figurines and other merchandise from the Dread Pirate Hunter series. Derot grabbed a model of the Tau Ceti, looking slightly cleaner and newer than the ship currently parked outside, and handed it to Hart. “See! The Blackfish! Of course she's looking a little out of date these days, but I'm sure she'd still be able to hold her own, with all the modifications and new systems they installed. Did you know she was originally a Hylotl ship? Hart to tell with all the changes, I know, but you can still tell if you know what you're looking for.”
    Brandis was drawn to another model on the shelf. It showed a ruggedly handsome human, posing dramatically with a drawn pistol, his gold embroidered red cape thrown out behind him as though he was standing in a strong breeze. The face of the figure was young and dashing, not craggy and dirty, but it bore an undeniable resemblance to the man they had left back in the Floran dungeon. “It really is him.” She whispered.
    Hearing her, Derot smiled proudly. “Yep, that's the man himself! Ben Vernier, Captain of the Blackfish. Or Thomas Liflin, really. They say that when they were casting the role of the Captain of the Blackfish, he suited the job so well that that they chose him pretty much the moment he walked through the door!”
    “So, this Dread Pirate Hunter show, it isn't like... reality TV or anything?”
    Derot laughed. “Oh no! None of that garbage. It's pure retro telewave – space battles and weird aliens and all that kind of thing. And of course taking bounties and chasing down pirates, that's the main part of the show. Here, I tell you what, I've got an extra data cube around here. I'll put the episodes on it and you can watch them for yourself.” He turned to a panel (tiny figures of space creatures were stuck along it's top) and had the cube ready in a moment.
    “Yeah thanks.” said Brandis, taking the cube reluctantly, and grabbing Hart, who was closely examining a brassy looking replica pistol. “We hafta go now, don't we Hart?”
    “Err... yes, we do?”
    “Great. Nice ta meet you Derot.”
    “Hey, nice to meet you too! If you see Captain Vernier on the station, let me know!” Derot waved at them cheerfully.
    “Doubt we'll see him, but we'll let you know!” Brandis dragged Hart by the arm out into the hallway.
    “Hey, what are you doing? That was getting interesting.”
    “Interesting! Weren't you listening to any of that? Don't you realise what we've done?”
    “We got something new to watch during warp?” Hart plucked the data cube out of Brandis' hand.
    “No, you idiot! Didn't they augment you with any extra smarts? No wonder that flathead fell for your story about a Glitchen princess to rescue. He's an actor, Hart, not a pirate out to get us, or even a pirate hunter. An' we left him almost helpless in the middle of a dungeon!”
    Hart was still unimpressed. “It's been twenty years since the show was filming. And he seemed to know what he was doing when he shot those Florans. Maybe he's had a change of career?”
    “Maybe. But why would he still be wearing that grotty old cape? Hart, we hafta check it out – he could just be some sad, old, crazy actor tryin' to relive his glory days.”
    Hart sighed deeply. “He's probably already leftovers by now, you realise? It's been nearly a week.”
    Brandis just stared at him stubbornly.
    “Ok ok. But I get to choose what we watch on the warp back.” He wiggled the cube in front of her as she rolled her eyes.

17. joedanger

Just read the last 4 chapters I missed...AWSOME it's a really good story and I personally like that avian thing

Trowzers likes this.
  18. Trowzers

CHARLESTON TELEWAVES PRESENTS -
    DREAD PIRATE HUNTER
    Staring CAPTAIN VERNIER – CAPTAIN OF THE BLACKFISH in 'GREEN STAR SUNSET'

ACT ONE:
    The story opens on an idyllic beach scene. The beach is dotted with chair, tables, and beach umbrellas. Casually dressed couples drink cocktails. In the background a green sun is setting slowly, lighting the area with a bright jade light. Music: Relaxing tropical theme.
    Zoom to one table, where Captain Vernier, looking out of place in his uniform and red cape, is sitting at a table with a scantily dressed lady in a floral print bikini. She is Lady Cora Harrington, the young heiress who has been seeking fun and adventure as Captain Vernier's latest assistant.

CORA H: Oh Captain! Do you ever relax? We're on the most beautiful resort planet in the galaxy, and you're still dressed in your uniform! (She titters and sips delicately at her cocktail)
    CAPTAIN V: Why Cora, you're too young to know. Danger lurks everywhere. Even on resort planets. (Captain tips his head at a heroic angle)
    CORA H: But Captain! We're not here on a mission. We're only here because it's owned by that lovely billionaire we rescued and he insisted on buying us a drink. And I notice you've barely touched yours!
    CAPTAIN V: I'm sorry, Cora, but I don't drink while I'm on duty.
    CORA H: But when are you off duty, Captain?
    CAPTAIN V: When all the pirates in the galaxy have been defeated! (Music: dramatic crescendo)
    CORA H: Oh Captain V! (laughs)
    A robotic butler approaches carrying a tray.

CORA H: Why Captain, that robot looks like it's bringing us something. Maybe some more cocktails?
    The robot butler lifts the lid on the silver tray. Captain V takes a small card from the tray and appears to be reading it.
    CAPTAIN V: It's a message from Charles Bankston.
    CORA H: The lovely billionaire!
    CAPTAIN V: He wants to meet us in the library. He says he has something to show us.
    CORA H: Oh we must go! Maybe it's a reward.
    CAPTAIN V: Defeating pirates and rescuing their victims is reward enough for me!
    They rise and walk toward a building just off the beach.

ACT TWO
    Cora and Captain Vernier are standing in a large, expensive looking lounge. The walls are panelled in dark wood, and the carpet is deep red. Wooden display cabinets with glass doors stand between tall bookshelves. Now Cora looks a little out of place in her bikini, although she now also wears a transparent metallic wrap around her waist. Another man hovers towards them a foot above the carpet – he is dressed in a perfectly tailored suit, with a fancy hoverbot clamped to his back, which he controls with a small panel strapped to his wrist. He is of older middle age, with dark hair slicked back and a lustrous moustache.

CHARLES B: Welcome, welcome! Why walk when you can fly, I always say. (He hovers closer)
    CORA H: Mr B! What a delight to see you. I was awfully sad when you didn't come to meet us when we arrived!
    CHARLES B: Why Lady Harrington, I would never choose to starve myself of your charming presence. Unfortunately I was detained, and I'll show you the reason presently.
    He hovers towards a large table and Cora and Captain Vernier follow. On the table is a large wooden box.
    CHARLES B: Now this is the reason for my delay! Arrived just this afternoon and I had to be there for the transfer. (He flips open the lid of the box dramatically- a large green glowing gem shines from within)
    CORA H: Why Mr B! It's gorgeous!
    CAPTAIN V: I can see why you asked me to come here, Mr Bankston. Every pirate in the galaxy would want to get their hands on a Sarlian Plasma Opal of that size.
    CHARLES B: Quite! But I didn't ask you here to protect it, Captain. Pirates may have been able to kidnap me when I was on that loathsome commerce planet, but here at my home on this idyllic resort planet, my security bots will be more than enough to protect me and my plasma opal. No, I only asked you here so you could enjoy some well earned respite before your next mission.
    Cora H is leaning close, her face bathed in the green light from the gem. She appears entranced by the plasma opal.
    CORA H: What will you do with it, Mr B?
    CHARLES B: I'm going to start a museum right here! Let people have their sun and sand, and their curiosity tickled as well. This plasma opal be the centrepiece of the new attraction!
    CORA H: Wonderful!
    The sound of breaking glass makes all three turn. Six figures have rappelled down the building on ropes and smashed through the window. The figures are dressed in dark clothes with masks covering their face, but blue skin can be seen in gaps where the mask does not fit their face properly. All are holding large laser rifles pointed at the people in the room.
    CAPTAIN V: (reaching for his pistol) Pirates!
    CHARLES B: (stabbing at the panel on his arm, which makes sad, dysfunctional beeps) My defence network! It's been hacked!
    PIRATE 1: (pointing rifle at Cora H's head) Stay right where you are Captain, or your lovely assistant here gets a new breathing hole.
    CAPTAIN V: (hesitates but stops reaching for his pistol) You'll n...

With a bright flash of white, the display turned off.
    “Hey! That was just getting interesting!” yelped Hart.
    Brandis stood at the wall panel, her hand on the controls, looking very grumpy. “Hart, we're half an hour from a hostile Floran planet, where we're supposed t' be rescuing that,” Brandis stabbed finger at the now-empty display “cornball hack of an actor, and we have no idea what we're going to do when we get there! Planning that kind of stuff is your job.”
    “I was just relaxing. It helps me think.” said Hart, sounding upset.
    “You've been relaxing for eight episodes now! Really, I don't know how you can even stand that stuff. I left after the first two.”
    “We didn't have TV growing up.” Hart crossed his arms, in a huff. “No doubt you did. Some us weren't so technologically privileged.”
    “I'd hardly call endless repeats of 'Big Ape and the Seven Dwarf Planets' and 'Big Ape and the Beanstalk' and all the rest of the Big Ape stories quality television.” snapped Brandis Then, more softly. “Look, we're going to have all the time in the world to watch telewaves after this, but assuming this Captain guy isn't already spread on some Floran's toast, if we stuff up his rescue, then how are you going to watch that garbage knowing you had a hand in offing tha main character?”
    Hart hesitated, as though thinking of a good comeback. “Good point.” he said grudgingly, as he stood up, brushing popcorn off his knees and getting ready to plan a rescue.

joedanger likes this.
  19. Trowzers

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

From orbit, the planet seemed to glow green like the plasma opal in the episode of Dread Pirate Hunter. The Floran planet was very sparsely populated, and every square inch of land was covered with lush rainforest.
    “Galaxa Leonis 349.” Hart mused. “It seems like years since we were last here. But it was only a week or so.”
    Brandis rubbed her chin hairs thoughtfully. “Ya know, I even had ta look up the name of the planet. I'd totally forgotten why we even came here in the first place.”
    Hart looked at her, surprised. “It was another courier delivery, of course. Why else would we be going anywhere?”
    “Yeah, I guess. But once that Zolbeast jumped us, I clean forgot all about that. First delivery I didn't make.”
    “I wouldn't worry about that, Brandis. It's likely the whole delivery was a ruse by the Florans to capture fresh meat.”
    That made Brandis chuckle. “Ha! An I used to do pizza delivery, too. Never figured one day I'd be the delivery!”
    Hart gave a rare static-filled laugh, but soon became more serious. “So you still haven't heard back from Gofast?” They had been working freelance for Gofast Galactic Couriers for the last six months. Brandis had sent a message to their employer days ago to let them know what had happened, but they had not replied.
    “Nah, I guessed their peeved we messed up their 99.99% successful delivery record, even if it was because we were taken prisoner and our ship blown up. But I figure if we get the cargo bay cleaned out some day, and can offer to carry more than the Drifter, they'll take us back again.”
    Hart tapped at a display panel. “Well, until then we have plenty of fuel and food to keep us going. But I assume if we rescue this Captain he's going to want his ship back again.” He looked at Brandis carefully.
    Brandis bit her lip and shrugged. She guessed she would try to get a job on board the Tau Ceti – Big Ape knows it could do with a good clean out – but it wasn't something she really wanted to think about. The universe was harsh place, especially for a homeless Free Ape.
    “Let's just get on with it.” she said eventually. It was, after all, the right thing to do.

An hour later, they stood in the branches of a tall tree looking down over a shallow valley.
    “It's just as I thought.” said Hart, peering through the vegetation. “They've increased their security since we were here last. There are fortifications and tethered Zolbeasts just about everywhere.”
    Brandis was clutching the tree branch a little desperately, despite the climbing shoes that held her to the trunk securely. She had cursed under her breath all the way up the tree trunk, wondering how in the name of the Libraries her ancestors could have lived like this. “All I see are leaves. How are you seeing all that stuff?”
    In answer, Hart just tapped at his oculars and kept gazing out through the leaves.
    “There doesn't seem to be a way to breach their defences with just the two of us. They have sentries posted everywhere.” He sighed. “It looks like we'll have to use the second plan after all.”
    “All righty!” said Brandis, sounding much more cheerful. Raiding one base a week was enough, she had decided, especially when it involved nearly getting killed by a parasitic vine or shot at, or blown up, like the last time.

Plan two was simple enough, but it took them almost three hours to find their quarry.
    They approached it carefully from downwind, checking carefully to ensure it was alone before Hart crept as close as possible. Brandis stood further back in the bushes holding a pistol, acting as backup. Although Hart had not outright said she was too clumsy for this kind of stealthy mission, Brandis knew that she was better off not even trying. Even concealed by branches and leaves, she was too scared to move her feet in case she snapped a twig.
    At last, Hart stood only metres behind his prey. He tensed, anchoring his feet carefully in the soft ground, then flung his arms broadly, swinging the stun net over the Floran who had been quietly fishing in the river. The net expanded into a perfect circle as it sailed completely over the Floran and landed with a 'plonk!' in the river.
    “Cogs!” cursed Hart, as the startled Floran turned towards him.
    Fortunately, Brandis' stress meant she was on a hair trigger, and a blast from her stun pistol struck the Floran in the chest before it could utter a sound.
    Hart and Brandis approached the unconscious Floran. Hart was still cursing under his breath.
    “Hey, don't be so hard on yourself, Sparky. The sprout's unconscious, either way.”
    Hart shook his head. “But the stun pistol means he'll be out for hours instead of minutes, so we'll have to wait to question him. I don't know what I did wrong – the next expanded just like I practised, it's just that my aim was off...”
    Brandis picked up the long rope that tethered the stun net and began to haul it back in. Then she began to laugh. “Well, at least we'll have a good lunch while we wait.” she said, as she hauled in a net full of silvery fish.

Skip to next chapter ->

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
    joedanger likes this.
  20. joedanger

I can't wait for more :coffee: