1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED The Tabula Rasa - Unified Crafting Bench for Mods

Discussion in 'Crafting and Building' started by LowestFormOfWit, Dec 12, 2013.

1. LowestFormOfWit

LowestFormOfWit Pangalactic Porcupine

THE TABULA RASA
    [​IMG]

Here, Sir Edwin Vanderbolt inspects The Tabula Rasa.​

== DESCRIPTION ==

The Tabula Rasa is designed to be a unified crafting bench for mod content.
    Modders can tag their recipes with "mod" to add it to the tablet, allowing players to access the additional content without player.config patches.

== INSTALLATION & USAGE ==

1. Extract "tabularasa.rar" into the main Starbound folder.
    2. Modify 'Starbound/[platform]/bootstrap.config' to point to this folder in addition to the default assets folder, as well as any other mods to be loaded. (
    2a. An example bootstrap file is included in the same directory as this readme. (Also, [Platform] in the filepath refers to your operating system.)
    3. Verify that the "tabularasa" folder is in the main 'Starbound' directory. If not, you may have extracted the rar to the wrong folder.
    4. Once the folder has been placed correctly, launch Starbound.
    5. On any character, place a torch in any cooking appliance* (e.g. campfire or similar) and hit craft to create the Tabula Rasa.
    6. Place the tablet like any object. It can now be used to craft any other items tagged "Mod" (How to do this described below). We have included an example item in the recipes list, as well as the tablet itself, in the "mod" category.

== ADDING A RECIPE TO THE TABULA RASA ==
    1. Add the "mod" keyword to the recipe group list.
    1a. For example: to make the 'stonepickaxe' item, change this line in 'stonepickaxe.recipe':

"groups" : [ "craftingtable", "tools", "all" ]
    To:
    "groups" : [ "mod", "craftingtable", "tools", "all" ]

2. That's it!

This information is all pasted from the included README file. Please do go over it despite these part being pasted here.

== CREDITS ==

SnoopJedi - Coding and Concept
    LowestFormOfWit - Spriting and QA

2. Whitlinger Doodle Do

Whitlinger Doodle Do Pangalactic Porcupine

I really like this. This is a brilliant little idea you have here, I'm honestly a bit surprised that nobody did this sooner.

Needless to say, when my starbound installation resembles my minecraft installation because of the mods, this will be where I go.

3. SnoopJeDi

SnoopJeDi Void-Bound Voyager

Oh, butts! It looks like LowestFormOfWit's attachment didn't quite take. I've attached the V1.0 release to this post (sorry LowestFormOfWit, couldn't get ahold of you on IRC when I saw this just now, tried to patch the readme with your better instructions). We're also on the mod repository now! Update coming tonight (12/12)

I've also included an additional graphical aid to the installation instructions in case people are confused about where the folder should go. Hope you enjoy, guys!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  4. Tehevilone

Tehevilone Space Spelunker

If anyone needs any help with this, you can normally find someone who knows how to use it on the modding IRC.

5. DXLelouch

DXLelouch Void-Bound Voyager

is that a PS4?

6. Kneesocks

Kneesocks Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Does this work in multiplayer?

7. Tehevilone

Tehevilone Space Spelunker

It will work in multiplayer if the server has the files available, just like every other mod. However, if you go into multiplayer and place items over where it would be if it existed in the server, it will disappear in single player.

8. SnoopJeDi

As Tehevilone said, the tablet should be visible and functional if the client and server both have the Tabula Rasa installed. There may be discrepancies if they do not have the same recipes, however. I haven't tested this, but I suspect the game draws recipes from the client-side, not from the server side, so that it may just result in an asynchronous list of recipes.

When we get the proper packaging/PAK system that Chucklefish have promised us in IRC, I will ensure that Tabula Rasa is compatible with it, so that the mod can be installed only on the server and distributed to clients from there.

Kneesocks likes this.
  9. Furinex

Furinex Phantasmal Quasar

Wish I could get the download link to work!! Been trying all day. Any chance for an alternate?!

10. SnoopJeDi

We're gonna put up a revised version with some file cleanup tonight, I'll post in this thread once that's done.

11. Furinex

Btw this is a fantastic idea. All mods should use this format.

12. SnoopJeDi

The file-fix version is posted on the original reply, as well as on the mod repo. I've also hosted it on FileSmelt in case you cannot download it in either of these places because of the issues the site has been having.

SuicideBunny likes this.
  13. devrock3033

devrock3033 Aquatic Astronaut

i used the tabula rasa to make a wiring station, then, using the sparkz mod as well, i defeated the robot in a lava trap!

14. Furinex

I've downloaded and am currently using roughly 30 mods. Most of which did not come with TR support. I have modified each mod to now support TR with ease. Player.config editing is awful and this solution is very easy to implement.