1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The Refinery And How It Hurts The Game

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by MiniKnog Agent, Dec 16, 2013.

1. MiniKnog Agent

MiniKnog Agent Astral Cartographer

Just me or does the Refinery do more harm than good to the general state of the game?

* As you advance through the tiers, you still encounter lesser ores which are at this point nothing but Refinery fodder

This changes so drastically that pre-Refinery you had to scrape by to gather a measly 1.000 Pixels, while with the Refinery I am finding myself swimming in tens of thousands of Pixels.

I don't think it is really balanced. Perhaps make it a much more advanced technology and allow us to sell stuff to NPCs to compromise? I dunno.

2. TheCourier

TheCourier Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If/when we are able to sell to NPCs they will have to drastically alter the value of items. A propeller from one of the airships is worth 14 400 pixels. Each airship has 12 propellers. At this point in development once you reach the higher tiered planets you don't really need pixels for much but messing around. I'm sure it will be tweaked in the future.

3. J-block

J-block Pay it Forward

That's exactly what it's supposed to do, I don't understand what harm is being cause.

Aquillion, hansmorg, Ebkrem and 12 others like this.
  4. Seahorses

Seahorses Big Damn Hero

I would've taken my life if not for the refinery. Please don't take it away.

hansmorg, RACTA, Arias90 and 16 others like this.
  5. Zisi

Zisi Phantasmal Quasar

I think its safe to assume that the economic component to the game will be overhauled pretty dramatically once vendors are fleshed out.

6. MiniKnog Agent

MiniKnog Agent Astral Cartographer

I never said "it doesn't do what it is supposed to do".

I said that what it is supposed to do imbalances the game.

Pixels go from a valuable resource to a triviality.

7. TheCourier

TheCourier Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I never really found pixels to be a valuable resource in the sense I was never really at a loss for them. Only time I was really in a bind was building the robot. Any other time I made plenty through exploring.

Kenshkrix likes this.
  8. J-block

J-block Pay it Forward

I said it's doing exactly what it should be. Re-read the post to get the context right.

I still don't understand how it imbalaces the game, and why pixels even matter for them to become any more "trivial"

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
    cyberspyXD and CJx101 like this.
  9. Terashi

Terashi Pangalactic Porcupine

>imbalance
    >beta

Nothing to see here.

Ebkrem and Deathsdoll like this.
  10. Xendhaius

Xendhaius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is true even without the Refinery, so I fail to see your point. The problem isn't the Refinery, the issue lies with the lack of things that utilize pixels. You run out of stuff to use them on and then you start to accumulate a vast and utterly useless sum of wealth.

I can make 20k or more per level 10 planet by just killing enemies while exploring the surface looking for legendary weapons in chests, clearing dungeons & castles, etc...

The other side of that is, much like pixels; ores lose purpose outside of the Refinery.

So again, the Refinery isn't the problem.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
    PrincessMeatloaf likes this.
  11. J-block

J-block Pay it Forward

Good discussion bro, totally helping the game by going "LOL BETA"
    Stop making absolute shit posts.

Ebkrem, Garatgh Deloi, Lecic and 17 others like this.
  12. VSwift

VSwift Void-Bound Voyager

I'm fairly certain the Refinery was added to give players an incentive to continue collecting ores inferior to their equipment tier. It's a completely optional system you can utilize to make collecting Pixels (which will always be useful for something) a little easier. As is stands, yes, things are imbalanced as to make post-Refinery gameplay ridiculously lucrative.

As others have mentioned, since we can't yet sell unwanted items to vendors, the Refinery is sort of pulling a "double duty" to make up for it. I reckon within a month this issue will be rendered null and void and instead we'll all be ranting about how terrible buying/selling ratios are. :p

Tiranoi and Jurrasic like this.
  13. Vahnkiljoy

Vahnkiljoy Ketchup Robot

I don't see anything being hurt by an option, you don't HAVE to use it.

reebook and NightofError like this.
  14. Cosmin Negoita

Cosmin Negoita Phantasmal Quasar

The refinery does not imbalance the game to be honest. It's just a pure natural way to monetize valuable ores/materials you find. As others said, pixels are just important for armors/weapons. When you reach end-game, all you'll need pixels for is to mess around, as some stated already. Taking into consideration that it takes plenty of time to mine some good stacks of materials and the fact that furniture in the printer as somehow expensive, I think that the monetary system is balanced enough.

Let's not forget that even when you'll be able to sell stuff to NPCs, if this will ever be done, I'm pretty sure you won't be able to sell anything to any NPC you find, like it happens in Terraria. "Hi! I sell potions. Those ores and weapons and snow blocks and everything in between seem interesting, you can sell them to me!"...

HellFireSoul and NightofError like this.
  15. Kenshkrix

Kenshkrix Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm guessing that the latter parts of the game that we haven't seen yet are supposed to be more about exploration and building and such, and that the early game is more about working your way up into the age of advanced technology, however once said advanced technology makes an appearance I imagine your pixels will be a more valuable resource.
    Consider that this is a beta, not in the "lol beta" way, but in the "late game content doesn't exist yet" way.

Then consider that some of the species start out basically with just a spaceship and no resources or fuel, and no supplies beyond a busted sword, some seeds and torches, and a matter manipulator. It makes sense that you'd first have to build up your capital before you can live a life of leisure.

16. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

I completely agree
    Later in development Refinery will do more harm then good. It basically devalues pixels more and more. Hence inhibiting any need exploration to gain more pixels. Its better to have the refinery make improved ores then pixels.

17. NightofError

NightofError Pangalactic Porcupine

What? Scrape by to earn 1K?

No, no, no, and no. If you go mining (and I mean deep) you find loads upon loads of those containers that have quite a lot of Pixels in them ( the large ones even in the 16 + Pixels range) as for the sector I am referring to it's the Alpha sector.

Also fighting monsters gives you 10 Pixels per monster, it is balanced as it is and should not be changed in my opinion.

Edit: As for the idea that it will ruin the idea of exploration, the many costs of Pixels for items ( not including the scanner ) will most likely be raised higher in the future, and more items will probably be added which will as well cost more.

Cosmin Negoita likes this.
  18. Cosmin Negoita

Cosmin Negoita Phantasmal Quasar

Good point for the pixel packs as well :proper:

NightofError likes this.
  19. RizingAzure

RizingAzure Orbital Explorer

I'm not sure the OP is entirely valid. I make more pixels killing monsters then I do refining ore at the moment. Any ores I do get, I need to make stuff, which doesn't leave me with much to refine.

x2madda and NightofError like this.
  20. Vahnkiljoy

Vahnkiljoy Ketchup Robot

Pixels devalue pixels best not to gather anymore.