[Outdated] The Proper Way to Install Mods

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by SethKipz, Dec 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nihil K'ri

Nihil K'ri Void-Bound Voyager

To everyone launching the game and hanging at the loading screen, launch the server instead. It gives a live feed of the files and errors and reports all errors immediately without worrying about opening a log file.

Cayote likes this.
  2. Ryverwynd

Ryverwynd Aquatic Astronaut

I dont see a mod folder in my starbound folder

3. Rico Penguin

Rico Penguin Star Wrangler

You make it yourself :).

4. Brentc333

Brentc333 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

One question... if I made a new item, in this case I made a copy of the copper pickaxe and named it "brentcopperpickaxe" and it's a completely different item under assets, when I make the path for the mod when I package it do I make the path to wherever the file is... because I had to manually make it under the items, tools, copper and put it in with those, I made a new recipe, and I made a new edit to the player.config file so I could make a new recipe I could craft in the start... how do I path to my completely new item if it has three different locations (player.config, the items/tools/, and the assets/recipes/starter/plain)

5. Marcfyre

Marcfyre Phantasmal Quasar

I'm currently using Windows 8.1, but the only folders I see s[ecifically labeled are two for Linux. Is it win32 or what?

6. Halberde

Halberde Star Wrangler

Yes, win32 is what you're after, and will work. I'm running win 8.1 as well, and it works with mine :D

7. Travis178

Travis178 Void-Bound Voyager

does this still work on v. offended koala?

8. DXLelouch

DXLelouch Void-Bound Voyager

yes infact its the only way to get modinfo mods to work with non modinfo mods

9. starbrad

starbrad Void-Bound Voyager

I've been just putting the contents into the mod folder but nothing works. Mods that have recpies, etc. Also I add the line to the playerconfig file (made backup) and add a new playerconfig to the mod folder (like some of the mods come with) but still nothing. The ship redesigns work but I can never get new blueprints or items to work.

10. Eathed

Eathed Pangalactic Porcupine

This method doesn't really work any more. Use this one now.

DrBob3002 likes this.
  11. DrBob3002

DrBob3002 Big Damn Hero

Do you know if there are any tutorials for the new method? That thread seems like just an example of the new method and doesn't really show the way to implement it.

12. Eathed

I don't think there is really a tutorial for it. I guess I could try to do a short one here.

I'm going to call the mod "myMod" for this.

1) In the mods folder, create a folder called myMod.
    2) In the myMod folder, create a file called myMod.modinfo
    3) In the myMod.modinfo file, add in
    Code:
    {
      "name" : "myMod",
      "version" : "Beta v. Offended Koala",
      "path" : ".",
      "dependencies" : []
    }
    "name" is the name of your mod.
    "version" is the version of the game. You can find this in the bottom right corner of the main menu.
    "path" is where the mod is located. If you set it up following this tutorial, just leave it as "."
    "dependencies" are what mods are needed for your mod to work. If you have a dependency, add it in quotes in the square brackets. If you have multiple, have the mod names in quotes separated by a comma.

4) Drop your mod files into the myMod folder.

That's pretty much it. If you want to see an example of it in use, I attached one of the mods I made. You would drop that file into the mods folder and then extract it. The mod itself isn't anything impressive, but it should give you an idea of how it works.

Attached Files:

DrBob3002 likes this.
  13. starbrad

starbrad Void-Bound Voyager

Cool I tried that with a few others (modinfo file) still couldn't get them to work, I'll just hold off your larger ships are cool btw much more room than the standards.

14. Ominethious

Ominethious Supernova

well, fucking brilliant... i did what your tutorial asked, and i cannot fucking fix the Bootstrap... FUCKING brilliant... T-T

15. Eathed

What do you mean? With the new system you don't need to modify Bootstrap. If you are trying to revert it to the original, use this.
    Code:
    {
      "assetSources" : [
        "../assets"
      ],
      "modSource" : "../mods",
      "storageDirectory" : ".."
    }

16. Ominethious

Ominethious Supernova

thx... i was on my Ipod when i looked all this up, so it didnt say, "Outdated" on it and im a complete dumbass for not reading the install instructions for the mod... x-x sorry.

17. DarkStopDying

DarkStopDying Intergalactic Tourist

where is my player config file?

18. Eathed

In the starbound\assets folder.

19. Marcfyre

Marcfyre Phantasmal Quasar

Now that the Koala is Angry, I am unable to launch Starbound. I deleted the Creative Mod from /mods (and put it on desktop) and the game crashed when I click singleplayer. Suggestions?

20. DarkStopDying

DarkStopDying Intergalactic Tourist

Can you copy the ended of your error log?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.