1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

The music

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slurmp, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Slurmp

Slurmp Tentacle Wrangler

Who else really likes the music? I think it fits perfectly with the game, I haven't heard a track yet that doesn't blend really well with the setting/enemies/things happening on screen/etc.

Is there an OST for the game anywhere? I'd love to have it in my collection.

• Vahnkiljoy

Vahnkiljoy Ketchup Robot

There IS an OST you can purchase, the music is also within the AUDIO folder, they are all .ogg files to btw.

• Daimera

Daimera Cosmic Narwhal

OST album is here!

• onus

onus Master Chief

I adore the music. some of the best game music ever.

• AstronautDown

AstronautDown Title Not Found

Thanks, Daimera, for posting the link to the OST ;) And thanks everyone else who has said many nice things about the music already since the kickstarter! You guys are really great! :)

Btw, if you're going to use the .ogg files, you can still visit the link to get the names of the tracks :p

/Chris

Ersatz and Stovepipes like this.
            • Stormquake

Stormquake Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Coalescence, the theme of the final stage, it just gives me all these ridiculous chills that I can't explain. It's my second favorite song in the album though. Chanson d'Automne is simply too good and is one of the finest and most fitting songs I think I've ever heard in a game ever.

• Stovepipes

Stovepipes Void-Bound Voyager

Risk of Rain is one of those games where I ALWAYS play with sound on, just because of how ridiculously polished the soundtrack is. The different tracks are varied in genres but constantly goes back to elements introduced in the main theme, which I absolutely love.

• AstronautDown

It's touching when people express love for this track, it's very personal and very dear to me. I had my doubts if it would fit with the game or with the rest of the OST but it worked out alright after all... :) Thank you!

onus, Ersatz and Inkheart like this.
                  • needsomemiracle

needsomemiracle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Now that I think of it, I've beaten the game three times and haven't heard "Intermission" anywhere.
                    HMMM.

• Dehlak

Dehlak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

All I'll say for "Intermission" is: BEGINNING OF PART II ..
                      :ninja:

PS: There should've been one more period at the end for it to be a proper ellipsis, Chris.
                      :speechless:

• AstronautDown

That is correct. It's just part of the OST album.

YES! You're the first one to notice as far as I know! Send me an e-mail with the actual text please: ghostnotes.cc@gmail.com
                        P.S. There should've been one more period if it was meant to be an ellipsis... Didn't you miss the same two dots on "Chanson d'Automne.."? It's a little message to someone ;)

• Burby

Burby Phantasmal Quasar

Wait, so it was one of those files like "Look" by Venetian Snares? I never knew how to get something like that to work, but I did have a hunch.

• AstronautDown

I'm not familiar with the particular track but it could very well be. What I did is hide some text in the audio spectrum by "painting out" some frequencies off of white noise. That's what's creating the moving sound in the audio (bsically the absence of frequencies). To see the actual text you need an offline (non-real-time) spectral analyzer. There are several but a free one can be found in Audacity.

Burby likes this.
                            • Nanodeath

Nanodeath Space Hobo

AstronautDown and Dehlak like this.
                            • Burby

Burby Phantasmal Quasar

Yes, that's indeed what I was thinking of. For comparison, here's Look. In spoiler tag so that it'll take up less space.

• DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

I LOVE Coalescence.

Honestly, the entire RoR soundtrack makes me think of Cave Story (and a bit of Dust Force, if you know that game). Especially that final level.

I think Cyclogenesis is another favorite of mine.

... crap, now I'm rattling off a list in my brain of all the ones I like. (Hint: it's all of them.)

• needsomemiracle

needsomemiracle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh man. Oh wow. Yeah, I've heard that about Aphex Twin, that he inserted his face in the frequency response of some of his tracks.
                                  Never would've guessed to check that here though.

• Biomatter

Biomatter Subatomic Cosmonaut

Holy cow. Chris - you did an amazing job on the soundtrack. I love it so much. I can't really put into words how much I appreciate it, and by extension, you for making it. Sometimes I play the game just because the music starts running through my head and then I get the urge to play :p Seriously, fan-fucking-tastic job.

• AstronautDown

Exactly. This particular one (cats) is created slightly differently, by importing the image to a software that "translates" it to sound (I'm guessing Adobe Audition or Photosounder), but the idea is the same.

Thank you guys, seriously. You and everyone else who's been so kind about the music... It's overwhelming :)

onus likes this.
                                      • onus

onus Master Chief

I honestly think the music is what puts the game over the edge. It turned a great game into a stellar game. I am sure that I will be listening to this for decades to come! You are the man!

AstronautDown likes this.