The Intergalactic Quantum Tunnelling Space Vault

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Alvin Flummox, May 17, 2012.

1. Alvin Flummox

Alvin Flummox Existential Complex

The Intergalactic Quantum Tunnelling Space Vault© - The everyday solution to your multiverse banking needs.

Assuming that characters are able to enter more than one universe (much like Terraria's system) we're going to need to be able to access our important items without having to go back to the universe they were orginally stored away in (ala Piggybank). I thought the best way to do this would be to have a Vault Operator npc who, once you've rescued him/her/it, will head back to your ship and set up their vault for you to use.

Talking to the npc would bring up an inventory. Any items that you place in there will be accessible from any server/universe that you go into with that character. As long as wherever you are has a vault operator, they will always bring up your characters stored away items when you talk to them. Each character you make will have their own separate bank vault.

The bank vault could also be upgradeable over time, allowing you to store more items as you progress. If you started with only space for 5 items you could perhaps upgrade to a final number of around 30 spaces.

My main reasoning behind this is it would make more sense to me than having a multiverse-spanning item that you can just place anywhere.

As a side note there could also be a specific universe linked version so that you can store your items in a more logical way than just having loads of chests. These items would not travel to other game worlds however.

Bombzero, xboy777 and Zailiner like this.
  2. Croccy

Croccy Void-Bound Voyager

I don't know, this means that you could bring end game items to a server and noobs would be overwhelmed.
    BUT, this would be a great idea for PVP servers

3. Alvin Flummox

It's sort of been confirmed that server options should allow them to control this, so some servers may only allow newly made characters to enter them. Each character you make would have a separate bank (re-worded the main post a bit to make it more obvious), so they wouldn't be able to bring in items from their other characters in these servers :) Yeah it would just be so that if you wanted to take a few different sets of armour and weapons, or some building materials around with you you'd be able to!

xboy777 likes this.
  4. Croccy

Croccy Void-Bound Voyager

Now it sounds much better, maybe you could upgrade it to hold more items.

Alvin Flummox likes this.
  5. Alvin Flummox

Yeah, maybe start with not very many spaces and then pay to upgrade it over time as you progress in the game :)

6. xboy777

xboy777 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Maybe the Vault Keeper NPC requires certain materials (and a fee, gotta keep business alive you know) that he/she/it needs to create these "spaces" to preserve your items. After all, I'm sure it doesn't just go into some cardboard box. Not to mention that if there was a vault in the ship to begin with, why would you need a person to manage it?

These spaces/cubicles could be made out of some rare metal or space-friendly material that can be found on certain planets but isn't too rare and some type of special liquid that holds your items in place while preserving them. Here's the perfect example of this type of liquid/gell:
    [​IMG]

Alvin Flummox likes this.
  7. Alvin Flummox

Haha yeah, slightly more hightech than a cardboard box I'd hope. Although only the vault keeper knows ;) I definitely agree with upgrading the amount of space over time though. And it was more a, you rescue him, he sets up the vault in return kind of deal. So yeah there wouldn't be a vault before you'd saved the relevant npc.

I was more going for just a vault, as it's mainly for weapons and armour and things that wouldn't require a fridge hehe. That is an awesome picture though. I love looking at futuristic product concepts!

xboy777 likes this.
  8. xboy777

xboy777 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That makes sense but I was mainly talking about how this NPC could have a vault on your ship when there wasn't one before. It's not really important though because I am just being picky about specifics right now lol.

I'm glad you liked the picture. It said that this concept might come to fruition around 2020 I believe but who really knows lol. And I didn't mean it for a fridge, I just showed that pic for the gel type material that could make up the vault. Since it most likely will end up similar to your in-game inventory it will most likely have single square slots to hold each item. So it would be a full vault and everything to contain and protect but the gel could be used to preserve any food, health potions, or other organic items you may pick up along the way.

Or it could be used as a fridge bank and be JUST for food, health potions, or other organic items and the vault could be saved for weapons and armor like you said. It just sounds like a massive all-purpose bank for protecting and storing stuff.

9. Alvin Flummox

Dunno, maybe he quantum tunnels one into your ships cleaning cupboard or something.

It's like a lot of things they say we're gonna have in the future though, and then they never happen! Things will definitely be drastically different in 30 years one way or another though. Yeah I guess the vault could be made out of anything! I didn't even really think about it seeing as it was more just you talk to the npc and he deals with your items. So you never really actually see the system hehe. You just shove items into an inventory!

10. We really could use something like this, it would make carrying items much more easy. I do think there should be some restrictions as to what it can carry, though.
    The name sounds like it's something from Aperture Laboratories.