The Inkbound Order

Discussion in 'Hangout Threads' started by Mercenary Lord, Jan 23, 2013.

1. [​IMG]
    ************************​
    The three torches flickered, as a vicious wind rushed through the forest. Three figures, illuminated in the torchlight, clasped their hands behind their backs, looking into the central fire of the clearing. The blaze was a curious creation. Whereas most flames were a bright orange, burning with an intense light, the fire before them was a dull red, as if stained. The heat was no less warming, and the glare no less blinding, but the dull color of the fire exuded an almost mystical aura.

One of the figures stepped forward. an intricate insignia was carved into the cloak he wore, one shaped like an ancient letter. He clutched a vial of some dark liquid in his right hand. The figure, with his dark gold cloak, turned to the others. His shrouded gaze fell upon one of the others, marked with the insignia of a Boar.

"Are we prepared, my friends? There is no going back, should we continue." He glanced at the other figure, with a strange symbol emblazoned on his cloak. there was no response, and so the first figure turned back to the dark fire, unstopping the vial.

He upended the vial over the fire. The contents spilled out in a slow, languid fashion, as if reluctant to change fate. And then, drop by excruciating drop, the dark liquid fell upon the fire. Each little black sphere had a profound effect on the blaze: the last drop fell upon a midnight-black flame.

The vial shattered, and the three torches, arranged in a triangle around the flare, winked out, extinguished by a sudden, invisible gust. A flash of blinding light ruptured from the vial-pourer's right hand, blinding him momentarily. When the light finally dissipated, the letters 'I' and 'O' lay etched into the top of his palm, intricately inscribed. He turned to his companions, and reached out.

The light flashed through the air, striking each on the hand as well. The three torches slowly flickered back to life, and when the first figure turned to the fire, nothing remained but a neat pile of ash. He looked back at his comrades, and raised his hand.

“My friends.” He spoke carefully, deliberately. “We have chosen our fate. We are the first of our kind, the first of the Inkbound Order.” He raised his hand to the sky, and a light burst from the runes, soaring into the sky. Lighting the beacon.

Sounding the call.

Welcome, everyone to The Inkbound Order! We’re a group of literary-minded folk, banding together to provide a haven where you can enjoy yourself with others that share your interests and/or tastes. You can rest, relax, and be sheltered from the harsh winds of the Internet by this sacred hall. Anyone that’s interested in literature is welcome to apply. That means poets, authors/writers, roleplayers, and any other profession similar will be jauntily greeted under the same roof.

The Inkbound Order is multi-purposed -- We review works, provide advice, share thoughts and concepts, constructively critique, give ideas, refine ideas, discuss writing policies and rhythm, and have any random discussions we think of. We’re determined to be a close-knit group, so don’t be afraid to speak loud and speak proud. We’ve likely experienced most of the things you have, so have no inhibitions here.
    __________________________________________________________________________________​
    Rules
    Standard Starbound Forum rules apply, but other than that, the Inkbound Order won’t really be all that restrictive. Each person who is accepted will be trusted to know how to behave.

***​
    Ranks
    Each accepted member gets a custom title, and I will create a unique signature for them to brandish. Each member will be identified by their title when required. In this sense, The Inkbound Order does not have a specified ranking system, as all members are considered almost entirely equal. Of course, as there is always need for some modicum of order, myself, Nababoo, and Strife, all have...'enhanced' privelges.
    ***​
    Members
    Mercenary Lord - Lector Ficta​
    Nababoo - Freelance Writer​
    Strife - [Title Pending]​
    --​
    Slaticus - The Bloody Nine​
    Keeper- Mythos Scriptor​
    -​
    Vizendel - Lord Regent​
    ***​
    Application Process
    1. First, state your desire to join Inkbound Order, or, if you were invited, simply respond to the PM we'll have sent you.
    2. Second, the Founders will chat with you for a while, just to get to know you.
    3. After we've done a bit of that, we'll send you a message detailing two writing prompts for you to...write about. We'll use these submissions as a sort of benchmark for you.
    4. After completing both prompts, send your creations to us (via PM), and we'll start looking them over.
    5. You'll be contacted with the results of your whole application process, which is decided by a vote.
    6. And that's all there is to it!
    Interested Forumgoers List​
    -​
    Akerick - IP​
    King Piggy - IP​
    Scruffy - IP​
    Gandalf​
    Black ★ Rock Shooter​
    Canine​
    King Toad​
    Vortex594​
    NightStalker​
    Noc​
    ***​
    Inkbound Published Works
    Legend of the Sun - Mercenary Lord​
    Light is a Myth - Anonymous​
    Summer's End - Slaticus​
    -​
    ***​

Noc, King Piggy, Keeper and 1 other person like this.
  2. Well, I have high hopes for this clan. Creatin' a group of all my writing colleagues :DD

Keeper and Mercenary Lord like this.
  3. Black ★ Rock Shooter

Black ★ Rock Shooter Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

:viking: Inkbound for Starbound!

Keeper, nababoo and Mercenary Lord like this.
  4. Vizendel

Vizendel Pangalactic Porcupine

Due to there being a substantial lack of ability to create a Roleplaying thread in the Roleplaying section, and thus making it relatively difficult to Roleplay.

I would like to express my intents to join this Order of writers, as it has long been a hobby and passion to write.
    It would be an honour to join, and I await your response feverishly.

Keeper, nababoo and Mercenary Lord like this.
  5. Sounds like a plan, Vizendel. Expect a PM soon (ish, we might get a little back-logged).

nababoo likes this.
  6. Well, I'll also be editing my signature to add the link to this place within.

Progress on the banners so far?

7. I have everything set up. Are there any links you want on your banner?

8. Yeah, the stuff in my signature.

Also, can it be small, so I can add some more stuff if I wish later on?

9. I can have up to four things set up in the format of my current sig.

nababoo likes this.
  10. I'll have the two dominating the tops and bottoms of the banner, respectively.

Thank y'all for processing this order.

11. The young pilgrim traversed the quiet forest through a once known dirt path, making his way to where the runic light had risen to the heavens. He was answering the call. A deep breath infused the traveller with an inspiring array of natural scents, from the aroma of lovely ponds to the one of stout trees. The man was clad in a mere black robe with a hood covering his head and carried nothing more but a satchel containing his belongings.

Abruptly, a majestic brown owl soared by and made a U-shaped turn several metres behind the wayfarer. Simultaneously, the pilgrim pulled back his left sleeve, revealing a hardened leather bracer where the noble creature then landed on, its sharp talons tenaciously gripping onto it. The man delved in his backpack with his other hand and emerged with a piece of raw meat, which he proceeded to feed the animal with. The bird rapidly accepted the offer and consumed the food, just before opening its wings once again and disappearing amidst the tall trees.

Eventually, the young wayfarer arrived at a clearing, as three figures, each wielding a torch, immediately drew his attention. Not far from their position, near the defoliated area's centre, a fair sized heap of ash could be seen. The pilgrim approached the three individuals, rose his right hand and revealed, carved in an outlandish fashion, the letters 'I' and 'O' etched onto his palm...

---

Hey there, folks. /wave :alien:

Nice one, Merc Lord. Very nice OP. :up: I'm quite glad to be a part of this. n_n

Ah, and very good theme song, too. ;)

12. Nice entrance. ;)

So a bit of a status update: we currently have three people in screening for entrance. We still hammering out how this works, so it might take a little bit longer at first. Just hear with us, and we'll make it work.

nababoo likes this.
  13. Unit 06

Unit 06 Big Damn Hero

I like the idea of this, really nice and well-thought out.

nababoo likes this.
  14. Care to apply, it might be a while, but I can put you on the list.

nababoo likes this.
  15. Strife

Strife Existential Complex

[​IMG]

nababoo and King Piggy like this.
  16. Unit 06

Unit 06 Big Damn Hero

Sure, I'd wish to apply. :rofl:

nababoo likes this.
  17. Scruffy

Scruffy Pangalactic Porcupine

Pursuing through the forest was a cloaked figure heading towards the call. He was concealed in a finely woven green cloak accompanied by a dark brown vest. Slung across his shoulder was a beautifully crafted long bow, modified for modern needs. He bounded across the forest like a hunter chasing his prey. As fast and agile as a cat, he leaped across the stream and onto a branch. Gracefully, he scaled the tree with ease until he overlooked the majestic forest. Up ahead was a small clearing lighted up by a beacon. He set his sights for the clearing and leaped down onto the soft moist ground before continuing his sprint.

Emerging from the shadows into the clearing he strolled out towards the three figures. He bent forward and bowed, "So let it begin, a new age of knowledge."

nababoo likes this.
  18. Well, it appears we can light roleplay some as well :rofl:

Your app will come in a bit, after the people we're interviewing get done with theirs.

19. Gandalf

Gandalf Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Intriguing.

(listens to awesome theme song)

Very intriguing.

nababoo likes this.
  20. The best part of our thread XD

Gandalf likes this.