The Fungals

Discussion in 'The Monster Monster Contest' started by FungusTrooper, Mar 14, 2012.

1. FungusTrooper

FungusTrooper Phantasmal Quasar

I got a bit self-indulgent here, but it's been so long since I sprited I wanted to enjoy myself.

So I deliver to you, the race of Fungals.

The Fungals
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Fungals are a race of sentient mycoids, or mushroom men. Originating as spores on a meteor, when it impacted a planet full of life, the mycoids quickly evolved to become to signature race of the planet.

Technology
    The planet they accidentally invaded was already inhabited by a medium intelligence race. Those that were not extinguished by the meteor impact were quickly infected by the spores, and the Fungals, taking well to being able to walk around inside their new hosts, evolved into a bipedal race without the need to assimilate other races.

They've quickly evolved high-end technology, using the power of their hive-mind. However, several groups seem to have splintered off, and there's somewhat of a civil war on the planet right now. With the race developing more and more dangerous weapons, it's only a matter of time before the planet is destroyed and the cycle begins anew.

Currently, the planet itself has become so hostile that even the Fungals need to wear gasmasks at all times, once their bodies have evolved to true bipedal status.

Combat
    Able to develop and wield advanced weaponry, the Fungals are able to defend their homes quite well. Youngsters, in the form of spores, can be dangerous if breathed in in large enough quantities and not treated, therefore anti-fungal treatments and gas masks are advised, along with strong armour plating, if the planet needs to be explored.

Drops
    Drops could include random tech/fuel for upgrading the spacestation, random vegetative matter for science experiments, and of course, the fungus top hat.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Types
    [​IMG][​IMG]Basic footsoldiers are armed with varying guns and weaponry, and due to their flexible mycoid bodies, can take quite a punch before going down.
    [​IMG][​IMG]Heavy soldiers are armed with fire or explosive weaponry. Although weak to fire themselves, being mostly plant matter, their sheer overwhelming numbers and lack of self preservation don't deter them from using it in combat.
    [​IMG]Funglords rule over factions of Fungals, but far from staying in their deep bases, Funglords like nothing more than taking the fight directly to the enemy. If they are destroyed, a new one will merely grow back in the base.

Destruction
    The only true way to destroy a Fungal infestation is extreme damage to their base or spore area - via fire or explosives, if possible. Even a small amount of Fungal can grow back into a colony, but it may take years for it to grow sentient again.

Scientists have theorized leaving their planet alone may be the best idea - they have not developed space travel yet, and are little threat to other planets - however, if not carefully monitored, the chance that they will one day leave their planet is a terrifying one.

Yen, BurningMercury, Hostail and 15 others like this.
  2. CleverBear

CleverBear Master Chief

3. Vaidred

Vaidred Phantasmal Quasar

Dude, nice Gifs, you should teach me how to make em sometime :D

4. FungusTrooper

All frame by frame with the pencil/pencil eraser in Photoshop :).

5. GigaNova

GigaNova Cosmic Narwhal

This is very awesome, do they actualy make cities of some sort and can you befriend them in some way?

6. FungusTrooper

I like to think they inhabit buildings and caves the planet they land on already have, covering them in organic spore-producing growths. In large caves the growths could form towers and stuff, I suppose.

Since they communicate via pheromones and uh.. other.. plant-like ways, it's hard to directly talk them. If you manage to develop the correct pheromones, however..

7. HombreHongo

HombreHongo Zeromus

oh man two mushroom entries?

8. Joxalot

Joxalot Subatomic Cosmonaut

Sweet onions, these are awesome!
    I love the sprite art and animation, I beleive it's a good addition to the game!

9. jon218

jon218 Phantasmal Quasar

Nice art:up: , i wish i could sprite that well... Can you make them into cream of mushroom soup? :p

10. FungusTrooper

There's another mushroom one? Where's the other one?

And thanks for the comments, guys :D. I never thought of what they'd drop, jon218, but I'm going to go with yes!

jon218 likes this.
  11. xXFallenHawkXx

xXFallenHawkXx Void-Bound Voyager

Nice work!
    I love the whole idea and the art is amazing!

12. ziberoo

ziberoo Spaceman Spiff

cool. They sound like a combination of WH40K orks, mushrooms and a hive mind.

Pigsnot likes this.
  13. Pigsnot

Pigsnot Phantasmal Quasar

OMG DUDE AMAZING!!!!, one word man one word........... JIZZ :cry:

14. FungusTrooper

Yes, actually! As I was writing this I was like "man, all they need to do is be green and go WAAAGH! to be orks".

I used to collect orcs, so maybe that's not such a bad thing.

15. Yen

Yen Pangalactic Porcupine

Aaaah, as a Badger (per my avatar) I must be excited about the mushhhhhhrooooms!

But the Funglords are awesome, and I love how you've put in a little animation for them as well :)

16. ziberoo

ziberoo Spaceman Spiff

Orks are awesome. So no problem there.
    but tyranids are better...

Pigsnot likes this.
  17. oh! Thats awesome! amanita muscaria style mushrooms!
    You should give the funglords a death cap style!
    (sorry for the mushroom talk I;m reading the book Mycophilia)

I just had to make this!​
    1020850.gif
    Just consider it fan art!​

Yen and Bask like this.
  18. Pigsnot

YES, OMG YES, dude TRYANID OWN man, Tryanids FTW!!!
    Their Freaking Awesome! :rofl:

ziberoo likes this.
  19. FungusTrooper

I collect Necron nowadays :).

Pigsnot likes this.
  20. Pigsnot

Necrons are pretty cool too, deffinately one of the strongest races,
    but I their too Roboty :p, I like the Slimy alien-ness of the Tryanids :alien: