1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The elusive platinum has been found!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by SuohKami, Dec 6, 2013.

1. SuohKami

SuohKami Void-Bound Voyager

Yes, that's right guys, I've found it. It seems platinum spawns regularly on the surface of Threat 40 Tentacle planets in Sector X.

Other than this planet I have not seen a TRACE of platinum (except in chests until now.)

Has anyone been to any lower threat level tentacle planets and seen loads of platinum on the surface?

EDIT:
    Also found some on a Threat 40 grasslands. I'll try a Threat 39 next I think.

Here's a pic to prove it.
    [​IMG]
    For some reason I can't make it display the image, so right click and go open in the tab.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  2. Dragonchampion

Dragonchampion Subatomic Cosmonaut

I am pretty sure that might be a bug. Level 40? You'll be onehit from anything. And Platinum is supposed to be tier 3!

3. darethen

darethen Big Damn Hero

I looted some in a chest in a lab on the first planet.
    5 bars

4. Cuchilain

Cuchilain Phantasmal Quasar

So basicly what we are seeing is that due to a massive oversight the best way to get plat is to run level 10 and lower planets along the surface. On a plus side you MIGHT find tech or toys!

EDIT: PS i found a tech chest, looked like a tron chest, sitting in a normal surface fissure that you would probably jump over as you do a hundred such on any planet. What a mind blowing find.

5. Light

Light Void-Bound Voyager

So platinum is essentially needlessly rare, great.

6. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

Now that's imbalance, right there. It needs to be more common on its appropriate planets. Or perhaps it is, but super deep underground?

7. Delusions

Delusions Orbital Explorer

it might be like some ores in minecraft(mods) where its a single block and very rare deeply covered. although few may of found by now its reasonable to assume if any had they may not be forumers.
    But I think its chest only for awhile.
    Perhaps its a hinder point atm during devo, or just not expected yet in this stage of beta.

8. Eilyre

Eilyre Poptop Tamer

Nope, tried finding it when I was stuck at platinum. Digged through several planets, all the way to lava, multiple times. No trace of Platinum. Now when I have finished the game, I find Platinum on Threat 40 planets.

9. Chunkylad

Chunkylad Master Chief

The lack of platinum has pretty much halted any progression in tier 3. I get 1 shot by anything higher than 20 with tier 3 racial leggings and gold chest/helmet. I have more titanium than I know what to do with, but I don't understand why the more common ore is used to make the higher tier armor, and the more rare ore is used to make the base. I would think that titanium would make the base armor and then the rarer ore would make the better of the two sets.

natelovesyou likes this.
  10. Torren

Torren Ketchup Robot

It couldn't possibly be because the only balanced tier is tier 1 at the moment. We're mostly finding game breaking bugs for chucklefish. They're collecting data, not trying to balance all three tiers right off the bat.

11. SethKipz

SethKipz Aquatic Astronaut