1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Community The Agaran Menace

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Razey, Jan 30, 2014.

?

The Agarans: Menace or Misunderstood?

1. Menace

414 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Misunderstood

333 vote(s)
    12.4%
  3. Mushrooms

623 vote(s)
    23.2%
  4. Malevolent, Menacing, Misunderstood Mushrooms

1,319 vote(s)
    49.1%
  1. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

@Type1Ninja You may have seen this already, but you have "Theory 1: Floran Infection" and "Theory 1: Apex Extension ". ((That's two Theory 1's!))

2. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I meant that as "This is an extension of Theory 1." I will change that to make more sense. Thanks for the feedback! :D Anything else dumb that I did?

3. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

Well, G0 Agarans have no particular color. You described them as blue. I'd describe them as "Short, four legged creaturs s with small arms and a large red mushroom cap on the forehead."

4. Lecic

Lecic Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the comic, for anyone who hasn't clicked on the links in earlier posts.

Gotta agree with that first poster, I don't really see what the Agarans actually did to Hiraki and McVicar.

Say hello to the master of mostly-accidental interstellar terrorism, Hylotl Hiraki Corale, and her unwitting accomplice, Human Charlton McVicar.

SirKaldar likes this.
  5. Type1Ninja

And that's why the need to change it from "And that's why you should never date a Hylotl" to "And that's why you should never date an accidental interstellar terrorist biped fish woman."

EDIT: Actually, Coralgrower might be Hiraki's friend, and Hiraki Coralgrower's contact, especially if this cave is the same one Coralgrower stayed in.

6. quantian

quantian Aquatic Astronaut

I wouldn't be so sure, considering that McVicar must have been in contact with Coralgrower beforehand and if the hylotl he saw was her, you'd think he'd recognize her.

7. Type1Ninja

No. They may just have simultaneously (give or take a bit of time. :p) Come to the cave. Also, I was saying that Hiraki was Coralgrower's contact. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

8. beari78

beari78 Guest

STD? I meant the pods become Agaran whilst still inside the Floran mother/father. Or the pods are sprayed with Agaric spores. And I do believe the G0, G1, G2, G3 theory though.

9. Type1Ninja

Ah. I just had the Health class in school, and that... uh... "hypersensitized" me. :p

EDIT: I removed that line. Is that what you wanted? Just making sure.

10. beari78

beari78 Guest

Lol. Same thing will probably happen to me next month. They always hold it out till the end of the year. :rofl:

11. Hawk Novablast

Hawk Novablast Black Hole Surfer

Very true. Kale isn't an idiot, she's not stupid enough to send in what could be our last remaining loyal troopers into war. That's why I'm here.

12. beari78

beari78 Guest

Odd... Upon reading "The Iron Avian" it is stated that Hiraki Corale and Greenfinger are friends.......

13. Cloudhopper

Cloudhopper Weight of the Sky

Then again, the Codex entry is written by Hiraki Corale, and she doesn't seem to be a reliable narrator to me.

Pixelstomp likes this.
  14. quantian

Greenfinger is rather nonstandard for a Floran and the same is true of Hiraki and hylotl.

15. Cloudhopper

Cloudhopper Weight of the Sky

Could you elaborate? I'm not sure what you mean by this.

16. quantian

Greenfinger is fairly contemplative, he considers and weighs out the scales of his decisions before doing things. Rather unlike your standard floran, who's pretty impulsive.

Similarly, Hiraki's carefree and other haphazard in her actions. She is overly inquisitive and friendly, with none of the standard Hylotl condescension.

Basically, they're far from being the standard representative of either of their races.

Lecic likes this.
  17. Thundercraft

Thundercraft Phantasmal Quasar

Lots of interesting observations and theories here. I have not read all 96 pages of this, but what I've read so far suggests that a large number suspect the Agarans infect others or turn Florans into more of their own. I would like to point out these comments:

1) What I've read suggests Agarans tend to imprison Florans in such a way that they are surrounded by lava or at least have it under the prison floor. This suggests that the Agarans want to keep their Floran prisoners uncomfortably warm. Perhaps they are trying to incubate the spores in the Floran so that an infection overwhelms their immune system?

2) Agarans seem to be frequently found using Floran furniture and use Floran materials. Some have been found with big statues of Florans. Doesn't this suggest that they either invade Floran sites or that they infect entire Floran villages, transforming the lot of them? Maybe the initial infection on a planet comes by way of a Typhoid Mary-type infected Floran? Or maybe, as the "kissface" observation suggests, they can spread by kissing or touching a Floran?

3) Perhaps there is a connection with the Drysap? Maybe the stuff acts like a perfect food for the spores, make the infection more likely to take root?

4) Seems pretty far out there, but: Maybe Agarans are just a subspecies of Floran? Perhaps they are what Florans can turn into when overdosed on Drysap and/or subjected to certain environmental factors?

5) Maybe Agarans are either aggressive or peaceful, depending on when in their life cycle an outsider meets one? Maybe young Agarans are violent, while older settlements are peaceful, friendly and safe to visit? Or, perhaps there are other factors involved? Maybe certain groups have become xenophobic (perhaps with good reason)?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  18. Thundercraft

Thundercraft Phantasmal Quasar

Yuck! :x

Also, you make it sound like they're the Starbound equivalent to The Borg:
    "Resistance is Futile."

19. Type1Ninja

Whoa, bro. You just saw something nobody else did. "They try to keep the florans uncomfortably warm... to incubate..." (or whatever you said). That is really interesting. If anyone else agrees with this, tell me, and you, my friend, will have earned a spot in the Agaran Chronicles! :D

RenaldiForumStar likes this.
  20. Villhelm

Villhelm Phantasmal Quasar

Actually it was mentioned quite a lot in the first few pages

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    Pixelstomp and Cloudhopper like this.