1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Community The Agaran Menace

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Razey, Jan 30, 2014.

?

The Agarans: Menace or Misunderstood?

1. Menace

414 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Misunderstood

333 vote(s)
    12.4%
  3. Mushrooms

623 vote(s)
    23.2%
  4. Malevolent, Menacing, Misunderstood Mushrooms

1,319 vote(s)
    49.1%
  1. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

The statue was of a Floran:
    Screen Shot 2015-02-19 at 7.05.42 PM.png

2. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

The Squid likes this.
  3. Runex

Runex Aquatic Astronaut

My new policy for the Agarans is to one:Burn them, and two:loot the charred ruins.

4. Junkoro

Junkoro Void-Bound Voyager

I've never had the chance to get a closer look, because they always try to kill me the second they notice me.
    So, whatever they are, they're dead now.

5. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

Wait, the Agarans attacked you without being provoked?

6. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Nibolas O Anelbozas Spaceman Spiff

I've never had problems with them, they actually nice to me! nicer than a floran! and also they are kind funny to see walking around

7. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

Are you sure they were Agarans? They're not supposed to do that. Way to go, you broke them.

Owl_Stalker likes this.
  8. Junkoro

Junkoro Void-Bound Voyager

They're not?
    I thought it was because I always had a weapon equipped that they'd go insta-hostile on me.
    Yay, I'm terrible.

9. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

Congratulations, you're a mushroom murderer!

10. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

It's ok, it happens to the best of us. ;)

The Squid likes this.
  11. SoopaDerpcat

SoopaDerpcat Pangalactic Porcupine

I usually just pass through their villages without hanging around too long, and they usually don't give any
    trouble, although one time I think a blue-capped one attacked without any apparent provocation. Might have just
    been a guard or something though, since I had a weapon equipped at the time.

According to the Wiki, the Agaran model is actually just a Floran wearing a mushroom hat. Are
    they actually canonically SUPPOSED to be Florans in disguise, or is that just something Chucklefish
    did to streamline the game instead of making a whole new model?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  12. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

A bit of both. It's heavily implied that agarans may have been florans. At the same time, though, most of the npcs are just regular races wearing cosmetics.

Also, I think you're new here... try reading this post.

13. SoopaDerpcat

Thanks, now I know a bit more. Although I'm still not really sure what I think of them...

...so I guess I'll just blow them up whenever possible. That seems reasonable.

14. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

Ok, so I had this theory. Mushrooms are made up of long tubes called 'hyphae.' These are how they obtain food, energy, etc. These hyphae, however, need to be attached to soil, similar to the roots of a plant. What if the Agarans were made up of some kind of mutant hyphae that didn't need to be in the soil, however they still served the same purpose? They sometimes emerged from th Agaran's heads or backs when they needed to eat? What would that look like, you ask?
    Tentacles.
    Suppose the giant fungal pod contains a huge space-Agaran. That would require lots of food, right? After lots of feeding and growing and such, it is finally large enough to release itself from it's home planet and go into space. So, the Agaran finds a nice planet filled with edible snacks to feast on (a.k.a Earth). Ass this planet has ample food, water, and other nutrients, the Agaran extends it's gigantic mutant hyphae and begins to feed.
    Like I said, this is just a theory, and it has lots of holes. But this would still be pretty cool as a boss or something.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
    Owl_Stalker likes this.
  15. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

Does normal fungus (non-mushroom) have hyphae though? We know that the Agarans come in two known forms: a rapidly growing fungus and walking mushroom.

16. SoopaDerpcat

The Squid likes this.
  17. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

Also, not that the double-post police have come, I've realized something about the G0 Agarans. The sentient, walking fungi descend from a fungal colony that uses a specimen's DNA as a template. While humanoids will become G1 and perhaps G2 Agarans, G0 Agarans would probably come from some sort of animal being consumed by the fungus, based on its body structure and appearance.

If this is true, then G0 Agarans are probably not the former states of the G1 Agarans.

The Squid likes this.
  18. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

I'm not sure about normal fungus. It really depends if the fungi is unicellular or not (unicellular have hyphae, single celled don't).

19. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

... It's the return of the fungusquid!

Owl_Stalker and The Squid like this.
  20. BurningSprite

BurningSprite Big Damn Hero

Has anyone seen the new Agarans in the new update? Or was my hiatus for 4 months enough to make me an old timer? Could these possibly be the missing link between G2 and G3? Is it some form of G2.5?

[​IMG]

The Squid likes this.