1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Community The Agaran Menace

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Razey, Jan 30, 2014.

?

The Agarans: Menace or Misunderstood?

1. Menace

414 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Misunderstood

333 vote(s)
    12.4%
  3. Mushrooms

623 vote(s)
    23.2%
  4. Malevolent, Menacing, Misunderstood Mushrooms

1,319 vote(s)
    49.1%
  1. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

Florans on steroids! :O

2. Terode

Terode Industrial Terraformer

Nobody expects the Inquisition.

Villhelm likes this.
  3. swagnumsdaboSS

swagnumsdaboSS Void-Bound Voyager

well after 124 pages of arguing and saying how delicious hylotl's and florans are were done here son lets slaughter the agarans[DOUBLEPOST=1408528693][/DOUBLEPOST]
    i meant so not son

4. LethalShade

LethalShade Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, Florans are plants. Mushrooms infect plants.

So Agarans are just a Floran disease that went horribly wrong ?

5. Lecic

Lecic Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I can't believe we still have people talking about this. We KNOW how Agarans spread now. All was revealed in the tale of the Restless Swallow.

Agaran fungal matter can use a corpse as a food & framework. First, the fungus eats the fleshy bits of the corpse. Then, the fungal matter grows around the left-over skeleton, using the host's DNA as a template for how to do so. Thus, and Agaran is born. Currently, we are certain they can use Avians and Sunborn (should the Sunborn be something non-Avian...), and we know for certain they can't use Apex (or at least the mutated lab testing Apex).

Zebe, Cloudhopper and Owl_Stalker like this.
  6. LethalShade

I know all of that, I just wonder WHERE Agaran comes from, not HOW they spread.

And my idea of a Floran disease is supported by the Fungal pod Glitch and Floran descriptions :

[​IMG]

7. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

It could have only come from two things:
    Evolution
    or
    Genetic Modificationhosre.

Zebe and Cloudhopper like this.
  8. Cloudhopper

Cloudhopper Weight of the Sky

Not sure if you took the wrong picture or what, but those descriptions don't support anything about a disease. All they support is that something's wrong about the pod.

I'm pretty sure that the Sunborn are non-avian, since one of Greenfinger's codex entries has him showing interest in the possibility of dissecting a Sunborn Corpse, and he'd probably not be interested if it were an avian.

9. Casmyr

Casmyr Big Damn Hero

If they 'reproduce' via hijacking skeletons to reform over then what exactly are the functions of the pods? Is that just a less stable method or are the pods for 'making' something different? Also all my interactions with them conclude they are relatively (as far as ai of them goes now) neutral attacking when attacked, but what surprises me is they have virtually no strength for attacking but require comparatively huge amounts to damage, watching them fight local fauna in Sector X is like a strange dance of neither can kill the other.

Also that Floran text; Wat? Florans will jump over lava or almost certain death to stab something, but are afraid of a pod? Am I the only one that finds that rather strange?

Casual note; my Hylotl pretty much complains about Florans when inspecting Agaran 'stuff', if wanted I can get pictures; You'd think the Hylotl would know the difference between a Floran and an Agaran. Considering the whole 'lifetime grudge' 'age old enemies' and such.

(apologies if these have been solved prior, I have skimmed through the discussion and tried to get a good bead on whats what, I love a good mystery)

10. LethalShade

In my opinion, Agaran originated first as a disease that develops on Floran (hence the pods), and then evolved to "use" other races.

11. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

THIS THREAD REFUSES TO DIE.

So I had this thought about the Agarans' Floran prisoners. They keep them in cauldrons or chambers surrounded by lava, which apparently is gorram hot. We already know that Agarans don't attack florans, so I wondered why do they do such thing. Such things as incubation and Agaran reproduction have been suggested, but I say that's not the case. Extreme heat is not good for most fungi, realistically: https://www.emlab.com/s/sampling/env-report-03-2006.html

At this point, I had no idea of why except torture. But then I thought about the drysap dispensers in the one chamber. Drysap does help florans to survive with almost no water, as evidenced by Notes on Drysap 2 (My megapost few pages back should have a link). Maybe the reason is just that the Drysap is there to make the floran survive the heat of the lava.
    That leaves three possible choices:

1. Agarans need the florans warm for some reason to spread their spores afterwards. But it's not likely, as most of the "heat-chambers" don't have a drysap dispenser. I can't imagine what would Agarans do with a dried/mummified floran.

2. Agarans want Florans to use Drysap. Again, only one type of the "heat-chambers" has a drysap dispenser.

3. Florans have Agaran structures in their body due to the Greenfingers experiments, which Agarans don't like. This relates to my previous theory (in the megapost) why the Project Incarcerus led to the Agaran invasion in Apex laboratories. Kinda far-off, but what theories in this thread aren't? This would be another reason why Agarans freaked out. Though no idea how would this be connected to the Hylotl or Thornwing. Not very probable.

And of course, the Agarans might be nothing like that and they love extreme heats. Also, Charlton might be all wrong and them not attacking Florans is just a red herring. :p

*Sparrow. I apologize on behalf of my inner Grammar Nazi.

Greenie might not know what the Sunborns look either. Or, he just might be curious what gods insides look like even if Sunborns are avian.

Fungal pods and Floran pods look very similar. Maybe Hylotl just always expect florans and make a mistake due to their grudges?

This extract from the thread-opening post says that Agarans have been peaceful until "now". I wouldn't say they wouldn't have been peaceful if they actually have been infecting florans as their only origin. A disease can hardly be called "peaceful".
    The pod descriptions don't imply anything else than just the pods are not normal floran pods. Agaran infection may be the cause, but nothing points to that they are have originated as a disease.

12. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Shoot. I just realized that the Starbound forums had stopped giving me notifications about this thread... I missed a lot of good discussion. :confused:

But I'm back now to tell horrible jokes to... ah... be productive? :mwahaha:

The Squid likes this.
  13. Brobuscus45

Brobuscus45 Void-Bound Voyager

• USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST. Reason: Spam/offtopic. Expires: One month.
    NEEDEE DAR EESEN A PISS IN THE JAEGER (wut)

swagnumsdaboSS likes this.
  14. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

Happens often to me too. (I have a feeling i murdered that sentence.) Just remember to manualy check everything once in a while .
    Wait... Aren't jokes productive? (That was a joke!:pfff:)

15. Type1Ninja

I was notified to come back by the fact that someone liked my post ~10 pages back. :facepalm:

16. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

Silence of the Lambs?

Zoophilian likes this.
  17. Type1Ninja

So, what, I just came back to kill the discussion again? T_T
    Wow. :facepalm:

18. Christovski

Christovski Ketchup Robot

There's nothing much to discuss at this point, lets be honest. Until we get more news (whatever happened to the Starbound Chronicle monthly news??) on Agarans there's nothing left to discuss, Zebe's got it pretty well documented.

19. Type1Ninja

True enough.
    And I was there at that point, you know... Then the forums broke and I thought the thread had died. Fully.

The Squid likes this.
  20. Christovski

Christovski Ketchup Robot

I recall, you and Zebe were like peas in a pod as they say. I do miss the days of Owl Stalker ruining the mad theories of new folks though, their hopes and dreams were so crushed, crushed under the weight of evidence.

I'm still killing any Agarans holding captives or pods, and destroying their constructions.
    Any villages I come across I spare, civillians aren't responsible for others' atrocities after all.