The Ability to Rebind Keys

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by R0gueHunt3R, Jan 31, 2014.

1. R0gueHunt3R

R0gueHunt3R Intergalactic Tourist

This is actually a really big deal for me, since I use a different keyboard layout. For some reason, using Colemak on Windows does not change the relative position of the keybindings (i.e. SB still thinks that I am using the keyboard layout that shall not be named; however, chat still uses Colemak - brilliant). This probably has to do with the fact that Colemak is a hack on windows, and thus not very low level.

However, I decided to install SB on one of my Linux dev machines and, frankly, it was a bit of a disaster. The game is pretty much unplayable, because the keys are scattered all to hell. So I can either choose between being able to play the game, or being able to use chat.

And even the first case is not ideal, because the keys are not bound in an intuitive way. For example, inventory is U on colemak. That's not very memorable. The ability to rebind keys would overcome both these issues, and would mean that I don't have to use Windows just to play a game.

Speaking of which, good work on the Linux port, Chucklefish, I was getting a good framerate even on an APU equipped laptop.

2. NexasXellerk

NexasXellerk Void-Bound Voyager

On /r/Starbound there has been word that one of the devs are making it their priority to work on it right now. Just wait until they get it done and push it out with an update.

3. R0gueHunt3R

R0gueHunt3R Intergalactic Tourist