1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Terraria Vs. StarBound (Poll/Argument)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Slice Of Cake, Dec 7, 2013.

?

TERRARIA VS. STARBOUND!

1. Terraria

29.2%
  2. Starbound

83.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tymon

Tymon Cosmic Narwhal

I have to agree with a couple others. Right now? It's like comparing a model T to a 2015 automobile. Starbound is still in phase 1 of it's development cycle. calling it a beta is honestly giving it too much credit, this game should seriously be called an alpha version in my opinion. So comparing what is fundamentally a work in progress prototype to a fully completed game is relatively unfair. Right now Terraria is loads better just due to a lack of bugs, far more stuff to do, and generally better balance. But that might change when Starbound is finally finished.

DrakeWymulf and Stylµs like this.
  2. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

Completely unnecessary flame-bait.

3. Indecisive

Indecisive Void-Bound Voyager

Even so its funny how the results are severly in starbounds favor. That shows how much potential it has, CF just has to unlock it, along with ideas with the community. The only thing from terraria i can say is currently better than SB is the red cloud mod, which basically redid everything and was a community made mod

Serenity likes this.
  4. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

Three more people need to vote for starbound, also yeah starbound looks to be really good.

Starbug likes this.
  5. Starbug

Starbug Guest

No.13 pages of moderate discussion. No flame bait whatsoever.

There are some similarities so it is a fair OP. Many people notice this.

There are many Terraria fans, myself included, looking forward to stable and progression updates which will help further differentiate the two games. I find the early stage of progression to be a bit too similar to Terraria.

Madzai, KyPTeD and Serenity like this.
  6. KyPTeD

KyPTeD Void-Bound Voyager

W
    Specially the music, it isn't as repetitive as in terraria... Because in terraria, after 20hrs of gameplay, the main "forest" theme makes me want to quit the game, it gives me a headache :lod:

MysticMalevolence and Starbug like this.
  7. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

Damn it the pole passed 666 I was going to screen cap it, also yeah not as repetitive the music is.

GeneralMittens likes this.
  8. GeneralMittens

GeneralMittens Subatomic Cosmonaut

I feel like after completing most of what Terraria has to offer, and what Starbound has to offer, I would say Starbound.

Starbound may not be as complete a game, but that creates a specific appeal for me. It's a game that has the opportunity to gain more people and change what is not well accepted, Terraria being a game that is long finished can not make large changes without making half the community peeved. Starbound may peeve some off, but it's part of the Development cycle, You make stuff, have it tested and if it not well received you have a chance to scrap it before launch. I appreciate Terraria for what it is, a fantastic fantasy game about exploration and crafting, but I also appreciate Starbound for what it is, an amazing astro adventure about exploration, crafting and friendmaking.

Some more in depth races may be cool, like Avians who actually hate Florans, Humans acting afraid on Tentacle Biomes, the little things that would make me that much more immersed.

Tamorr and Serenity like this.
  9. Starboundcommunity566

Starboundcommunity566 Pangalactic Porcupine

I play one alpha game right now that could be a complete game. Its only a year old. And recently did a kickstarter where it got enough for all goals. Its pretty solid with a lot of fun and while it has grind, its not pure grind.

While it does not have multi worlds it has inifinite random map generation in 3d with multiple biomes
    In game physics, if you build structures too unsound they collapse
    Hunger, thirst, stamina meters
    Debuff system (sprain, broken leg, dysentery, stun, bleeding, infected)
    3 armor types
    Multiple weapons
    Multi enemies
    Armies of enemies
    Airplane air drops
    Full set of tools, including gas powered rares
    Building multi upgrade system
    Cooking
    Farming
    Crafting with craft timers
    Tons of in game options from length of day, spawn rate, enemy damage, your damage, extra enemy abilities turned on or off.

It just mainly lacks large enemy variety, music, and pre-generated caves, bosses (It does have a sort of mini boss) but it does have pre-generated crumbling cities and regular structures.

So I don't believe its unreasonable to compare an alpha to a completed game. Alhpas have advantages over old games of new know how, ability to be more lazy with optimizing or working within limitations since computers will be much better that when the full game was created, And really any ideas that were developed that make new games better, example starbound not needing the terraria hammer the remove a back wall.

10. KuramaFox

KuramaFox Subatomic Cosmonaut

Oh man, yes. Back-wall mechanics in this game alone make it MUCH more pleasing to actually build stuff in this game for reasons other than amassing NPCs .

Starbug likes this.
  11. UltraSnaky

UltraSnaky Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm mortified that this thread hasn't been turned into a hellish pit of chaos in which Starbound loyalists wage war against Terraria separatists. I prefer Starbound because it has a greater replay value due to its random nature.
    So is the everything.

12. Jack_Kéther

Jack_Kéther Scruffy Nerf-Herder

can't say witch one is better, starbound is an exploration/sandbox builder game, terraria is an arcade/sandbox builder game
    too similar, but too different
    [​IMG]

GeneralMittens likes this.
  13. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

Terraria is better right now.

14. Lazogna

Lazogna Contact!

I really liked the music in Terraria, especially the underground rainbow biome. The music in Starbound is just spectacular though, much more atmospheric and engaging.

15. Jamtoes

Jamtoes Big Damn Hero

In it's current state Terraria is better than Starbound. Saying otherwise is not rational.

16. UltraSnaky

UltraSnaky Pangalactic Porcupine

That's right. Having a different opinion is irrational. That'll show 'em.

17. Jack_Kéther

Jack_Kéther Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I am mad because the mad dont know they are mad... and this is not rational too

18. Tymon

Tymon Cosmic Narwhal

As a matter of rational... Or irrational. As far as sheer amount of weaponry/armor types/effects/buffs and so on. it is certainly true that Terraria has a LOT more. Armorwise, in the current stable build all the races armor is basically identical, just looks different. in terraria, every single armor set from the start to the end has set bonuses which can do some radically different things depending on your play style. Likewise, weapons... So many different effects...especially when you get into magic stuff. Starbound is pretty lackluster in equipment/gear currently. But, as I said before. Starbound is barely prototype phase. A good 3/4ths of the features aren't even in the game yet. Terraria certainly appears better because it's actually finished, so it's not stuffed full of half implemented/unimplemented features. There's really no way to rationally compare the two right now because starbound is still a work in progress. The game could be fantastic at release, or it could be a steaming pile of dog crap that no one wants to play. No one will know until that time though.

DrakeWymulf and KyPTeD like this.
  19. Tizen

Tizen Space Spelunker

Could you please send me a private message and tell me the name of the game? It sounds like 7 Days To Die. I would like to check it out.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  20. Nutric

Nutric Pangalactic Porcupine

You're asking this on a Starbound forum. The result is obvious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.