team dynamic

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Cliff Racer, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Cliff Racer

Cliff Racer Void-Bound Voyager

Let us imagine a situation:
    You and a friend are exploring a world but there is a ledge you just can't jump up and you do not have the blocks to climb it!
    So your friend hunkers down under the ledge and you step on his hand, then he lifts you on to his head so you can jump off.
    And then, when you're at the top, you kneel down and reach a hand down, he jumps up and grabs your hand!
    Teamwork!

I'd like to see little things like these in the game. Little bonuses from having a team of people that could otherwise be solved through items- it brings a sense of camaradarie and is really neat to see.

2. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

That form of interaction would greatly encourage teamwork and forming squads and such. I could see it having a place in the game

3. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

Absolutely... AWESOME.

4. Kalvuric

Kalvuric Big Damn Hero

This is a good idea. As long as it isn't overused/abused in prebuilt areas, making it stale. One game that has something like this is King Arthur's Gold: the knights can hold their shields up to be used as a platform by others to jump up on stuff or prevent arrows/bombs/enemies from falling on their buddies.Think its even possible to stack knights if I remember right. Would love to see something like that in Starbound.

I suppose one could extend this into the realm of puzzles, but then you risk stuff like switch and box puzzles, and I don't think those really have a place in Starbound (maybe thats just me though.)

5. doused

doused Scruffy Nerf-Herder

wow great idea. i think this would work perfectly for like dungeons and such.

6. Xegan Hive

Xegan Hive Subatomic Cosmonaut

I like the idea it would help build a strong sense of team work while playing online with friends.

7. doused

and push the need/want for getting irl friends to play together.

8. TehEpikMonk

TehEpikMonk Spaceman Spiff

But it could hinder people who lack the means of communicating effectively.

9. Dukie

Dukie Void-Bound Voyager

i think this would be great! You have my support sir!

10. doused

well they could also use this with the NPCs but it could be more fun with a friend.

11. Cliff Racer

Cliff Racer Void-Bound Voyager

Exactly. You could definately do the same thing with NPCs, perhaps by pointing the cursor at the spot you want them to help you up at, then hitting a button.

12. Lasercat77

Lasercat77 Pangalactic Porcupine

That would be awesome. Say you and some friends fall down a deep hole without equipment to escape. The hole you fell down isn't just a pit though. It expands into a cave. The part where it expands is too high though. What do you do? Get your friends to stack on top of each other and wall jump your way out and come back with stuff to rescue them.

13. Ramare

Ramare Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Like a step-jump? Cool. Maybe you could then also reach down and help your ally up?

Tying this mechanic in with the suggested Android/synthetic race, you wouldn't be able to help them up (too heavy), but they'd be able to help you up farther by throwing you upwards for a slightly higher ledge grab. Then, since I suggested that they have higher jump height (what with probably having piston-powered legs and whatnot), they'd probably be able to jump up and grab the same ledge themselves.

14. Ephexis

Ephexis Cosmic Narwhal

i think this would be a great addition to the game
    although without a friend to play with it wont be as fun, an NPC that can go exploring with you that can do the "help out each other up a ledge" thing could make up for this(but don't make having npc buddies following you mandatory

also another team tactic idea could be the revival of a teammate
    your buddy just lost all his hp and went down, but rather then respawning back at..wherever..he/she would be lying down with a beating heart symbol above them or some life line thingy to show that they have X amount of time to be revived by their teammate(which could be a medic or have a special revival item or something) and your player uses his/her medic skills to bring them back or use medical supplies etc.

15. Casimir

Casimir Pangalactic Porcupine

Team dynamics sound great. 100% support this!
    As long as there is also a way for players who don't have anyone to play with to use an NPC or something similar to help them explore and get around.

16. SpaceCap'n

SpaceCap'n Zero Gravity Genie

No thanks, I'll run up the wall and jump to the top :ninja:

Matt McChicken and Alvin Flummox like this.
  17. Epicroyal

Epicroyal Cosmic Narwhal

Maybe if your by a cliff and you need to jump across you could get a running start and jump on your friend's hands for your friend to "toss" you with. Also weight of characters should matter on the effect of this.

bounding star likes this.
  18. Tyr

Tyr Pangalactic Porcupine

I like this idea, and really, if you don't have a friend, you can just build a ledge, so it's not an impairment to solo exploration, but it just rewards teamwork. Though it should be pretty simple, otherwise it'll just be easier to build a path you both can use to get up.

19. Matt McChicken

Matt McChicken Void-Bound Voyager

or just use that jetpck you got there

20. Oricalcum

Oricalcum Ketchup Robot

Really great idea, I do hope this is added, Multiplayer and Singleplayer.