Super Micro Assembling And Condesing Konstructor (SMAACK)

Discussion in 'Blocks and Crafting' started by Todem, Jun 20, 2012.

?

Do you think the SMAAK would be good for the game play?

1. Yes! awesome!

25 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. No! it takes away the challenge.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe, but it needs to have this....

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Todem

Todem Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Since my days of Terriaria spelunking, i've had this wish to have some use for all those random blocks that i threw away. All that dirt, stone, mud, and sand that i threw away but spent all this time gathering up to get somewhere.

Being that landing on some planets may provide a hostile environment, I thought about having a device that you could bring all these materials to (after contructing the device of course at your space station) and have process them into a "sluce"

Another part of the SMAACK would be the blueprint. You have several blueprints for prefab buildings that would be placed in a SMAACK pack that could be carried (only one per drop ship) down to the surface and set up. giving you a quick little base camp for exploration.

Also would be funny for in game characters to talk to you about laying the S.M.A.A.C.K. down on hostile planets

I thought if each item had a specific value, like if dirt were 1 and stone was 3, that you could collect enough to place into the sluce maker and provide building materials.

This is just a little idea, but i would love to hear comments and constructive criticism that could perhaps improve this idea, or explain why it would wholly ruin the fun. I've been quite excited about this game since i heard about it 2 days ago and would love it to be a blockbuster!

(special thanks goes to Seria_Myouna on the IRC for helping with the name :love:)

Todem
    AKA Sari Neruda

EDIT: Condensing* typo in title!

2. Seria-Myouna

Seria-Myouna The Last Moderator IRC Operator

I helped come up with this, a bit. It is an awesome idea and deserves all the upvotes.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  3. R_C_A^

R_C_A^ Pangalactic Porcupine

Yes, it sounds like a fantastic idea for setting up a fast base camp and setting off on what you need to do. Quick and easy, and a use for the tons of "useless" dirt, sand, stone, ect ect. :)

4. Word on the Wind

Word on the Wind Former Staff

I tended to use a lot of the materials I found in Terraria, but I would end up with spares, so i suppose this could have some merit to it, though I imagine that this could be rather abused if someone just goes to a planet, blows the crap out of it and then recycles all of it. There again, strip mining exists, so why not.

5. Curtis6566

Curtis6566 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Good idea, and what a coincidence, I found out about this game 2 days ago too.

6. SuperWillieD

SuperWillieD Pangalactic Porcupine

Better then blowing it up then wasting all the materials!

7. Todem

Please if you are voting for a Maybe or No vote, please give a critique when you do. It does not help make improvements.

8. Zailiner

Zailiner Over 9000!!!

This sounds like a pretty ace idea, so it's pretty much just recycling?
    Here's something that I missed / you lack:
    What does sluce do? You get the points from converting the junk, but what do you do with it?
    I read thorough the OP 4 times and didn't find an answer.

9. Todem

Sluce is the building blocks for the SMAACK fabricator, each peice of material you put in adds points towards being able to manufacture a particular blueprint on a planet.
    Another thing, that some more complex blueprints would have specific material requirements, (Ex. Iron, gold) for any other features that a building might have (turrets, Doors, windows)

10. Seria-Myouna

Seria-Myouna The Last Moderator IRC Operator

It certainly wouldn't look as pretty and would be much harder to traverse, but you could certainly do this to a planet you didn't care about. Who knows, perhaps there will be terraforming, so you could undo the destruction with enough money if you ever decided to care.

11. ranmafan

ranmafan Big Damn Hero

Sounds like the equivalent exchange mod for Minecraft - actually this would be pretty good!

To combine with the Blueprints suggestion topic:
    1) Different blocks have different matter values
    2) You can craft a blueprint of varying sizes (small, med, large, massive) - build your structure in the blueprint and define materials, furnishing, machines, etc.
    3) The blueprint then tells you the total materials needed - generic matter, specific materials.
    4) Save the blueprint
    5) Have a storage/warehouse in your starbase/ship where you can beam up harvested materials to. Once you have enough materials, you can set down a prefab using your custom blueprints.
    6) Each prefab takes a fixed amount of time to build before being deployed to the surface on the planet. Any matter in the way is harvested or displaced. (or you may need an upgrade to the blueprint that allows it to remove intervening terrain, otherwise you have to clear your own space)

12. Todem

*2) i dont think there should be massive buildings, because the Drop ship has to still carry the box of SMAACK laced Sluce to the planet. it leaves Massive buildings to be built by players (or NPCs?).

13. ranmafan

ranmafan Big Damn Hero

Well, the idea is that even if the game won't allow massive blueprints, players are just going to make a whole bunch of smaller blueprints and stitch them together. May as well let them have a 'massive' blueprint. Of course, not knowing the actual scale in the game, we'll have to see.

14. SproutDog

SproutDog Void-Bound Voyager

This and "Blue Prints!" forum would be great! Even if they were small scale and slow building. Maybe you would have to physically build the whole first layer as a base (10-20 blocks)...or maybe not. Definitely for home planet building! :up:
    Big blueprints for home planet, smaller ones for random planets?

15. The Demon of Borders

The Demon of Borders King Homestuck 4.13

Make a version that makes energy instead and call it S.M.A.A.S.H.E.R. (Super Micro Absorbtion And Speedy Hadron-collider Energy Recuperation)