Sun question

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Twiganator, Aug 26, 2012.

?

should you be able to travel to the suns of starbound.

1. heck yes

34.1%
  2. no

65.9%
  1. PokemonAce101

PokemonAce101 Subatomic Cosmonaut

OBJECTION!
    It's plasma
    not gas.
    get yo' facts straight!

But honestly, there wouldn't be much to do on the sun. no surface, probablly not good to swim in, just forget about it.

Bombzero likes this.
  2. Evinagro

Evinagro Cosmic Narwhal

lets end this topic with logic the sun is a giant ball of hydrogen and helium(non solid elements) and the fusion reaction makes the heat
    if you were to fall into the sun, you would fall to the center and be crushed by its massive gravity and theres no surface to walk or land or swim on/in
    THERE, THAT IS SCIENCE :geek:
    EDIT: plasma isnt solid either, its gaslike(not saying it is)

Bombzero likes this.
  3. Latecat

Latecat Subatomic Cosmonaut

Who on earth would be jackass enough to do that?
    I don't even want to join the "ITS SCIENCE" bandwagon here.
    Besides, I am fairly sure most of us just would want to blow it up in a nice supernova anyways.
    at least I do :3

4. Argthrond

Argthrond Oxygen Tank

... Just how?

5. Twiganator

Twiganator The Count

supernova? now that is a fantastic idea.

6. Urist McDwarf

Urist McDwarf Void-Bound Voyager

Ohh god, no, not again!

7. Lachee

Lachee Existential Complex

Plasma is in no way a gas. It is the 4th state of matter. It is the most abundant state in the universe. It is more common than solid, or even gas.

http://public.lanl.gov/alp/plasma/ubiquitous.html

8. iBanana 4S™

iBanana 4S™ Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sun, I am disappoint.
    Ok, enough with the awful puns, but no, I do not think you could travel to the sun, I mean, suns/stars don't really qualify as planets... Although, I would think that being able to travel to the sun and die instantly would be kinda funny.

9. Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

I know Id laugh.

10. lunarembrace

lunarembrace Void-Bound Voyager

I see a lot of people wanting to send the player to the sun, but what about a mechanical drone instead, controlled by the player a safe distance away in their spaceship? Assuming there would even be a reason to visit stars, you could have a heat resistant forcefield and have to control the drone to find whatever is needed from the star and escape somehow before its battery runs out and forcefield goes down. Also its 5am for me, so its quite possible this is just another terrible idea.

VandBRT likes this.
  11. Twiganator

Twiganator The Count

[​IMG]

12. Unendingfear

Unendingfear Cosmic Narwhal

c: Make it so that you can travel to them but you instantly burn up.

The Corrupted [ITA] and Bombzero like this.
  13. c2h5oc2h5

c2h5oc2h5 Phantasmal Quasar

Ha! When I looked at the OP's post, my first tought was similar to other "defenders of science/realism": nope, walking on a surface of stars is too silly to become implemented. Yet when I was reading further into topic, my mind slowly started to change... Because - why not? OK, walking on or swimming in stars is still a bit stupid IMO, but hey, who said there couldn't be a space station hovering over the surface of a star? I guess a space station protected by some kind of force fields and thus being able to float over, or even dive into a star is not pushing suspension of belief too far. Moreover, I think it fits perfectly hi-tech sci-fi world, where technology is indeed indistinguishable from magic.

And one more thing - this idea is not quite novel. Similar ideas (withstanding in environments which we consider 100% lethal) were used already in sci-fi many times, and they were used with success, in my opinion. Let's look at (may contain minor spoilers, watch out) Stargate Universe: flying spaceship through star in order to "fuel up"; Mass Effect 2: base of ancient yet highly advanced race located in the middle of galaxy, where gravity from surrounding black holes should in theory tear apart anything nearby (or at least that was what humans tought, until empirical evidence proven they are so wrong :p); and finally WH40k: C'tans, so called "star gods" - ancient and powerful beings, who originaly fed upon surface of stars. I guess there are much more examples.

And finally - who are we to judge? While there is no point in arguing with science, I believe we barely scratched mechanics of our universe. In time we'll uncover more mysteries of the world, which probably will change our view on what's possible and what is not. Doubt we'll going to swim in lava, but who knows? :p

14. VandBRT

VandBRT Subatomic Cosmonaut

My opinion is: if an aspect of a game is fun, but unrealistic, dump the realism. Starbound is not a simulator, so why bother with realism?
    However, there is nothing interesting to do on the surface of any star. It is a ball of plasma, an uncontained fusion reactor. To a commoner, stars are just dull. A space station or a ship on decaying orbit around a star, on other hand, would be an awesome site for a boss battle. A timed boss battle.

15. nerdgf

nerdgf Void-Bound Voyager

It makes no sense to travel to a giant hydrogen bomb of plasma... I mean:
    1- You will not survive!
    2- Your spaceship will not survive!
    3- Life forms will not survive!
    4- There will be no liquid nor solid stuff in there!
    5- There are awesome planets around it, why would you want to go in there!?
    6- You'll go blind!
    7- Your pet will die!
    8- Your equipment will melt!
    9- There will be no food or water or place to live there!
    10 - You can get cancer from the radiation it emits!

So, why should you go there? Even a quasar would be more interesting!

Bombzero likes this.
  16. Sykes

Sykes Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

There's a difference between dropping realism to make the game more fun, and completely ludicrous logic... Being able to travel to, explore, and mine stars is the former. Obviously it's unrealistic to have laser guns and humanoid birds, but nobody cares about that because it's sci-fi. Even using the sci-fi excuse though, it can't possibly justify exploring a giant ball of plasma, or mining it...

Bombzero and Stargazer like this.
  17. VandBRT

VandBRT Subatomic Cosmonaut

Sci-fi setting is not an excuse to bypass common sense and more down-to-earth aspects of science (It IS an excuse to bypass more sophisticated ones, like special relativity theory). "It's more fun the other way", however, is.
    Also, IRL stars have a set temperature and there CAN be lifeforms able to survive there (maybe using some form of photosynthesis to sustain themselves) and CAN be some (undiscovered by mankind) materials able to withstand such heat.
    However, exploring the sun in-game brings absolutely nothing to gameplay, it is not possible to "mine" anything out of a giant active fusion reactor, it is not possible to "explore" its surface, since it is all the same and it is not possible to walk on it. Even a volcanic planet will offer much more gameplay possibilities.

18. Arretez

Arretez Spaceman Spiff

Due to the extreme temperature and UV rays, I think that if you traveled to the sun, you would die before you reached it. However, if you did somehow manage to travel there without dying, I think that you'd get sucked in by the gravitational pull and then you'd explode on the surface (and it would be spectacular.) With our new technology, we are able to simulate that scenario. Here it is:

19. Sykes

Sykes Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Chill, I wasn't disagreeing with what you said in the first place, just adding to it.

But in any case, it's absurd to even consider any kind of life on a star, or exploring a star. Don't even try defending the idea. It's straight up silly.

20. Unendingfear

Unendingfear Cosmic Narwhal

What if it were to be a life-form of pure energy or some kind of transcendental-trans-dimensional state of being?