Sun question

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Twiganator, Aug 26, 2012.

?

should you be able to travel to the suns of starbound.

1. heck yes

34.1%
  2. no

65.9%
  1. Syris

Syris Cosmic Narwhal

There's no real reason to, what would people gain from walking/whatever on a ball of fire?

2. Twiganator

Twiganator The Count

but what if there is a material the does not melt and is super heat resistant. and you have a 0.5% chance of finding it on a 100 level planet?

magma/ fire armor?

magma-[​IMG]

Fire-[​IMG]

3. thespacephantom

thespacephantom Big Damn Hero

That is...

I'm sorry, but that is literally the opposite of how physics work.

The Corrupted [ITA] likes this.
  4. Bombzero

Bombzero Giant Laser Beams

Yeah plus you know the whole principles of thermal radiation and such means that regardless of what you wear outside the heat will get through.

also stars are useless, they are literally just balls of burning gas.

5. sasquatchjc

sasquatchjc Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't see why it SHOULDN'T be an option. This is a sci-fi game, where nearly anything is possible. Heck, there are all-water planets, why not all-magma planets (stars)? They are both pretty much the same, void of resources, shelter, etc., but perhaps there is life out there that can survive heat over 40,000 K. Who are we to say what's logical and what isn't within a video game?

Twiganator likes this.
  6. Bombzero

not the same at all, an all water planet wouldnt exist because it would have a solid core at some point, its also not on fire endlessly.
    stars are not "magma" but burning compressed gas, hotther then most any temperature achievable on earth.

for reference a Nuclear bomb's heat wave isn't even close to the deeper in temperatures of a star, the same wave that fries humans inside of metal structures to a blackened crisp.

7. thespacephantom

Stars aren't magma, though, they're big flaming balls of gas.

EDIT: Ninja'd, but my point still stands, I guess.

8. sasquatchjc

Well, Stars are actually not even compressed gas, the fusion that takes place in a star actually surpasses the typical 3 states of matter. They are actually made up of the 4th state of matter; plasma. Also, yes i know that an atomic bomb's heat isn't even close to that of a star, i did say 40,000K (kelvin). However, our sun is probably even hotter than that, and there are also stars hotter than our sun.

It has also been confirmed that there will be all-underwater planets. However I image the "Core" of these planets will be part of those "bedrock" style layers as to not break gameplay.

My main point of my previous post was that it is a sci-fy videogame, and within such, anything is possible. There could be some rare mineral out there that is completely resistant to heat. How could you be so sure there isn't if the game isn't even out yet? :p

9. thespacephantom

But...

Even if you did find some magic material that could survive going into a sun, wouldn't you fall right to the center and get crushed to death by the gravity?

10. sasquatchjc

Very true, but whose to say this mystical material is also an anti-matter, negating all gravity? ;)

Twiganator likes this.
  11. Bombzero

1) not necassarily, "sci-fy" does not equal "throw in whatever we want"
    google suspension of disbelief for what I mean.

2) the element the suit is composed of doesn't mean anything, only a literally impossible elemental composition could protect you from heat radiation, otherwise the suit would heat up, and in turn you would heat up and die.

3) human beings have discovered nearly every naturally occurring element in the universe, it is statistically impossible for more stable elements to exist by all known human knowledge.
    there can also be only 1 more nonmetal in existence if the current periodic table is correct.

12. thespacephantom

BUT THAT'S NOT HOW ANTIMATTER WORKS

Who knows, it might be possible! It would be pretty cool to build a house on the sun for bragging rights, actually.

Note to self: Do that if it's possible ingame.

Twiganator likes this.
  13. Bombzero

oh god no, im leaving before we get into public perceptions of anti-matter, next you'll be claiming quantum mechanics can explain it.

14. sasquatchjc

1. I agree, but anything is still possible. Even magic, although that's highly inappropriate for a sci-fy game.
    2. But again to my main point! the material could be whatever needed to survive, heat resistant, anti-gravity, etc. It's a video game!
    3. that's real life, this is merely a game, my dear friend.

There isn't anything about a video game that's false except for what the devs make it. If they decide "hey, lets make a rare mineral that allows you to swim in the stars". Even if they don't, it's still nice to imagine thins that are impossible in our universe.

Twiganator likes this.
  15. Twiganator

Twiganator The Count

Ok yeah yeah physics reality whatever. But humans have barley scratched the surface of natural materials in the universe. The unIverse is endless ( in some theories) so technically we would never be ble to find every material. there are planets billions perhaps trillions of light years away. By the time us humans arrive there you and I will have been deseased for at least 2 centuries. there areole than likely materials on other planets that can only be found on that planet. Life on other planets in 100% possible they probably have something in their bodies that we have never seen before. But back ot I was just thinking it would be really cool to travel to stars. Because a game doesn't have to be logical or obey the laws of physics. For example floating dirt... Totally disobeys gravity, but nobody has rejection to that. It is a floating price of dirt. Let's just go pick up some dirt and see if it floats . .. Lol whatever I like floating dirt it's awesome. ( if anything is spelled wrong it's because I'm on my phone.

16. Bombzero

alright, let me break this down for you.

matter as we know it is composed primarily of subatomic particles known as nuetrons, electrons, and protons, you likely know this already.
    these atoms are this way because of what the parts that make them up are made up of.
    to date, we have discovered many natural elements but none higher then a certain number on the periodic table, these had to be synthesized.
    these synthetic elements are often incredible unstable due to both their method of creation and inherent properties.
    now, going by all currently known logic it is physically impossible for there to be "undiscovered stable elements", because the literal definition of matter as a whole does not allow for it, and these are things we have confirmed.

just spreading knowledge.

17. Sykes

Sykes Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

This... Doesn't make sense >.> First off, they're called "stars". The "sun" is just the name for our solar system's star. Second, they're giant balls of fusion reactions (PUT SIMPLY). There's not much to find, and if there were technology in the universe of Starbound that would let you even get near the sun, then there would be technology enough to make armor that makes you invincible to all forms of energy, period, and how would being invincible be any fun?

And finding rare minerals in stars? Just... =/

18. Twiganator

Twiganator The Count

Thank for all the feed back everyone :). I have come to the conclusion that this is a sh**y idea. :)

19. Evinagro

Evinagro Cosmic Narwhal

all of it is real, except for magic(that is pure fake, and is hopefully not added) some day, we will be able to actually LIVE on other planets, mutate creatures into 1

20. Twiganator

Twiganator The Count

[​IMG]

pump dem brakes this is now a dumb topic