1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Important Stretch Goal Thoughts -- Pets?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by mollygos, Apr 19, 2013.

?

Pets as a stretch goal?

1. Yay!

1,534 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. Nay!

827 vote(s)
    35.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

I'm confused. Do we not already have a pet system? Can you please elaborate on this intended feature?

Will these pets do more than follow us? Can we feed them? Do they require food? Can they level up? We need to know more. Especially about the taming system Tiy has said is already going to be in the game. We need to know how that works in relation to this. The stats of tamed pets, the way they progress, if they require upkeep to be healthy/happy which I hope they do. Without knowing more about the default pet system and more about this stretch goal with starter pets and what relation those two things have, we don't possess enough information to actually make a yes or no vote. The information released about these starter pets is too vague. If they do not do anything other than follow you around and maybe have some cute animations, it is not worth being a stretch goal and is quite the let down.

Though, I would appreciate it (as would many others) if animals like those were present in the game as tamable pets anyway. The dogs, cats and so forth are very popular choices in games as far as taming systems are concerned and it would be a total waste to have them not be in the game or to be in it and be no more than aesthetic pets. You guys should give us more information about the taming system supposedly in the game. We should be able to tame, raise, feed, breed, splice, play with and fight the pets we're supposed to be able to when the game is released.

Ever play Dark Cloud 2? That game let you catch and train fish to race against other fish and it was addicting as hell to play with. Final Fantasy 7? Chocobos. I'm obviously very excited about the taming system, hopeful as well that it turns out to be more complex than taming a pet and having it fight stuff for you.

JohnnyValentino and Speno1 like this.
  2. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

I like that they're asking the community rather than just going ahead with it...+1 to chucklefish.

bax399, AbsoluteZero101, viIe and 9 others like this.
  3. flamedance58

flamedance58 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The fossils can be mined out and used as trophies or extracting the DNA to clone the creature.
    The race is functionality as it's a new race to play as.
    I don't see how you're comparing those two to the useless pets.

It's like comparing a car, better tires, to a lil dancing hula girl thing on your dashboard.

Rabite, Silverforte and Drakol like this.
  4. Hollow

Hollow Phantasmal Quasar

Potential pet functions that make them actually appealing as a $1 million goal:

1. Alert when there's a hidden treasure nearby.
    2. Different alert when there's significant danger nearby.
    3. The ability to right click pets and store a few items on them, possibly. Also possibly the ability to teleport them back to ship to deposit the items for a few minutes before they return, like with Torchlight.
    4. Seek the nearest player on the planet when you die and try to lead them in the direction of your corpse so you can be resusitated.

bax399, wataru, Zellman and 8 others like this.
  5. Combine_Kegan

Combine_Kegan Phantasmal Quasar

I'd be okay if the non combat pets could be assigned tasks like carry a certain amount of inventory slots.

and you add an adorable little floating droid pet

ErekoseDM likes this.
  6. SuperMandrew

SuperMandrew Cosmic Narwhal

What about melee/ranged skills that are attributed/linked to weapons? Or even Final Fantasy 'limit break' style?

ex: throw your fire sword at an enemy which spawned with a 'Level 1 Explosive Blade' and when the sword sticks in the enemy, you get 5 seconds to click as much as you can, causing small damaging explosions on the enemy?

Anything to prevent melee/ranged combat from just moving and holding the click button might be pretty cool. Just an idea!

7. Patchouli

Patchouli Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't think the starter pets should have any functionality, really. At least, it should be the same for every one of the starter pets, not a different function for each one.

8. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

i absolutely love the idea.
    i also feel like people have completly lost contact with reality and what stretch goal are meant to be...

icepick37 likes this.
  9. SuperMandrew

SuperMandrew Cosmic Narwhal

I like this functionality too!

10. Herdo

Herdo Pangalactic Porcupine

The space station was scrapped because the devs were focusing on customization of it for some reason. Numerous people have expressed interest in a static space station that would essentially be a giant space city.

11. Deluxe

Deluxe Master Chief

Yeah, to echo a previous person's sentiment, it's awesome that you guys are reacting to the community and asking instead of just going ahead with it. :3

12. Syntheaux

Syntheaux Void-Bound Voyager

What about something like MAGs from Phantasy Star Online.

They would be a small robotic creature that would float behind you. You could feed it items to level it up and evolve into different kinds depending on what you feed it. It would also be neat if it could also help you out in certain ways. As it's evolving it could gain certain abilities. For instance, providing light for you, warn you when an enemy is close, point in the direction of something valuable (while mining), secondary storage, etc.

13. Killthee

Killthee Poptop Tamer

Seems kind of pointless if the pets don't do anything and if there's a set tameable space pets that help in combat.

14. Streetguru

Streetguru Lucky Number 13

Release an alpha at 1 million along with this!

Garkarus and Exi1e like this.
  15. icepick37

icepick37 Phantasmal Quasar

Right so new type of block, and expanding pets a little, and new race is just another race.
    Starter pets is something that didn't exist before. Non-combat pets!

It's not really all that different. Not to me. I DO see where you are coming from. I did already say that, haha.

16. White Nigga

White Nigga Orbital Explorer

How bout randomly generated vehicles?

Exi1e likes this.
  17. Wilduu

Wilduu Space Spelunker

Pets, and make it similar to Pokemon as an additional thing to do.

give them stats and levels.
    let us find and catch new ones in the wild, and let us pit them against each other! That would be pretty sweet in my opinion

18. ErekoseDM

ErekoseDM Void-Bound Voyager

Love the idea of Starter Pets as a mini-stretch goal.

i thought they were already included in the game though (not just the recruitable monsters, hopefully Level-able pokemon-esque)

what i didnt like about the pets was there were like 9 different cats (thought it was hoarders ep or something) but only 1 dog (or type of dog). the best ones were the rhinobug or the other bug really >_<
    a data-dog like Ein from Cowboy Bebop would be cool.

also the Equips for pets if its a stretch goal idea would be a must! (please)
    at least if i had a dog (or other pet) following me id have a harness/collar that had some flashlights strapped so the area would light up,
    and what about their mobility if im flying round or grappling things?
    (maybe they can hop on a hoverboard ^_^ )

the starter pets would be immortal as well right?

would love to see the Space Station put back into the game as the Big Stretch goal! (at least for single player as a personal base of ops in space that could be worked up towards, with maybe some of the concepts integrated)
    http://community.playstarbound.com/...to-revitilize-the-spacestation-concept.17865/

Different Spaceships and FTL style battles further down the line for the game was well would be EPIC + Amazing.

But All the Stretch Goals need not be in the game at Launch / Beta.

and before the PreOrders are turned off make sure to give a week or 2 of a countdown please!
    on Kickstarter the last 48 hours is usually a surge of pledges, here it seems like it might just be over at any time i wouldnt want a pledge surge to miss you guys!

thanks!
    obviously quite looking forward to this game

not sure how to vote on it quite yet but leaning towards Yay!

Demonlord and Herdo like this.
  19. Captain Malcolm

Captain Malcolm Big Damn Hero

Has NO one read the whole post?!?!?!?
    it dose not need to be the $1 million goal it could be the 800k goal, or the 900k goal
    I think this is an AWESOME idea, but that it shouldn't force the people who don't want a pet to have one.
    Now me and my Space Butterfly are gonna go save the universe!

20. HealthyDrugs

HealthyDrugs Void-Bound Voyager

To be honest i wouldnt mind having tons and tons of race-specific quests and other side quests :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.