1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Important Stretch Goal Thoughts -- Pets?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by mollygos, Apr 19, 2013.

?

Pets as a stretch goal?

1. Yay!

1,534 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. Nay!

827 vote(s)
    35.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RemanentSky

RemanentSky Title Not Found

Voted yes simply because I think it's be nice to have a pet that isn't bred from some sort of monster eugenics system; as much as a gene-spliced wolf-bird thing would be cool, I'd really like to explore the galaxy with a dog at my side.

2. LeJon

LeJon Space Spelunker

3. Rekalty

Rekalty Friend of the Night

While I cannot think to know what people are basing their votes on, I may suspect most vote, based on thinking that this would be a $250k streach goal.
    I could see this as a neat $50k or at best $100k goal, then something else for the remainder up to 1 mill.
    As something you could take along with you, or keep in your ship/base, have it run around and interact with its surroundings could make it feel more alive and homey. As you explore the universe, you could find and tame various passive creatures to become your domesticated pets. I have no insight as to how it was planned to be implemented, so I really can't comment nor speculate further.

LThadeu, Vaelium, ErekoseDM and 4 others like this.
  4. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

I like the pets idea, but it would need to have something that really sets it apart as an ENHANCEMENT to the game systems. Instead of just shooting you down Molly, here are some ideas!!

You could breed monsters with certain characteristics to get pets
    Pets give you special "abilities", such as dogs make you "see" smells, and birds fetch lootables
    Pets can track things, or hunt designated objects

Compared to the monster taming system, just pets that follow you would feel incomplete. Don't hold back, what have you guys got!!?

5. Lance Hancock

Lance Hancock Existential Complex

Wait a minute wasn't pets already implemented. I remember reading somewhere that there was a pet system.

Zellman and ErekoseDM like this.
  6. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

I DISAGREE, the first stretch goals are AMAZING!!!!

Saxor, JackOfAllTrades, Herdo and 2 others like this.
  7. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

well, i would enjoy having a different voice set. maybe it could be a mini-goal?

Edit: I should mention i don't know how hard it would be to add them. so maybe just over-hauling the character creator over all?

Rabite likes this.
  8. IrradiatedFish

IrradiatedFish Master Chief

Put plain and simple, I'm really just not much of a fan of the idea of starting with a pet. I don't think it necessarily fits with the atmosphere of the game. It's fine if you can get one down the road (and doing so being completely optional), but I'm not crazy about the idea of starting off with something following you around.

Also, it didn't occur to me right away, but after seeing other peoples posts, I do agree that it's sort of underwhelming as a stretch goal as a whole.

Not super crazy about 'starting' pets as a whole anyway. (Note: pets are fine! I'm just not keen on the idea of starting with one :)! If this does become a reality though, I hope it's completely optional. )

EDIT: I've also seen posts about giving these pets functionality. This is a two sided coin for me. If it's a starting pet, I *DON'T* like the idea of giving them too much functionality, because I feel this could end up giving you too much of a leg-up early in the game. However if it's a pet you have later on, and has functionality that starts off lame and increases over time, then I'm all for that.

9. Deluxe

Deluxe Master Chief

I think the best way to make this a more appealing idea is to give the choice a somewhat meaningful impact. Maybe your pet of choice gives a small stat boost? Or heals you ever so slightly over time. Or gives nearby friendly people a small boost to maximum energy. Just give them a small function and I'd be all over this system. Then you can have actual combat pets BE combat pets, and small non-combat pets be useful in their own different way.

Edit: The downside to this system is it would be a penalty t o NOT choose a pet at the start, which is, honestly, a pretty big downside since it restricts player choice. So, I tried. : (

10. Kiiyor

Kiiyor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Instead of pets, perhaps we could get the ability to TAME monsters? There are some completely awesome procedurally generated ones out there, and I think it would be awesome to have the ability to snag something awesome you come across. Awesome.

Like an awesome space safari, but with live trophies!

Maybe only one or so at a time, or perhaps even have a base upgrade that allows you to tame more than one. Being domesticated, perhaps they could be smaller than their wilder brethren.

Could it be possible to add nests to certain spawn areas? So you could take eggs? Ah, awesome.

EDIT: or construct a habitat at your base! maybe each pet needs to have a certain amount of space, and an autofeeder or something...

ErekoseDM likes this.
  11. bludud101

bludud101 Phantasmal Quasar

I think we would get to the goals without these as incentives, so honestly it's just a bonus reward. :)

ammartino and Drakol like this.
  12. rhombus

rhombus Space Spelunker

Pets are okay, but they don't really add anything for me in terms of looking forward to the game. I'm going to say "no", but I'm really just pretty neutral about them either way.

e: I would totally be happy if they were no new stretch goal if that meant we got our hands on the beta any faster. People are obviously excited for this game!

13. BarxBaron

BarxBaron Space Spelunker

THIS

I gotta agree.

I need more info before making a choice but right now I'm leaning neigh as it seems like they will likely be eye candy. I don't mind eye candy pets being earned later but we don't need them spammed out at the start IMO.

14. Kousaka

Kousaka Void-Bound Voyager

Maybe the 1 million goal could be the space station idea that had to be scrapped? A lot of people seemed to like it

Heinrich843, Saxor, Rabite and 4 others like this.
  15. LazerEagle1

LazerEagle1 Master Astronaut

I want pets!

16. Capturing monsters is already a planned feature! Non-combat pets would just be an alternative. They could have some functionality that would make them more useful, I suppose.

17. icepick37

icepick37 Phantasmal Quasar

Not really. Not if they are already funded through release (shrug).
    So honestly maybe just abandoning the idea of zero-day perks? Make post-release perks? Dunno if that'd garner the same enthusiasm, though.

18. Stargazer

Stargazer Existential Complex

The space station was scrapped because it didn't fit well with the game. They didn't get rid of it because of time constraints or anything like that.

19. Keychain

Keychain Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't want pets as a starter to be honest, I want them to be somewhat difficult to obtain like fossils. Maybe a bit less difficult, but I don't want everyone to have one from the get-go.

Kenwei2, andySp, diaspao and 3 others like this.
  20. EnlightendDead

EnlightendDead Void-Bound Voyager

Now all you need to add is genesplicing to the monsters!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.