1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Important Stretch Goal Thoughts -- Pets?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by mollygos, Apr 19, 2013.

?

Pets as a stretch goal?

1. Yay!

1,534 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. Nay!

827 vote(s)
    35.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sadron

Sadron Ketchup Robot

I still think they should be in the game! But not necessarily as a stretch goal, unless that stretch goal is less than 100k or so above $750,000

Zenuel and Drakol like this.
  2. There would be more than one pet option for each race. :)

LastDay, Ellie, Casm and 4 others like this.
  3. Deluxe

Deluxe Master Chief

The thing about non-combat starter pets is that when you get a pet that actually has combat functionality, there wouldn't be a big reason to go back to it. I also think it's a little weird that my space adventurer is exploring new planets with... a housecat. It just doesn't seem to fit. : /

Rainbow, Flicke, Blue659 and 13 others like this.
  4. Biscuit Sawce

Biscuit Sawce Pangalactic Porcupine

Needs more of a twist xD

5. Omlech

Omlech Tentacle Wrangler

I think giving us a couple more ideas you guys might have rather than Yay or Nay for NCPs would be a better idea. I'm not opposed to the pets, but if there's something that you guys can do that is more awesome, I'd like to be able to vote on that instead.

Flicke, Ticus and Matimal like this.
  6. Zyu

Zyu Aquatic Astronaut

But we can already tame monsters that can help us in combat.
    Another $250K for non-combat pets seem a little bit too underwhelming.

7. theMarg0r

theMarg0r Orbital Explorer

Hey, I sure hope you guys realize that the stretch goals aren't literally the only thing added to the game, and/or implemented sooner than it would otherwise be, as the preorders come in, right? It's not like the devs are gonna sit on their ass until one million dollars, and then fart out some pets, and nothing else. All the money goes into developing the game, so sure, let's have pets as a stretch goal. I'm sure a lot of really cool stuff is gonna get into the game thanks to the preorder money, that's NOT put up for everyone to see and pelt with rocks as a stretch goal.

8. Kousaka

Kousaka Void-Bound Voyager

Do our pets get little beds to put in our ship? I hope so

Also as far as it being a worthy stretch goal, I was expecting something with a little more substance but I don't really mind

dragtarius, Flicke and Ticus like this.
  9. SorasNobodyXIII

SorasNobodyXIII Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Maybe it can be for a "mini stretch" kind of thing, like another 50k or something small for a small feature like this?

To fill in the long gaps between the major stretch goal, after all they have been and will take longer to reach.

Ticus, RustyJ, madkillller and 4 others like this.
  10. Bop-it_Bill

Bop-it_Bill Master Chief

No from me. Since i've read you can tame monsters, i'll stick to that. This just seems so 'meh' as a milestone. new race = Yes. Fossils = Hell yes. Pets that don't do much = Nah.

Of course my opinion is an opinion, nothing more vote as you please, but i honestly want to see something much more worthwhile in all honesty. /I'm not too creative so i don't know what i want. just not this/

Flicke, Gearald, lduffy and 1 other person like this.
  11. I am just going to copy paste something I already said.

Roequ, Wolfchops and Mooninaut like this.
  12. Christophar

Christophar Void-Bound Voyager

I think its purrrrfect :catface:

Please keep it!

Kreg likes this.
  13. flamedance58

flamedance58 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I guess I'll be one of the first to say:

No Thanks.

Looking at a new playable race, and a intricate and complex fossil system is great! but now we get cats, dogs, lil fuzzy moving things....Really?
    It's like growing up being given your first SNES, then a car when you're a teen, and now that you're retried you're given adult diapers...it's just like....:/

I just find this final stretch goal to be quite underwhelming. If they were mounts perhaps? Like big lizards, blazing salamanders, 6ft tall sea horses, and big hungry eagles I'd be splendid or something....but lil fuzzy things that do diddly squat? It feels like a DLC for the Sims :p

Flicke and Ticus like this.
  14. We've thought about that idea!

dragtarius, Flicke, Ticus and 9 others like this.
  15. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Existential Complex

I like the idea, but... Yeah. I think the concept needs some work. Like, if we could customize said pets, and they had some uses outside of combat, then maybe.

I mean, the fossils not only make cool decorations, but they also "have very special properties and perhaps some of these long dead creatures can even be revived."

Flicke and KuroHinotori like this.
  16. Khilandros

Khilandros Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like the concept of pets, but at this kind of goal level that doesn't seem that impressive for that amount of money (unless you plan it for a minor goal stretch) . Maybe at around $775 - 800k and then use the time to really wow us with the next tier to make up for it?

Flicke, Ticus, Zenuel and 1 other person like this.
  17. Garkarus

Garkarus Space Penguin Leader

Yea, if it's a "mini-stretch" that'd be fine imo, but I don't feel it's worth it for the $1,000,000 stretch goal.

Flicke, Ticus and Drakol like this.
  18. Exi1e

Exi1e Zero Gravity Genie

I was actually hoping for another race. I believe that races are what get people really excited for the game. The more that you can add, the better. Diversity and options are things that every good game should have. Personally, the more you can throw at us in terms of choice is fantastic.

19. FenixR

FenixR Cosmic Narwhal

Oh i see, must have missed that part. How about Equippables for pets? Would like a Robo Kittie that shoots at the same time as me :p, that way you could give more purpose to the pets in the long runs, of course this feature is not something i expect it to be in the game until Post Release at least.

RustyJ likes this.
  20. Nife

Nife Void-Bound Voyager

Sorry for being so hard, but pets indeed sound like a horrible idea. Unless I am mistaken, they add no gameplay value or functionality other than being an aesthetic treat - is this really worthy of a stretch goal?

As already mentioned by EnlightenedDead, "Monster Eugenics", as in, breeding captured monsters under controlled environments in order to create new creatures sounds like a way more fun idea, that could make use of the monster part pool system on a rather intuitive manner, adding even more replay value on an already very interesting mechanic.

A lot of people are showing support for this idea, so we'd appreciate if the team could discuss it for the 1m stretch goal.

bax399, Ticus, Atmosfear and 19 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.