Stratoboards (With Sprites!)

Discussion in 'Vehicles and Mounts' started by Alternal, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Alternal

Alternal Existential Complex

And also some screenshots! :eek:

So recently I got a long board and it's pretty much been my obsession lately.
    That combined with my favourite anime, and you get an idea that would be a blast.

Now the anime I'm talking of is Eureka Seven, which includes a sport called Ref Boarding, basically what these are, but of course you need a name change and also a look change if you want to avoid some.... problems.

Now the core element to these "Stratoboards" is that they are quick, agile, and fun as hell. They are powered using energy crystals planted in the front fin, which allows the board to use wind currents and the atmo/stratosphere to fly, and as the name suggests, these things can go pretty high.

Riding and board Sprites:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^I like this one personally.
    (Not well done, shoosh. The position is just a basic stance, I'd try and do something a little cooler but I need to get better with the sprites.)

Screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(How do you enlarge them?? o_O)

So as you can see, they are pretty much flying surf/skate/long boards that leave a trail of energy behind them. And the colour of the trail can really make a difference of the feel of the board, to me anyways. Like if you have a blue one, it kinda looks like sky water, and red looks like lava!
    Along with the fact that these would be pretty easy to use, you would also have the option to customize these boards.
    The areas you would be able to customize would be:
    Base board colour, rim, and the trail of energy. The first two would be easy to do, but for a trail colour you would need to find the corresponding coloured crystal.

Now the biggest of all the features making this mount a must have, would be the ability to use your weapons while riding them.
    So not only do you have the ability to fly around with your friends, but you can also swoop down with your swords or gun and catch an enemy by surprise, then fly back up to prepare for your next attack.

Flight Patterns:
    - I was thinking about the way these would fly, realised I forgot to add something. By going up or down on the board it wouldn't simply just float up or down, it would actually tilt up or down, so climbing would be slightly slower, and going down would pick you up some major speed!

But be careful, because a hard enough hit will send you, and your board, most likely flying in opposite directions!

List of Features:
    - A quick, fun ride
    - Agile means of getting around your planet
    - Customizable base, rim, and trail.
    - Ability to use weapons while riding
    - Getting hit by something large, like a tackle, rocket, large gun, ect, will knock you off of your board, leaving it flying forwards for about 5 seconds before crashing. So you to have to go find it again!

So I did do a search for these, and found nothing at all~
    I'd be happy to get some feedback,

And as always, happy to answer any questions.
    Thanks for reading! :love:

Coolstuff206, Royced, Jonesy and 22 others like this.
  2. Ninjaxenomorph

Ninjaxenomorph Industrial Terraformer

Hmm. While it probably would not be as customizable as presented here, you probably could color it. Sounds good, a cheap way to get around secured areas.

TheWalrusLivesInMe likes this.
  3. Alternal

Exactly, quick and easy, and you don't have a massive machine to compensate for.
    And as for customizing those sprites up there are just basic ideas for the base board, you'd only really be able to colour it.
    I was curious as to which one people would like more :)

4. Jermex

Jermex The Stampede Forum Moderator

I am imagining procedurally generated Hoverboards, and my mind lights up :rainbow:

5. Alternal

Awesome! And thanks for taking a look! heheh :3

6. Alternal

Anyone else have any feedback? :unsure:
    Bump~

7. Oricalcum

Oricalcum Ketchup Robot

Pretty cool, I do love the idea of hoverboards!
    Although it reminds me of...Flyff...

Alternal likes this.
  8. Alternal

Thanks! And I just googled that, looks strange but I guess the premise is similar.

9. cederjack

cederjack Pangalactic Porcupine

this reminds me of Unreal tournament 5!

10. The Demon of Borders

The Demon of Borders King Homestuck 4.13

It should only be able to float a couple blocks above a surface. (ex; dirt, stone, lava)

I'm not the only person who likes that game?

Amazing.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  11. Oricalcum

Oricalcum Ketchup Robot

I actually hate it :p
    I used to be addicted to it, played every class start to end, then I stared over.
    Then hated it over again.

12. Mr.whisker52

Mr.whisker52 Astral Cartographer

great idea but these shouldn't be able to jump very high because like that other guy said you could just fly over walls into secured areas

13. GunmanRex

GunmanRex Oxygen Tank

Sounds like a awesome idea, loving the getting knocked off idea, I support it.:up:

Alternal likes this.
  14. Alternal

That's the thing though, they're supposed to be able to fly high.
    If anything support your buildings more hahah!
    And plus imagine getting knocked off at the top of the map! You better hope you can catch your board.
    (Also edited OP, the Flight Pattern part for those interested :rainbow: )

15. ProjectRay12

ProjectRay12 Phantasmal Quasar

Like the idea, but like someone else said, they should probably go a max of some 60 blocks about starting position, and go very slow when they get there. The higher you go, the slower the ride is, which would make sense. Something this agile doesn't really seem fair to be able to fly out of every players reach from the ground. Another thing to counteract the height would have to be monsters like harpies in Terraria (sorry for making the reference, but it's so easy to reference to Terraria!) that could attack the player/knock them off. Just to clarify, even when going slow it should still go faster than walking probably, or maybe as fast as walking. All in all, it's a good idea and I would love to see it (I can see a Rainbow Trail now... :rainbow:)

16. Alternal

I guess that would help with balancing but being stubborn as I am I still prefer the original :rofl:
    Another thing to add would maybe be a G or Turbulence meter that rises gradually as you get higher, and if it maxes out you lose control. But that might be a little too much to do for something little like this.
    But I guess something like a 60 or so height limit over the current area would be perfectly fine.

ProjectRay12 likes this.
  17. HammerMagic

HammerMagic Industrial Terraformer

I like this idea. Quick/Light and agile flying vehicles are the best. Especially if they focus more on dodging and things of that nature. Maybe have it consume fuel or something, so that people can't just be like "LOL LATER GOIN 2 SPAEC" and avoid any problems that happen to be occurring down below? Like the higher/faster you go, the more it consumes it's crystal or something? Or just have the fuel be found underground or something, so you have a reason to go on the ground sometimes instead of just flying around like some sort of majestic space surfer jackass. Which lets face it, if we could pollute the sky with our colored vapor trails, we'd do constant flybys on our ground based friends and laugh at them.

Alternal likes this.
  18. Alternal

Maybe it could slowly drain your battery power? Since that seems to take the role of "mana" or whatever.
    And on top of that, there could be rarities or levels of crystals, so the higher ones will last longer than the lower ones.

19. Jarod

Jarod Cosmic Narwhal

needs to be balanced so either

knocked off
    low altitude
    or consumes energy (like what you use for lazer guns)

also if they were randomly generated(good idea)
    maybe different stats like height, energy consumption,speed,turning speed

20. Alternal

I've pretty much covered all of those exact issues. It even says in red that you get knocked off....