NPC Stowaways!

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by H-Alo, Nov 3, 2013.

1. H-Alo

H-Alo Phantasmal Quasar

You are floating in space, enjoying the view of the stars, when you hear a bump. It's coming from the storage compartment. "Oh crap, that's where my Golden Spaples (Space Apples) are kept! It better not be those theiving space monkoos (a cross between a monkey and a kangaroo) again!"
    You move towards the storage compartment, barely making a sound. You hear a bump again. You whip out your trusty space gun, and burst in. "GIT OUTTA MAH SPAPLES!" You cry, aiming at the intruder.
    You see a floran/human/ape/hylotl/glitch/novakid/avian (<take your pick) girl/boy (<ditto) cowering in the corner.
    [:wtf:----------> :catface:]

Yep. Stowaways. They can give you requests for help. They might ask to join you. They might be your long-lost brother's friend's sister's cousin's father's brother's adopted son's girl friend's ex boyfriend's sister's sexy friend.
    They might just want some food. They may want to kill you, and take everything that is yours for their own.
    Depends.
    It might just be a cat.

They'll appear rarely, and you'll only discover them once you're in space (don't try to sit in your storage compartment waiting for a sexy avian to come along. They won't appear. Actually, you might get a blob fish.).
    They'll de-spawn off your space-ship if you die on it, or if you leave the ship for one reason or another. They might drop loot of uncommon to relatively rare-ness (when killed, as long as they're hostile). This way, Their quests would be harder than the average side-quest, but yield better rewards. This way, the benefits outweigh the... the... bad stuff.

Starbound = Space = Spaceships = ships = stowaways.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

Svarr Chanston likes this.
  3. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

Your ship is your safehaven. having things bump into it without your consent is a bad idea, if it ends up wanting to kill you there is the horrible chance of being spawn camped. i have to give this a no.

4. H-Alo

H-Alo Phantasmal Quasar

Hahaha, I know. But, haven't you heard of space-battles? Or Space-pirates? I'd be darned if you hadn't. You'd probably end in an infinite loop of respawning in a dangerous enviroment.

5. Autzome

i have, i just don't want to be bombarded and no longer have a place to relax. while space battles are confirmed to be later after release. i don't think you'll enjoy being spawn camped indefinitely.

safe havens are safe havens for a reason, sorry.

Edit : i should also mention that this has been suggested before.

6. H-Alo

H-Alo Phantasmal Quasar

Oh really? Ok. Sorry about that then.
    *sigh*
    :cry:

7. Autzome

it's alright. i commend the amount of energy you had and the fact that you made the thread.

you voiced your idea and that's the big important part.

8. Vampiz

Vampiz Pangalactic Porcupine

Despite the safe-haven thing, I like the idea. Maybe a way of the game knowing not to spawn a stowaway unless you're properly equipped/high enough level to deal with them. Maybe even an option.

Invisifat likes this.
  9. H-Alo

H-Alo Phantasmal Quasar

That's a good idea...

10. Annoctatio

Annoctatio Pangalactic Porcupine

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic much? :D

11. H-Alo

H-Alo Phantasmal Quasar

Nope.
    Not at all.

12. Annoctatio

Annoctatio Pangalactic Porcupine

Aww. Really?

When I saw this I just had this huge flashback of this.

13. Torii

Torii Void-Bound Voyager

Imagine populating your own village/city with stowaways from various races and all walks of life. Your home planet would be a cultural utopia. And then maybe some blobs and cats to add flavor to the mix!

It's a romantic idea. I like it!

Ianflow likes this.
  14. Ianflow

Ianflow Big Damn Hero

Heheh, you would love wossname civilizations, or "Melting Pot Cities", like Ancient Rome, London, or how the United States became.
    I wouldn't mind that, and I think the devs honestly plan something like that, dropping npcs off on planets for them to live there.

Personally, I think if you die in space combat, the encounter/thing should be ended, so no spawn camping

15. CondescendedWow

CondescendedWow Supernova

16. B1gmonumo

B1gmonumo Space Hobo

Yeah that would be soooo cool. But jumping on Autzome's back, THe ship is your safehaven and if there's a wierdo in the back, and he wnats to kill you... YOu die, respawn at the same place, die, repeat... So maybe the stowaway could be like, really afraid and want to help you, knowing that if he doesnt he gets killed or something...

But nice idea! YOLO!:whaaat:

17. B1gmonumo

B1gmonumo Space Hobo

Im not a mop btw

18. Trent

Trent Big Damn Hero

There is the difficulty of explaining how they got up to a ship that only the captain and his friends can beam to... Maybe if/ when we can build ship docks.

A base you build is a different matter though. Also, I can imagine npcs following you to the edge of their settlement begging to go with you.

19. Gameguru09

Gameguru09 Void-Bound Voyager

Maybe have a button that makes your cargo bay be locked so pesky stowaways can't get in.

20. CondescendedWow

CondescendedWow Supernova

Yea but that'd be like tossing away a perfect opportunity for awesome loot or just a rare event overall.